Remove Advertisements

At 61 - Where to Place the Last of my TPs

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

At 61 - Where to Place the Last of my TPs

Postby Scootiwutams » Mon May 19, 2008 3:21 pm

I'm finally at 61 now and find that I'm having trouble figuring out where to place the last of my talent points from here on to 70.

As of right now I've placed 47 into prot and 5 points in Holy for the mana bonuses because as a tank she's a mana-drunkard. That said, I'm kinda hoping that based on my current build if I could get some recommendations for where to put the last of my points over the next few levels. I am personally HORRID when it comes to reading something and thinking "Cool!" and clicking before stopping to consider how practical it'll actually be, so in attempt to avoid that I'm hoping to get a bit more advice either on filling out more talents on the prot tree, or expanding further into holy or even ret.

The only thing I've vaguely considered so far 5 more points into holy for strength, then 1 more after that for the far extending auras. Although not especially useful for 5 person runs, my thought is that it -might- be beneficial when I start to PvP more frequently for the purposes of obtaining few easy epics prior to heroics.

Here is my WoW Armory link, any help will be appreciated.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-tale ... ootiwutams
---
Pawn takes queen; reality check mate.
Scootiwutams

Postby Aloette » Mon May 19, 2008 6:56 pm

First -- there are stickies with common specs that you should take a look at.

Two -- avoid the holy tree for tanking builds at all costs, unless you are going for an offtank/offhealer type build for raiding. There is nothing in the holy tree that is valuable on a pure taking value.

10% intellect of a paladin in tanking gear is not very much. With proper gearing, enchanting and gemming, it won't provide more than 10 intellect pre-Kara, as you will likely have less than 100 intellect. Benediction is much better for prolonging your mana pool.

Take a loot at the stickies, and consider the standard 0/48/13 or 0/49/12 specs to start.
Aloette

Postby Ciandin » Tue May 20, 2008 8:03 am

As I leveled from 55 to 70 I had 20 or so points in holy to get some +healing and the spell crit/mana return talent. This allowed me to either tank or heal instances from Ramparts through Old Hillsbrad. I also feel it gave me less downtime when I was grinding.

That being said, this was before I happened across this website. When I hit 70, I found this place, read as much as I could, then respecced to a more tanking oriented build.

If you do choose to stay in the holy tree, don't bother with the increased strength or auras, just focus on healing talents so you can be a decent half assed healer if your getting into a group.
Fighting over the internet is like the special olympics... even if you win, you're still retarded.
Ciandin

Postby Morpheren » Tue May 20, 2008 8:10 am

Ciandin wrote:As I leveled from 55 to 70 I had 20 or so points in holy to get some +healing and the spell crit/mana return talent. This allowed me to either tank or heal instances from Ramparts through Old Hillsbrad. I also feel it gave me less downtime when I was grinding.

That being said, this was before I happened across this website. When I hit 70, I found this place, read as much as I could, then respecced to a more tanking oriented build.

If you do choose to stay in the holy tree, don't bother with the increased strength or auras, just focus on healing talents so you can be a decent half assed healer if your getting into a group.

honestly while leveling i started with 10 points in holy and then went into prot, to get uninterruptable heals. due to the way my gear was itemized (lots of sorcerer gear) i had a decent mana pool and crap tastic +heals (maybe 200-300 fully buffed) however i LOVED popping on concentration aura and healing myself if the healer went down.

Best example, we were on some boss in BM (2nd or 3rd) and god knows why (maybe adds on second, its been along time memory is fuzzy) but the healer went down with like 10% left. so RF on I just heal tanked it. I felt badass.
whatisboom.com - Two parts rocket fuel, one part genius.
Chef Koriel, Guild Master of Fury Untold on Sen'jin
Morpheren

Postby Aloette » Tue May 20, 2008 8:47 am

Morpheren wrote:
Ciandin wrote:As I leveled from 55 to 70 I had 20 or so points in holy to get some +healing and the spell crit/mana return talent. This allowed me to either tank or heal instances from Ramparts through Old Hillsbrad. I also feel it gave me less downtime when I was grinding.

honestly while leveling i started with 10 points in holy and then went into prot, to get uninterruptable heals. due to the way my gear was itemized (lots of sorcerer gear) i had a decent mana pool and crap tastic +heals (maybe 200-300 fully buffed) however i LOVED popping on concentration aura and healing myself if the healer went down.

Best example, we were on some boss in BM (2nd or 3rd) and god knows why (maybe adds on second, its been along time memory is fuzzy) but the healer went down with like 10% left. so RF on I just heal tanked it. I felt badass.

while that may have worked in that specefic scenario, it's i'll advised to heal yourself while tanking. You are no longer able to block attacks, and i'm pretty sure you lose your avoidance as well -- so most of the time you end off worse in the end anyways.
Aloette

Postby Morpheren » Tue May 20, 2008 8:52 am

Aloette wrote:
Morpheren wrote:

while that may have worked in that specefic scenario, it's i'll advised to heal yourself while tanking. You are no longer able to block attacks, and i'm pretty sure you lose your avoidance as well -- so most of the time you end off worse in the end anyways.

you can't parry or block while casting. hardly a concern in regular BM, once you start hitting hero's its a little different.
whatisboom.com - Two parts rocket fuel, one part genius.
Chef Koriel, Guild Master of Fury Untold on Sen'jin
Morpheren

Postby jere » Tue May 20, 2008 9:06 am

Aloette wrote:
Morpheren wrote:

Yes, when tanking serious content that is true. But for levelling and lower level instances, it is perfectly fine. I did it all the time levelling up in various situations. Once you hit harder stuff, it becomes a no no though.
jere

Return to Basic Training & Talents