Threat/mitigation spec for BT/SW25 (advice/opinion request)

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Threat/mitigation spec for BT/SW25 (advice/opinion request)

Postby baneoftruth » Mon May 19, 2008 12:44 pm

Up until this point I've been using a 'weird' spec that gave me 2 points into Imp. SotC so that I could offer 2% raid crit while not tanking. Well, I finally discussed things with my fellow officers, and we've decided that I should just take a threat spec. So here's the question...

I was originally planning a cookie cutter spec, plus 3pts. Reckoning and 1pt in Imp. Judgement, but I realized that I would be dropping Spell Warding to do so. (see here)

Now, normally I'd think, "meh, not biggie", except that the spell warding has definitely effected Flames of Azzinoth tanking, and I'm sure it helps on Kalecgos (especially considering that I tank portals 0-5). So here's the question that I pose to you, my respected tankadin community.

Is it worth keeping 2 points in Spell Warding (or switching points into PoJ for spell avoidance), or is the full theory-craft threat build above not going to have a noticeable effect on the spell damage taken in BT/SW25?

Honestly, I am still leaning towards keeping Spell Warding from a mitigation standpoint, but the potential threat increase from picking up Reckoning again is very tantalizing...
baneoftruth

Postby DJSticky » Mon May 19, 2008 1:30 pm

I used to only spec in to Spell Warding on Sunday for tanking Illidan's Flames. I no longer spec into it for anything.

I"ve done Kalec through Twins with several specs none of which had spell warding. Currently I"m using 0/40/21 with great success, I've done a 1 and 1 half hour clear to twins with it, a full MH and BT and had no issues with the loss of spell warding or AD.

I am sold on this spec and the only way I would ever spec back is if I find an encounter that consists of me picking up 3 or more untauntable adds over and over, or I fight a quad wielding boss that hits for less then 7k each.
DJSticky

Postby baneoftruth » Mon May 19, 2008 1:42 pm

I don't know if I could handle your spec, Dj...I think I'd feel naked without AS. Although, I do see what you're doing with Crusade and Sanc Aura...
baneoftruth

Postby Lowgrus » Thu May 22, 2008 3:13 am

I've completley quit using avengers shield it cost way to much mana tbh. But I just can't imagine. not having ardent defender. And I'd feel really low hp. ill have mess with it a little i guess becusae if these people are swearing by it so much.....
Lowgrus

Postby Worldie » Thu May 22, 2008 4:04 am

AD is not that effective in SWP, most of the times you'll just go 50%->0 without any chance for AD to do anything.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby tankinpally » Sat May 31, 2008 7:57 am

Honestly The only time AD has really been a life saver is when the healers are being sloppy.

Doing BT clear now Mting alot of the bosses, i haven't tried the sanc aura spec, i can see honestly using it at my gear lvl for bt/ SWP i think id just re4spec for flame tanking the illi adds, but then maybe not cause i ten to usually pop wings destro pot and pick up with righteousness judgment. but i do get pretty low in that fight in my FR gear, and i do take a bit of a hp hit so thats the one fight i could prolly say id mess around a bit with it and im unsure but other then that fuck trowing my shield and having argent defender, the dps loves having a tank pump out stupid amounts of threat. And at this gear lvl the healers shouldn't let you sit below 50% hp for more then a sec if your mting or its there fault.
tankinpally

Postby Elsie » Sat May 31, 2008 11:57 pm

AD is not that effective in SWP, most of the times you'll just go 50%->0 without any chance for AD to do anything.

It's actually quite effective on muru and, for me, twins. In fact, I wouldn't dare do muru without it.
Elsie

Postby Lieris » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:14 pm

This week AD saved my life when tanking enraged Kalecgos (Insignia and Seed makes for a huge AD range) and when running from Felmyst breaths with all the skeletons whacking my back. I can see the appeal of a threat spec because we scale so poorly and the talents can make up for that (I am very tempted to experiment with it) but to call AD not effective in Sunwell is so far in my experience very untrue.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Extremity » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:39 pm

Off topic, I don't know why people complain about respeccing for Illidan flames, I tank them without any problems with a 0/40/21 spec and no spell warding.
Extremity

Postby Lowgrus » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:41 am

Extremity wrote:Off topic, I don't know why people complain about respeccing for Illidan flames, I tank them without any problems with a 0/40/21 spec and no spell warding.

its not so much complaining about it, its just making it easier.

First time I did hydross I used resist gear.

It just makes since to start out attempting illidan as 0/49/12. I mean 20 more defense makes quite a difference. Ardent Defender could definitly save you on the flames.

For a progression fight in resist gear it only makes since to make it the easiest possible, plus guess what spell warding im sure makes a difference to. Althought none of those things are completely nessacary, they defintily help in easing the encounter.

Now after you outgear the encounter stay 0/40/21 until then spec cookie cutter and not give your healers or yourself a heart attack.

1. Max Fire Resist
2. Uncrittable- Nice to have Anticipation and Reckoning and all that good stuff for the single target threat.
3.HP-Duel Stam trinket will help Ardent defender make more of a difference here to :D.
Lowgrus

Postby Lore » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:18 am

Worldie wrote:AD is not that effective in SWP, most of the times you'll just go 50%->0 without any chance for AD to do anything.

It only has to save your life once to be worth the 5 points :P
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Jonesy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:23 am

By that logic 0/40/21 only has to allow your DPS to kill the boss before he would kill you once to be worth it. Just because you can't measure that happening doesn't mean it never does.
Jonesy

Postby Levantine » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:34 am

Jonesy wrote:By that logic 0/40/21 only has to allow your DPS to kill the boss before he would kill you once to be worth it. Just because you can't measure that happening doesn't mean it never does.

Only ever happens if you're DPS are actually threat capped though, which you can rarely be sure of, since Worldie has shown the crazyness that can even be the Sanctity Aura-less threat.
Levantine

Postby Splug » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:14 pm

It's not quite the same, but I've been sitting in 1/3 improved defensive stance forever, and the only reason I went 3/3 was for Alythess tanking. After a couple nights of that, I've pulled the points back out for threat tallents (imp heroic strike). It's not quite the same, but for what it's worth I'd say 4% spell damage is one of the first things you can pull out.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Return to Basic Training & Talents