WotLK Spec?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

What spec are you going to use to grind through levels 70-80?

Protection
73%
Retribution
23%
Holy
5%

Total votes : 133

Postby Ordin » Thu May 29, 2008 1:15 am

I'll be staying prot for instance grinding. I doubt level 71 quest reward greens are going to be replacing my epics, and people are always in need of a good tank. I figure instances will be the best place to level.
-Ordin
Seraph of Divine Retribution

http://drthrall.com

Ordin

Postby sherck » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:10 am

I am the single person to reply "Holy" because I am making the assumption that virtually every healing class is going to spec to their DPS tree (Ret, Shadow, Feral, Enhance) in order to level and that there will be a sever shortage of healers for instance groups.

Assuming that the same paradigm applies in WoTLK as in BC, if I can instance level most of the way to 80, then going back and grinding the quests for money will be time well spent.

That is assuming that I can get to level 70 by expansion time, of course. Level 53 and working on it.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby moduspwnens » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:16 am

sherck wrote:Assuming that the same paradigm applies in WoTLK as in BC, if I can instance level most of the way to 80, then going back and grinding the quests for money will be time well spent.

This toon was instance leveled from 60-70. I've been too lazy to actually go back and do those quests (with SSO quests being easier and more centralized), but I had fun. Be sure you're an enchanter to DE yourself some shards!
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Melathys » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:22 am

I leveled prot from 30 on up. don't intend to change.

besides, like others have said. Instance leveling to level cap, then getting mad cash for quests is full of win.
Melathys

Postby moduspwnens » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:38 am

Melathys wrote:I leveled prot from 30 on up. don't intend to change.

besides, like others have said. Instance leveling to level cap, then getting mad cash for quests is full of win.

And also, assuming the way they do reputation stays the same (i.e., quests can be done up through exalted, lower-level instances only to a certain point), it's easier to get exalted with factions, too. I did my quests in Hellfire after instance-leveling to 70, and it was WAY easier to hit exalted.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Questioner » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:08 am

I tried ret before, and I didnt like it. Prot from 21-70.

Now, I had to put together a RET set for Brutallus. Farming primal shadows I can kill the mobs in a single gcd. I don't think I have any choice but to be Ret for questing.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Postby Arnock » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:22 am

Snake-Aes wrote:They intend in keeping us as aoe freaks, and mobs there are mostly undead. Killing stuff will hardly be the issue, but how many we can gather at once ^^

well, i expected mostly demons in outlands, and it wasn't all demons, but there were VERY few undead =/

and it all depends on whether or not i can find a decent guild, all the ones i've joined either wipe on midnight or never run kara/za/heroics for the lesser geared guys /cry

anyway, if i can find a decent guild, prot all the way, otherwise, solo as ret

EDIT: of course... everyone and their brother will be looking for tanks for instances... mayhaps i'll go prot after all
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Miyazaki » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:25 am

Depending on how.. apealing (no idea if I got that word right) DK-Tanking is, there may be a not-so-big lack of tanks as there was in TBC; but we can't really tell yet anyways.

I'll stay prot for sure, never liked anything else on my paladin.
Miyazaki

Postby Eaglestrike » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:11 pm

It'll depend on what mobs and quests are like. If it's just grinding big loads of mobs, or I'm playing with guildies all the time, I'll be staying prot. But I imagine by then I'll have awesome prot and ret sets so I have both options open for me.
Eaglestrike

Postby Targonis » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:15 pm

I voted Ret simply because the solo questing is almost a requirement, as soon as you're up against heavy casters or even worse, the PvP component thats going to come as I play on a PvP Server its going to be a requirement to survive caster mobs AND other players.

I may stay prot for instances but I see myself respecing as required or making myself some sort of crazy hybrid Ret/Prot tree with Crusader Strike and Holy Shield (More Talent Points *Lightbulb*, I think it might be possible but we could be 1 point shy I can't see the tree's since I'm at work right now, if not holy shield isn't really used by me see below) at least to be a somewhat viable tank and staying ret for soloing... my gear is good enough I could probably be a better tank as ret than most people as Prot. With the possible removal of crushing blows (as talked about in previous posts, but yet to be tested) it may be very easy to tank with 490 untalented Defense as Ret spec, and I really don't use Holy shield for heroics at all at this stage in the game anyway because it mana starves me. The 71-72 instances shouldn't be much harder than that.

My 2 cents.
Targonis

Postby GothicPL » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:59 pm

I think I'm going to go Holy in the beginning so that I can do multi-person group quests with my wife (rogue) and brother-in-law (feral druid). I'll spec Prot once instances get challenging and offer decent loot again - many folks here will probably OOM a lot in the first couple of post 70 normal instances.
GothicPL

Postby Angella » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:00 pm

grinding as holy isn't THAT bad. Just put up consentration aura, pull 10-15 mobs, and heal yourself until consecration kills them all.
Angella

Postby Glacier » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:45 pm

I voted for Ret...

I liked leveling prot, and I think it would be really got for early instances, but...

I do remember how things were in my server when BC came out. Gank, gank, gank.

We all know how bad prot if for PvP (ok maybe against rogues and enh. shamans and warriors that's not true) and I will not stay there and watch casters kill me everytime the spot me.

So what about an hybric spec? go 0 / 20 / 41 and at lvl 71 get Holy Shield to tank instances. I just wonder if we're gonna get more mgt-alike instances, Ret tanking FTW.
Glacier

Postby Morganim » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:45 am

Targonis wrote:I voted Ret simply because the solo questing is almost a requirement, as soon as you're up against heavy casters or even worse, the PvP component thats going to come as I play on a PvP Server its going to be a requirement to survive caster mobs AND other players.

I may stay prot for instances but I see myself respecing as required or making myself some sort of crazy hybrid Ret/Prot tree with Crusader Strike and Holy Shield (More Talent Points *Lightbulb*, I think it might be possible but we could be 1 point shy I can't see the tree's since I'm at work right now, if not holy shield isn't really used by me see below) at least to be a somewhat viable tank and staying ret for soloing... my gear is good enough I could probably be a better tank as ret than most people as Prot. With the possible removal of crushing blows (as talked about in previous posts, but yet to be tested) it may be very easy to tank with 490 untalented Defense as Ret spec, and I really don't use Holy shield for heroics at all at this stage in the game anyway because it mana starves me. The 71-72 instances shouldn't be much harder than that.

My 2 cents.

My thoughts to

that and i have a BT/Sunwell level ret and prot sets is kinda win/win

Also looking at deathknights, been having so much fun playing melee dps on stuff like brutallus lately that DK is becoming more and mroe appealing
Morganim

Postby Morganim » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:45 am

Targonis wrote:I voted Ret simply because the solo questing is almost a requirement, as soon as you're up against heavy casters or even worse, the PvP component thats going to come as I play on a PvP Server its going to be a requirement to survive caster mobs AND other players.

My 2 cents.

My thoughts to

that and i have a BT/Sunwell level ret and prot sets is kinda win/win

Also looking at deathknights, been having so much fun playing melee dps on stuff like brutallus lately that DK is becoming more and mroe appealing
Morganim

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents