Remove Advertisements

Another threat spec idea

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Postby Invisusira » Mon May 12, 2008 6:50 pm

Lack of shield toss is the reason I never plan on speccing this way for MTing, and do not advocate it. As Lore said, Worldi is the only tankadin who comes to mind when you say "people who use sanc aura spec successfully." And even then I still kinda roll my eyes at it. =)
Invisusira

Postby Songblade » Mon May 12, 2008 7:50 pm

I just tried it, tanking in Hyjal, and I could really see it's usefulness, it's pretty cool, but I don't like it...

[Insert witty comment here]
Songblade

Postby Rorshach » Tue May 13, 2008 2:19 am

I also just respec'd, as I said in a now locked topic [duck!]

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVoxIh0kGgoxVsx0hcz

Is the spec I used, we had a lack of priests tonight so had to skip on Felmyst and ended up going to Hyjal because we didn't have anything else left to do.

All I have to say is wow! Unbelievably more threat. When aoe-tanking the trash mobs its not unusual for some of our caster dps to pull something off me because of their 2400 tps and crap. Not tonight mate, not tonight :D On Anetheron my TPS just killed and no one was threat-capped, no one caught me at all.

That being said, as Songblade said, I sorely missed my captain america pose for aggro'ing abominations. Holy Wrath works also, but the shield is so much better. I can use this spec for anything in Hyjal and BT except Council and Illidan. Council because I use a targetted shield macro to grab the rogue even if I can't quite see him yet and Illidan because I use it for more snap aggro with exorcism during phase transitions.

But I'll be using this spec for anything outside of those two bosses and Sunwell from now on.

edit: spelling.
Order of Medivh ~ Maiev US PVP
Sarcasm: it's a lifestyle
Rorshach

Postby Extremity » Tue May 13, 2008 3:36 am

Invisusira wrote:Lack of shield toss is the reason I never plan on speccing this way for MTing, and do not advocate it. As Lore said, Worldi is the only tankadin who comes to mind when you say "people who use sanc aura spec successfully." And even then I still kinda roll my eyes at it. =)

misdirect
Extremity

Postby Worldie » Tue May 13, 2008 3:37 am

Invis is in fact right, i do miss AS a lot, but well, i've always been a fan of bodypulling anyway.

p.s. welcome to the lolaggro spec Ror :D
Last edited by Worldie on Tue May 13, 2008 3:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Levantine » Tue May 13, 2008 3:37 am

Misdirect is a crutch. I like it about as much as Invis. I see the skill more as a tool for if things go wrong than a way to start a pull.
Levantine

Postby Worldie » Tue May 13, 2008 3:42 am

Ultraguy wrote:hmm, i see, i see.

but to people who've tried this (dropping ad over 1h wep spec, which i now realize makes significantly more sense lol), how do you cope with lack of shield toss? furthermore, the idea was to try this spec to make heroics go faster, allowing dps to unleash more quickly. but losing avenger's almost seems counter-productive, since i'd gain 13% threat, but lose the inital threat of avenger's shield which means my dps has to wait a little on normal pulls, which makes the whole idea pointless. though i imagine it would still be cool for bosses.

The thing is... with this spec once the mobs get in your consecrate they'll stick on you like bees on honey.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Extremity » Tue May 13, 2008 3:44 am

Levantine wrote:Misdirect is a crutch. I like it about as much as Invis. I see the skill more as a tool for if things go wrong than a way to start a pull.

How is misdirect a crutch? It's a valuable tool and generates a great amount of starting threat. On a single mob pull, having a hunter misdirect is just as good as pulling with shield.

So, you can shield with the MD and have a little bit of burst when you start the fight

Or you can get the mob/boss MD'd to you, and have increased threat over the entire course of the fight.

Maybe it's just me but the more threat I can put out the better. Our DPS is insane.
Extremity

Postby Aedolfmawini » Tue May 13, 2008 8:47 am

Misdirect is as much of a "crutch" as salv. :roll:

If there is a hunter in the raid, there had better be an MD up. Every time it's off CD.
Aedolfmawini

Postby Exalt » Tue May 13, 2008 10:41 am

Aedolfmawini wrote:Misdirect is as much of a "crutch" as salv. :roll:

If there is a hunter in the raid, there had better be an MD up. Every time it's off CD.
Exalt - 70 - Argent Dawn

Exalt

Postby Aloette » Tue May 13, 2008 4:57 pm

I use a fairly standard 0/48/13 build and have very little trouble with aggro, except in rare cases with certain classes decked out in full T6. I only have around 200 base SD, and I don't even have 1HWS at the moment, I'm using reckoning right now.

As people mentioned going into the holy tree is counter-productive, as is dropping 1HWS to gain sanctity. There's really not all that much room for variation within paladin tanking specs, the prot tree just has too many talents that are worth picking up. There's a few choice talents, but there are no real legit hybrids that go deeper than 13 in the retribution tree, and there certainly are no legit tanking builds that use the holy tree.
Aloette

Postby Aloette » Tue May 13, 2008 4:57 pm

I use a fairly standard 0/48/13 build and have very little trouble with aggro, except in rare cases with certain classes decked out in full T6. I only have around 200 base SD, and I don't even have 1HWS at the moment, I'm using reckoning right now.

As people mentioned going into the holy tree is counter-productive, as is dropping 1HWS to gain sanctity. There's really not all that much room for variation within paladin tanking specs, the prot tree just has too many talents that are worth picking up. There's a few choice talents, but there are no real legit hybrids that go deeper than 13 in the retribution tree, and there certainly are no legit tanking builds that use the holy tree.
Aloette

Postby Levantine » Tue May 13, 2008 5:00 pm

Aloette wrote:I use a fairly standard 0/48/13 build and have very little trouble with aggro, except in rare cases with certain classes decked out in full T6. I only have around 200 base SD, and I don't even have 1HWS at the moment, I'm using reckoning right now.

Worldie's spec. (I'd link it, but s/he's specced Ret at the moment, by the looks. >.<)
Levantine

Postby Worldie » Tue May 13, 2008 5:05 pm

Ye i'm ret atm, had some Brutallus attempts today, will spec back to my 40/21 this evening :P

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZxhxhx0zGgoxxrx0hcz

This is the spec anyway.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Aloette » Tue May 13, 2008 8:57 pm

I could live with dropping AS if I never set foot in 5-mans, but that's where I spend most of my time as I just don't have time to raid -- but that is an interesting spec.

When I used to raid Kara we usually had a ret-pally, so there was no need for me to spec into sanctity -- but obviously if you don't regularly raid with one this spec would be something to consider rolling with.
Aloette

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents