Noob question about Gems

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Noob question about Gems

Postby sherck » Fri May 16, 2008 7:16 am

Can another color gem slot into a Meta Gem slot?

I am looking to make the Tanktronic Goggles and was trying to decide what gems I needed to slot.

It has both a Yellow Slot and a Meta Slot. I know I can put any color gem in the Yellow slot but have not been able to find conclusively anywhere if a "lower" color gem can be placed in the Meta slot or can only Meta gems go there?

Thanks for the responses.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Tyaera » Fri May 16, 2008 7:18 am

only metas

with the goggles specifically the best option is an enduring talasite

you get 6 stam from the gem plus six from the bonus, so you effectively get 4 defense rating for free

if you just socket a solid star you still get 12 stam but no defense
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Tyaera

Postby dmok » Fri May 16, 2008 7:18 am

only meta gems can go in meta slots.

you shouldn't really be looking to put a non-meta in anyways, as the metas usually provide a significant boost over even rare coloured gems
dmok

Postby sherck » Fri May 16, 2008 8:19 am

dmok wrote:only meta gems can go in meta slots.

you shouldn't really be looking to put a non-meta in anyways, as the metas usually provide a significant boost over even rare coloured gems

True, but my tanking gear to be once I hit those level where I can equip the Tanktronics have almost no gem count so I cannot get the proper number of gems anyway to activate the Meta.

I was just hoping to be able to put in a lesser gem while I level and once I get enough gemmed gear to activate the Meta, I could then get one and replace the lesser gem.

Thanks for the quick responses.
sherck

Postby Ashmadai » Fri May 16, 2008 9:07 am

Don't the tankatronics just require like a few blue gems to activate? All you need is some solid stars of elune in a couple pieces(they should be in every slot you have that isn't the goggles) and you'll activate the meta.
Ashmadai

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri May 16, 2008 9:51 am

Meta sockets have no requirements themselves, they adopt the meta gem's requirements. If you put a skyfire, it'll have a skyfire's requirements. Same for an earthstorm's
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Estrela » Fri May 16, 2008 3:30 pm

sherck wrote:
dmok wrote:only meta gems can go in meta slots.

True, but my tanking gear to be once I hit those level where I can equip the Tanktronics have almost no gem count so I cannot get the proper number of gems anyway to activate the Meta.

I was just hoping to be able to put in a lesser gem while I level and once I get enough gemmed gear to activate the Meta, I could then get one and replace the lesser gem.

Thanks for the quick responses.
I had that issue when I was leveling my paladin, too. Get the chest out of ramparts, it's a POS compared to other chest peices at its level, but you can use it to meet the gem requirement - until you get the pants from Terokkar or the shoulders out of SP/UB.

It seemed that while leveling up, all the easy-to-get socketable items were helmets :/
Estrela

Postby Ciandin » Mon May 19, 2008 9:04 am

The Auchindon meta gems have lower meta requirements as well, so you can grab one of them for the time being until you have enough gems to socket an Earthstorm.
Fighting over the internet is like the special olympics... even if you win, you're still retarded.
Ciandin

Postby Shoju » Mon May 19, 2008 10:40 am

There is the fearless Girdle that comes from Killing terrorclaw in Zangarmarsh. It's a decent tank belt, with 2 sockets. I have that and my tankatronics, and I'm able to meet my meta reqs. At 70, this becomes REALLY easy with Felsteel Gloves and leggings. that's 5 more sockets.
Shoju

Postby Estrela » Mon May 19, 2008 4:40 pm

Shoju wrote:There is the fearless Girdle that comes from Killing terrorclaw in Zangarmarsh. It's a decent tank belt, with 2 sockets. I have that and my tankatronics, and I'm able to meet my meta reqs. At 70, this becomes REALLY easy with Felsteel Gloves and leggings. that's 5 more sockets.
I totally forgot about that belt xD I had judgement belt+bracers, so I didn't want to use them. :p

There's also a pair of pants from the Mana Bomb quest line that are pretty nice. I used them until I hit 70 on my paladin - just socketed them with glowing shadow draenites. They're not tanking pants, they're full of spell damage, but they're great prot-grinding pants. Beware, though, they're less of pants and more of kneepads. http://www.wowhead.com/?item=25929
Estrela

Return to Basic Training & Talents