How does this odd tankadin work?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Postby Levantine » Mon May 19, 2008 11:58 am

Vengeance is the reason that Levie is a Human instead of a Blood Elf, to be honest.
Levantine

Postby Morpheren » Mon May 19, 2008 11:59 am

haha, i've got a 51 human paladin, but can't bring myself to leveling her again.
whatisboom.com - Two parts rocket fuel, one part genius.
Chef Koriel, Guild Master of Fury Untold on Sen'jin
Morpheren

Postby jere » Mon May 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Morpheren wrote:
eh, seems about the same as SoR, but i guess we're talking at lower +dmg's so eh.

I'd still like to have it.

Lol, did you just quote yourself? :)

Also, it stacks up pretty good at medium spell dmg levels as well. I run with 440ish unbuffed and it still outperforms SoR/JoR in my gear buffed (around 800 spell dmg) in terms of TPS (or course, only on fights where I can use it effectively). If you start getting higher than that, I don't know.

It's a nice spell, though it is situational. Still it has some nice niche uses too, like if you are one of many tanks in a boss encounter that switches/dumps aggro, it is handy to build up a stack and then judge and switch to SoR/JoR so that SoV is still ticking for a really nice aggro boost at transitions.

Back when we did SSC, I used to use it for hydross phase changes and Leo's demon->human switches for example.
jere

Postby Morpheren » Mon May 19, 2008 12:30 pm

jere wrote:
Morpheren wrote:
eh, seems about the same as SoR, but i guess we're talking at lower +dmg's so eh.

I'd still like to have it.

Lol, did you just quote yourself? :)

Also, it stacks up pretty good at medium spell dmg levels as well. I run with 440ish unbuffed and it still outperforms SoR/JoR in my gear buffed (around 800 spell dmg) in terms of TPS (or course, only on fights where I can use it effectively). If you start getting higher than that, I don't know.

It's a nice spell, though it is situational. Still it has some nice niche uses too, like if you are one of many tanks in a boss encounter that switches/dumps aggro, it is handy to build up a stack and then judge and switch to SoR/JoR so that SoV is still ticking for a really nice aggro boost at transitions.

Back when we did SSC, I used to use it for hydross phase changes and Leo's demon->human switches for example.

yes i did, but only to respond to worldie's post :D

Yeah, I'd like SoV horde side. Would you downgrade from say the Cudgel to the LC mace to for a fight like VR, hydross, Leo, or Bloodboil, to help ensure that a stack didn' t fall off?

or is the 1.9 -> 2.7 not worth the ~40 or so spell dmg loss?
Morpheren

Postby Worldie » Mon May 19, 2008 1:06 pm

I'd downgrade if it's 40 spelldam loss but i wouldnt downgrade from the lollipop for example.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Morpheren » Mon May 19, 2008 1:28 pm

Worldie wrote:I'd downgrade if it's 40 spelldam loss but i wouldnt downgrade from the lollipop for example.

it may be 50, i think its 159 LC to 209 (maybe?) cudgel
Morpheren

Postby jere » Mon May 19, 2008 2:40 pm

Honestly, I wouldn't downgrade at all. The difference between the two speeds is mostly psychological. The slower speed does have an advantage for sure, but the difference is fairly minimal. I used the S2 gavel for a very long time (1.6 speed), and had not trouble. The hard part was convincing myself to ignore stack fall offs from an "oh crap" perspective and just be patient and watch my threat over long periods of time instead.
jere

Postby Aloette » Mon May 19, 2008 6:42 pm

Pretty much everything has been said.

First and foremost you need to exceed 110% of the other pally to steal aggro. As the fight progresses, the 10% additonal threat that you need to reach the 110% threshold is only going to get bigger and bigger. 10% at the beginning of the fight may only mean a difference of a few hundred or thousand threat points. As the encounter progresses 10% could mean 10k+ threat.

Secondly, if he/she opens with a frisbee, judges crusader, exorcises, stacks SoV, pops wings and judges vengeance while spamming exorcism he/she is going to have a huge threat-lead.

Third, he/she is generating reactive threat from holy shield and retribution aura and even thorns, which you are not. If you dig through some random WWS reports of paladin tanks you can get an idea of how much the reactive threat from holy shield produces.
Aloette

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents