Why did this happen?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Why did this happen?

Postby Murdin » Fri May 23, 2008 2:31 am

Hey guys,

I recently hit 61 on my tankadin. He is my main and really one and only real toon. As a result, I started going to outland recently. Tonight I had the opportunity to tank Ramparts. This was my first time in the place and everything went smoothly, I held agro well, the heals kept me mana'd up and only had one death due to agro being pulled off of me against Omar. That is until we got to the final boss. As soon as his dragon dropped down I would run over and engage it. I would grab agro and then I would proceed to drop dead shortly thereafter which lead to not one, but three wipes before everyone decided I sucked and it wasn't going to get done.

Really put a damper on my spirits there as that was probably the most fun I'd had in WoW in quite some time(until the multiple wipes of course). I'm hoping it's something with my gear and not me just actually being a terrible tank. So here is my Armory, please tell me what I can improve if anything. Thank you in advance

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... l&n=Murdin
Murdin

Postby Infernosaint » Fri May 23, 2008 2:35 am

I tanked ramps in lvl 62, as a tank noob, and got told to strafe tank the dragon.. i was like: huh? and then they tole me to face the dragon away form the raid, and then strafe left and right all the time.. never been there since, so i dont know how important it is, but it seemed easy enough when i did it back then. might be the tactics
If you don't fall over when looking at my zomgawesome stats, i'm in prot or RP gear.
Infernosaint

Postby Davram » Fri May 23, 2008 2:44 am

There would be 2 reasons I can think of.

He has 2 abilities that realy can eat at your health. Fireball and Fire breath.

The Fire breath is a burst of breath you can see and can usually soak up for a tasty heal (hello mana :D ).

The Fireball is a different beast altogether. It hit's a bit harder but it also leaves a patch on the ground that will stay burning for about 20-30 seconds. This does damage to you every second and eats your health like a kid in a candyshop.

To tank this little lizard I use the rotate method. Get yourself about 3/4 of the way across the platform. Face him away from the party. Then when he coughs up a fur-ball of fire (he rear's up slightly). move to the left till there is no patch of flame at your feet. this is about 3-5 steps. rinse and repeat. before you know it you have a Johnny Cash forming. (God Bless that ring of fire :D )
Davram

Postby Ashmadai » Fri May 23, 2008 5:31 am

Yeah, you just have to be mobile tanking him, and not stand in the fire he leaves on the ground. Put up fire resist aura also, and if your gear is not great at level 61, which it surely is not, your healer will have to be on their game a little.
Ashmadai

Postby Seloei » Fri May 23, 2008 6:41 am

The reason why you dropped was because you ate a fire breath and didn't move out of the left over fire patch on the ground. He has an insane burst potential, when i first tanked him (yay 59!) i kept dropping like a brick until i started backing up when he flame bursted and used a fire res aura.
Seloei

Postby dmok » Fri May 23, 2008 7:05 am

also tell your healer to move up when the dragon lands. I ran into range issues when teh dragon landed a few times, and died before the healer got back into range and healed me.
dmok

Postby Shoju » Fri May 23, 2008 7:16 am

Ok, so I know that gear isn't a 'big' concern at 61, but here is what I did, and It helped ALOT> Go to the AH, buy as much of a complete set of

bogslayer ------- of the sorcerer as you can. any thing that you can't get int he sorcerer variety, get in the champion flavor.

Part of the problem is that you have a lot of gear that gives you 0 stamina. Gear isn't 'as' important at 61 as compared to 70, but not having HP is still going to kill you quick as a tank.

I can't imagine it being that expensive on the alliance side since you have 3 paladin races, but if nothing else, get sorcerer, champion, and eagle. all have stamina, all are going to help you stay alive and maintain aggro.
Shoju

Re: Why did this happen?

Postby Peryl » Fri May 23, 2008 8:34 am

Murdin wrote:Hey guys,

I recently hit 61 on my tankadin. He is my main and really one and only real toon. As a result, I started going to outland recently. Tonight I had the opportunity to tank Ramparts. This was my first time in the place and everything went smoothly, I held agro well, the heals kept me mana'd up and only had one death due to agro being pulled off of me against Omar. That is until we got to the final boss. As soon as his dragon dropped down I would run over and engage it. I would grab agro and then I would proceed to drop dead shortly thereafter which lead to not one, but three wipes before everyone decided I sucked and it wasn't going to get done.

Really put a damper on my spirits there as that was probably the most fun I'd had in WoW in quite some time(until the multiple wipes of course). I'm hoping it's something with my gear and not me just actually being a terrible tank. So here is my Armory, please tell me what I can improve if anything. Thank you in advance

Ok, couple things here:

Gear

Well, no other way to say it your gear needs some work. Your hit points (Stam) is really low. Go to the AH, drop some coin on some new rings. I forget the name, just search for your level.

A. Stack stam on your rings not int. Or both, but get some Stam rings quick. I believe I had +21Stam, +12 Int or something like that. Or +32 stam rings are around 61 level.

B. Fill out your light forged breatplate either with +9 stam (2~3G) blue gems from the AH or you can fill out for the small spellpower bonus. All stam is probably best.

C. Your Shoulders are Agi/Int--find some Stam/Int shoulders quick. Str/Agi/Stam would work too but get some Stam.

D. Try to upgade your cape, either the AH or when you run BF you can get http://www.wowwiki.com/Perfectly_Balanced_Cape

The Dragon

1. You almost certainly died from the fire patches on the ground. What I noticed when I did the fight is that they don't look like much--just a little patch of fire, hmph. But that stuff will burn you up big time! You gotta keep strafing left to right and stay out of it. The dragon breath is not nearly as bad as the fire patches.

If you are not sure, check your combat log it will tell you what happened.

2. Get some fire resist gear and fire protection potions from the AH. It's not that expensive and can save your butt. I had a fire resist helm and armor, and some fire resist potions. I found that I actually stood in the fire patch for a little while by accident and the resist/potion probably saved me dying. Chug the fire resist potion right before the fight, it helps the first few breaths and if you accidently step in a blob.

Now get back in there tank! :D Don't get discouraged, we all had these kind of nights.
Peryl
70 Tankadin
Muradin
Peryl

Postby Davram » Fri May 23, 2008 8:51 am

D'oh!

Forgot to do the basic gear check.

Sorry about that.

*Points at the above posts*

Yup get some outlands greens, the double stamina is rather lovely. Champion, Sorcerer, elder. The three flavours of stunning stats at such an early level. They outrank a lot of old world instance gear and they have twice the flavour from 57 onwards. If you sacrifice your intellect for stamina that just means a few more drinks in your bag. I have a friend that's a mage so I just give her a nudge when I log on and I get my provisions for the night.

Back to the subject, fill in the slots with some tasty greens and socket that armour and you should be able to stand tall and soak up a bit more damage. As soon as I hit 59 I looked at the AH and I had 3 levels of outlands greens to rummage around in. They are usually "Fairly" cheap depending on your alliance AH. Mine goes for between 5-15g for most gear.

If your a bit thrifty then I would go to nibble on some voidwalkers or bash a few orcs. The runecloth/netherweave and any outlands greens will sell well on the AH. In a day or two you will be able to splash out with the extra cash.

Don't be discouraged. Outlands quests throw loads of good paladin gear on you with tasty stamina.
Davram

Postby Splug » Fri May 23, 2008 9:37 am

Most likely, if the dragon was destroying you, it was the flame patches. I recommend grabbing a mod called Grim Reaper, it gives you an easily-viewable list of the last X health changes leading up to the death of yourself or any member of your party/raid. It's great for diagnosing what went wrong.

In this case, if the last 3-4 entries were fire damage, you probably stood in a liquid blaze.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Murdin » Fri May 23, 2008 10:27 am

Thanks for all the responses guys, was really a pick me up.

Yeah, I knew my gear was somewhat of an issue, I realized a little late that I should have been stacking Stam over int as the heals keep me pretty well mana'd up.

I'm slowly trying to fix the issue. Outland greens are cheap on my Server's AH but you can't find the ones you really need. Mugthol in my experience is notorious for having a less than stellar AH least on the Alliance side.

But I will be giving Ramps another go tonight and employing these tactics you guys have laid out for my scaly friend.
Murdin

Postby Kathane » Fri May 23, 2008 1:06 pm

Murdin wrote:But I will be giving Ramps another go tonight and employing these tactics you guys have laid out for my scaly friend.

One other thing to be aware of is that when Nazan (the dragon) lands, he does so with an empty aggro table. And the only person generating ranged aggro at that point is...your healer.

So, be aware, when Vazruden (the orc) gets down to about 10% life, serve him up a heaping helping of Hammer of Justice and let the DPS burn him down. Give Nazan the Captain America treatment and start turning him away from the group. A dead healer makes this a really tough fight :lol:
"What's the kill order?"
"This room, the next room, the hallway, and then the boss."
*throws shield*

Kathane

Postby Murdin » Sat May 24, 2008 1:11 am

Hey guys,

I went ahead and took your advice on gear and upgraded/replaced the things I could. We also ran Ramps twice more and I was more successful, actually finishing the fights this time around and improving my tanking rep and personal ego a bit as well.

Heres a link to the new and improved Murdin, hows he looking so far?

Murdin

Postby Peryl » Sat May 24, 2008 6:27 am

Murdin wrote:Hey guys,

I went ahead and took your advice on gear and upgraded/replaced the things I could. We also ran Ramps twice more and I was more successful, actually finishing the fights this time around and improving my tanking rep and personal ego a bit as well.

Heres a link to the new and improved Murdin, hows he looking so far?

Gratz! Your stuff looks great now. <Thumbs up>

If you need a trinket pick up http://www.wowwiki.com/Charm_of_Alacrity
Peryl
70 Tankadin
Muradin
Peryl

Postby Kaelie » Sat May 24, 2008 9:08 am

Kathane wrote:
Murdin wrote:But I will be giving Ramps another go tonight and employing these tactics you guys have laid out for my scaly friend.

One other thing to be aware of is that when Nazan (the dragon) lands, he does so with an empty aggro table. And the only person generating ranged aggro at that point is...your healer.

You can hit Nazan with Avenger's Shield while he's still flying, actually, makes picking him up when he lands really easy. I usually pop him before Vazruden even hops off, and he comes for me every time.
Kaelie

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents