Remove Advertisements

So does our threat ever catch up to Warriors/Druids?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

So does our threat ever catch up to Warriors/Druids?

Postby antiy4ho0 » Tue May 13, 2008 4:24 am

On non-undead/demon targets can we put out respectable threat? It seems like when I watch our warrior tank his threat is always miles away from DPS, but sometimes I notice I end up threat capping some of our top DPS on mobs that I can't use Excorcism on. Especially in situations where I don't get to use Avenger's shield, I have some issues maintaining aggro. Usually when I can't use Avenger's shield I open with a SoB Judgement (because its usually very important I get the mob), HS, Consecrate, SoR,JoR repeat. If I think the mob will live through 3 rotations I will try to get a Crusader in there, and depending on positioning sometimes Consecrate will go down before HS.

I just feel like as my guild progresses I will be less and less useful, especially if I can't pick up my threat. I'm still working on a new weapon to replace my Continuum blade and I hope that fixes some of my issues but I've read that Warrior and Druid threat>>>Pally threat and I'm beginning to feel it.
antiy4ho0

Postby Ashmadai » Tue May 13, 2008 5:40 am

It depends a great deal on gear and threat rotation really. I find I put out more threat than my equivalent geared warrior tanks by far. On Fathom Lord last night I was tanking the shaman and I never got below 1000 TPS the entire fight, whereas our warriors on the other adds were around 700 or 800 the entire fight. This is in a 5/6 SSC 3/4 TK guild, so still mostly t4 and some t5 gear.
Ashmadai

Postby Lore » Tue May 13, 2008 6:50 am

1) Warriors have really good threat for the first 10 seconds or so, since while Devastate is also stacking up Sunder Armor it's basically doing double threat.

2) If you're tanking the first mob, and he's not, then of course DPS will be riding your threat and not his.

3) Also, DPS being below someone on Omen doesn't mean they aren't holding back. It could also mean they don't hold back with you tanking, but slow down their DPS rotation with him.

Your best bet is probably to talk to your DPS'ers and ask how your threat compares.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby sweeney » Tue May 13, 2008 7:10 am

I also find that I'm dramatically outthreating our warrior MT, especially on trash mobs. Having our top DPSer (BM hunter) sitting five feet from me means that I can't get away with slacking, ever. Either she hollers at me or just Misdirects and cuts loose.

When I'm on my warlock, the biggest difference I notice is that paladin threat is a smooth constant increase, while warrior threat is "spiky" as their big-threat moves land. When I'm destro my threat is also spiky, and keeping my spiky threat under the tank's smooth threat is easier than juggling spiky+spiky where you really need to leave a full crit shadowbolt's worth of threat ceiling in case he gets parried or something.
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby Aedolfmawini » Tue May 13, 2008 7:27 am

My pally is wearing the usual alt-attainable combo of T4 level/badge/ZA gear (490 SD & 15k health unbuffed), and I out-threat warrior tanks in similar gear by a large margin on your average boss. Even more on demon/undead.
Aedolfmawini

Postby Worldie » Tue May 13, 2008 7:46 am

Making it simple, our threat is superior in T4 content, on par on T5, on par or less in T6, on par in Sunwell.

That's not true for every fight but that's it.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Solessa » Tue May 13, 2008 8:11 am

I actually find that bears have the best threat on single mobs....at least in our guild....then myself then wars...and we are at t6 level hitting up the harder bosses (Gurtogg, Archimonde)

Right now I get 1k TPS while being lazy usually closer to 1.2-1.3k more if undead/demon
Pally Tanking...all the work, half the respect, twice the insults.
Solessa

Re: So does our threat ever catch up to Warriors/Druids?

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue May 13, 2008 8:54 am

antiy4ho0 wrote:I'm still working on a new weapon to replace my Continuum blade and I hope that fixes some of my issues

That will help out quite a bit; work on farming the Cudgel of Consecration ( http://www.wowhead.com/?item=34611 ) when you can. Flasks of Blinding Light and Spell Damage food are also helpful.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby jere » Tue May 13, 2008 8:59 am

As another note, the Merciless Gladiator's Gavel will be available for honor points after this week:

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=32963

I know some hate pvp, but seriously, just do enough EoS to get the 20 marks, and then switch to which ever battle ground tends to have more wins for your faction/server to grind the honor. I got like 12k honor in 2 days of AV grinding on my server for my druid (two saturday mornings). This will probably cost on the order of 25k'ish

This weapon will carry you until you reach MH/BT and it is an excellent resistance fight weapon since the resilience will help versus crittability.
jere

Postby Worldie » Tue May 13, 2008 9:45 am

jere wrote:As another note, the Merciless Gladiator's Gavel will be available for honor points after this week:.

wat?

I think you misunderstood the patch mate :) S2 with honor is coming when S4 is released.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby jere » Tue May 13, 2008 10:28 am

Worldie wrote:
jere wrote:As another note, the Merciless Gladiator's Gavel will be available for honor points after this week:.

wat?

I think you misunderstood the patch mate :) S2 with honor is coming when S4 is released.

Did S4 not come out with today's patch?

EDIT: I see, they just added in the S4 stuff into the database with this patch. I mistakenly thought that meant S4 was here. oops :)
jere

Postby Lookit » Tue May 13, 2008 3:21 pm

They've promised to give at least 2 weeks notice before Season 4 comes out, so until they release a date we always know it's at least 2 more weeks :)
Lookit

Postby Wyleai » Tue May 13, 2008 7:26 pm

I've never seen a warrior that could come close to an equivalent paladin in threat. For me, the low threat of warriors has been a long source of frustration. Before I started meeting tankadins I always tried to find a druid tank so we wouldn't have to hold back so much on DPS -AND- healing. Druids still require a lot of holding back, but not as much as a warrior, where you need to both hold back and CC even sometimes on trash mobs.

It wasn't until I started healing for and DPSing for tankadins that I ever felt I and anyone else not the tank could let loose.

To be honest, I keep waiting for the nerf bat to hit tankadins really hard. They're just too good compared to the other options. When its this smooth and fun to play, you know Blizzard is going to wack it.
Wyleai

Postby Levantine » Tue May 13, 2008 7:29 pm

Just wait until you see anything past Tier4. Warriors do more than catch up.
Levantine

Postby inthedrops » Tue May 13, 2008 8:35 pm

Levantine wrote:Just wait until you see anything past Tier4. Warriors do more than catch up.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents