Exorcism Threat vs. Holy Shield Threat

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Exorcism Threat vs. Holy Shield Threat

Postby sapientialb » Sun May 11, 2008 11:43 am

On fights where Exorcism is an option is it better to use it and down rank Holy Shield to rank 1, or is the threat gen from the damage on holy shield charges at full rank better?

Let's assume ~300 spell damage and ~49% block.

"Tanks need many stats, including No-blink crotch staring resistance" - Snake-Aes
sapientialb

Postby Levantine » Sun May 11, 2008 12:00 pm

Use both?
Levantine

Postby Invisusira » Sun May 11, 2008 12:04 pm

Why would you use anything less than full rank everything?
Invisusira

Postby Lockdown » Sun May 11, 2008 12:13 pm

Actually depends on how many hits you´re taking in 10 seconds.

Easy math:

Assume JotC is active, you´re going to hit for roughly 1000 holy dmg, translating to 1900 threat every 15 secs.

Your HS R#4 will at least hit for 200 holy dmg, which means 380 threat times 1,35 = ~500 threat per Block.

Right off the bat I remember HS R#1 hitting for roughly half the dmg of a full rank HS, which would mean 250 threat per blocked attack.

Soooo...

If you compare those 2 skill rotations:

HS#4
and
HS#1 and Exorcism

in a 30 second cycle you gain

500 threat per block
or
250 threat per block and 3800 threat.

In those 30 seconds you need to block 16times more with the HS#R4 rotation to equal the threatgen of HS+1 and Exorcism. This in fact would be very unlikely, with HS giving you only 24 charges in those 30 seconds.

All this are just rough estimates, because I can´t (and won´t, because it would be too much work for me right now) give exact numbers.
So my conclusion would be HS#1 and Exorcism delivering more threat on a single target (assuming no resist on the mob!).

Please correct if my calcualtions are flawed.
Lockdown

Postby Lockdown » Sun May 11, 2008 12:15 pm

Invisusira wrote:Why would you use anything less than full rank everything?

There are bosses out there not dealing enough dmg for a full threat cycle (or you´re overgeared for a specific encounter), so downscaling to Consec/HS #1 is a valid option.

Edit: What about all those unqualified "max rank everything" comments?! Think b4 posting plz.
Last edited by Lockdown on Sun May 11, 2008 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lockdown

Postby Levantine » Sun May 11, 2008 12:15 pm

You know what's EVEN MORE THREAT? Max rank everything. *shocked gasps*
Levantine

Postby Invisusira » Sun May 11, 2008 12:21 pm

Lockdown wrote:What about all those unqualified "max rank everything" comments?! Think b4 posting plz.

I outgear many, many instances and never, ever downrank. Unqualified? :shrug:

Just seal juggle properly; if need be take off your pants, and you'll be fine. Downranking is never needed.
Invisusira

Postby Lockdown » Sun May 11, 2008 12:35 pm

You just tell me you _never ever_ went oom on any fight... ever. :roll:

And taking off armor pieces or equipping a level 1 shield wasn´t the question.

The question was: If I have to choose, will downranking HS, to use Exorcism, yield more threat for me?

I tried to answer it =)
Lockdown

Postby Levantine » Sun May 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Lockdown wrote:
Invisusira wrote:Why would you use anything less than full rank everything?

There are bosses out there not dealing enough dmg for a full threat cycle (or you´re overgeared for a specific encounter), so downscaling to Consec/HS #1 is a valid option.

Edit: What about all those unqualified "max rank everything" comments?! Think b4 posting plz.

The fact that you used 'b4' and then accused others of being unqualified makes me smile.

As far as I'm concerned, there's never an excuse to downrank abilities as a tank if you're in a group situation. I've been one hit too many times on Terrin because the shit hit the fan when a tank tried it. Take off gear? Fine. Mash x? Fine. Using anything that generates less threat? Get out of my group. I can heal you through more than enough damage for you to use your full threat cycle.
Levantine

Postby Invisusira » Sun May 11, 2008 12:39 pm

Lockdown wrote:You just tell me you _never ever_ went oom on any fight... ever. :roll:

Not ones where I'm paying attention, no. There is more to mana regen than simply "take more damages."
Invisusira

Postby sapientialb » Sun May 11, 2008 12:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Oddly enough I was OOM during a good portion of Prince Phase 2 on Tuesday, maybe I just had a good string of pure avoidance or some weird roll of the probability dice and I actually lost him to an idiot hunter for half a second.

(WTB: Hunters who feign death BEFORE the mob comes charging them, and said mob proceeds to kill our uber-Lock before wandering back to me)

"Tanks need many stats, including No-blink crotch staring resistance" - Snake-Aes
sapientialb

Postby Invisusira » Sun May 11, 2008 12:47 pm

P2? That IS odd, usually it's P1 where I'll pull out the 2h or something to keep my mana full.
Invisusira

Postby Levantine » Sun May 11, 2008 12:53 pm

.....Why do I now have a sneaky suspicion that you 2H tank a lot these days?
Levantine

Postby Lockdown » Mon May 12, 2008 2:05 am

Invisusira wrote:
Lockdown wrote:You just tell me you _never ever_ went oom on any fight... ever. :roll:

Not ones where I'm paying attention, no. There is more to mana regen than simply "take more damages."

Then tell me what exactly there is more to mana regen than taking damage?

And to remind you again, the question as not if full rank´s better than rank#1 or if unequipping stuff or equipping a 2h is cool or not.

I went oom on Prince phase 2 with just Pre-Kara and Kara gear, so definitley not outgearing him. Since I was concerned with surviving (yeah I know T6 equiped healers can heal me through anything, that´s not the point here) him, it is indeed a valid question if downranking to HS#1 and keep spamming Ex will yield more threat than HS#4 alone.

It was simply which rotation will generate more threat, so plz stick to the discussion and try to answer it.

Well, I guess I should feed the trolls anymore at this point.

PS: Sry for writing "plz", and "sry", please don´t smile at me again... :roll:
Lockdown

Re: Exorcism Threat vs. Holy Shield Threat

Postby mazater » Mon May 12, 2008 2:25 am

sapientialb wrote:On fights where Exorcism is an option is it better to use it and down rank Holy Shield to rank 1, or is the threat gen from the damage on holy shield charges at full rank better?

Let's assume ~300 spell damage and ~49% block.

If you are going OOM in, say, Prince Malchezaar phase 1, you aren't taking enough damage in wich case I personally stop using holy shield and spam exorcism. (Start using holy shield again when phase 2 starts though)

You also have a few other options if you don't like to take crushing blows:

-Call for innervate

-Change yourself to a group with a resto shaman and tell him to throw out teh imba mana regen totem close to you

-Mana potion

-SoW and JoW

-Sit down for a while and enjoy the crits

Just my 2 cents, I go OOM very often :(
mazater

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents