Remove Advertisements

Diocaskas Guide to Elixirs, Flasks and Foods.

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Diocaskas Guide to Elixirs, Flasks and Foods.

Postby Diocaska » Fri May 09, 2008 4:17 am

Okay, I'll admit, I've put this off for a very long time. If I've missed anything, feel free to let me know, and I will update.

Consumable buffs.

1. Food

1.1 Stamina
1.2 Threat
1.3 Avoidance

2. Elixirs and Flasks

2.1 Stamina
2.2 Threat
2.3 Avoidance

3. Other Consumables
Last edited by Diocaska on Fri May 09, 2008 4:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
Diocaska

Postby Diocaska » Fri May 09, 2008 4:18 am

1. Food

1.1 Stamina

For stamina, there are a lot of choices for different food. I’ve included the ones which should be easiest for you to farm.

-30 Stamina 20 Spirit

If you’re going to be tanking any boss where spike damage is an issue or you need to maximize your health pool, you should be aiming for either of these. Note that both of the above require fishing to collect (unless you wish to buy them), so leveling fishing to 375 is recommended.

Spicy Crawdad
Furious Crawdad x1

Fisherman's Feast
Huge Spotted Feltail x1
Goldenbark Apple x5
Soothing Spices x5

-20 Stamina 30 Spirit

Cheap mans Crawdad. Would only recommend these if you either cannot get any 30 stamina food, or if you’re doing a heroic/5man where you don’t need to squeeze out as much HP as possible.

Buzzard Bites
Buzzard Meat x1
These are very easy to farm in large amounts.

Talbuk Steak
Talbuk Venison x1

Mok'Nathal Shortribs
Raptor Ribs x1

- 20 Stamina 8mp5

Similar to the 20 stamina and 30 spirit above, but replaces the near useless spirit with mp5. The mp5 gained is not any significant amount, but it can help slightly with mana shortages during fights. Still I would recommend using 30 stamina in situations where health is the top priority.

Blackened Sporefish
Zangarian Sporefish x1

1.2 Threat

These choices should be used when your stamina isn’t the number one priority. Eg. Spicy Hot Talbuk in fights where hitting the boss is imperative (or at least highly recommended).

If you don’t need the hit or stamina, and simply want a boost in threat, spell damage food is the way to go.

- AoE Nature Damage

A very interesting choice; while this buff does not scale with Righteous Fury, as it is Nature damage, it can still provide a little bit of handy threat. Not tested to see if it will out threat healing aggro.

The mechanics of the buff is that it can hit anything in 360*, up to 2 targets every 8 seconds. The buff can crit, and apparently is affected by spell crit. It may break CC targets, and can work while sat down, or even when mounted.

This buff is both spell steal-able, and dispel-able. It also seems to scale with increased damage buffs (Avenging Wrath, Bloodlust/Heroism).

Stormchops – Nature AoE damage
Clefthoof Meat x1
Lightning Eel x1

- 23 Spell Damage 20 Spirit

Increases spell damage by 23; each point of spell damage roughly equates to 0.5 TPS, thus spell damage food adds ~12-13 threat per second. The spirit doesn’t provide us with any real benefit.

Blackened Basilisk
Chunk o' Basilisk x1
Recommended, as is very easy to farm.

Poached Bluefish
Icefin Bluefish x1

Crunchy Serpent
Serpent Flesh x1

- 20 Hit, 30 Spirit

Provides ~1.269% Hit.
Recommended for fights that require you to hit with certain abilities. For example, Leotheras with Avengers Shield, or Nalorakk for Righteous Defense. Increases threat generation over the course of a fight and helps to maintain Seal of Vengeance stacks/procs.

Spicy Hot Talbuk
Talbuk Venison x1
Hot Spices x1

1.3 Avoidance

The last of the food buffs that I deem important, is agility food. This can be very helpful for paladins of all gear levels, to push themselves that last little bit into crushing immunity.

-20 agility 30 spirit

The amount of dodge that 20 agility equates to is ~0.8%. Only really recommended if you can’t hit crushing immunity after pots/flasks and buffs.

Warp Burger
Warped Flesh x1
If you don’t have cooking, this is your only option. Shouldn’t be too difficult to farm.

Grilled Mudfish
Figluster's Mudfish x1
Last edited by Diocaska on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:39 am, edited 9 times in total.
Diocaska

Postby Diocaska » Fri May 09, 2008 4:19 am

2. Elixirs and Flasks

2.1 Stamina

Flasks

Flasks are generally best put to use on progression raids. Or where killing a boss has yet to become routine. This can save you from using stacks of elixirs. It generally offers less flexability with the buffs, but will persist through death. With a duriation of two hours.

- 500 Health and 10 Defense rating

Both these flasks provide the most HP available for any combination of elixirs or flasks. Being a health value, it does not scale with any %Stamina talents. The defense rating provides 4.2 defense skill, or 0.4% less chance to be crit, and increase your chance to be missed, dodge, parry, and to block by 0.4%.

If you’re going to be fighting where maximizing your health pool, or surviving spike damage is the top priority, then these are the flasks you should be aiming for.

Flask of Fortification
Fel Lotus x1
Mana Thistle x3
Ancient Lichen x7
Imbued Vial x1

“25 player raid” only alternative:

Shattrath Flask of Fortification
Mark of the Illidari x1

Unstable Flasks

The only raid you can use Unstable flasks is Gruul’s lair. They’re obtainable in Blades Edge Mountains, and come in the following varieties:

- 20 intellect, 30 stamina, 23 spell damage
Unstable Flask of the Sorcerer

- 20 agility, 20 strength, 30 stamina
Unstable Flask of the Beast

These two are obtainable from the forge camps in BEM.

- 20 Intellect, 30 stamina, 8mp5
Unstable Flask of the Elder

- 20 agility, 40 attack power, 30 stamina
Unstable Flask of the Bandit

These two are obtainable from Bash’irs Landing.
All are obtainable for 10 apex shards, there are a few other methods to getting them, of which the links should explain.

The 20 agility from the Bandit and Beast flasks, provide about 0.8% dodge. The Beast flask would be more recommended as strength has a minor positive effect on block value. I would recommend these two in situations where avoidance is more preferential over threat.

The Sorcerer flask is the most recommended for threat generation as it gives around a 12-13tps increase.
Elder flasks, doesn’t provide any real advantage than the 30 stamina increase, as the bonus from 8mp5 and 20 intellect is almost negligible.

Battle Elixir

- 15 all stats

This provides 0.6% dodge, increases stamina by 15, and will also increase your block value by a small amount. Most recommended for any bosses where you’re required to increase your health pool and avoidance, but do not deem it necessary to pop a flask.

Elixir of Mastery
Terocone x3
Felweed x1
Imbued Vial x1

Guardian Elixir

- 250 health

This elixir provides you with a static 250 health, so does not scale with %Stamina talents. This elixir provides the greatest increase for any Guardian Elixirs. Similar to the Elixir of Mastery, most recommended for any bosses where you’re required to increase your health pool, but do not wish to pop a flask.

Elixir of Major Fortitude
Ragveil x2
Felweed x1
Imbued Vial x1
Last edited by Diocaska on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:43 am, edited 9 times in total.
Diocaska

Postby Diocaska » Fri May 09, 2008 4:20 am

2.2 Threat

Flasks

- 80 Holy damage

Both these flasks will provide you with the greatest increase threat wise (~40tps). Recommended for any fight where threat is a priority, or any bosses which have mechanics including, but not restricted to threat dumps, short enrage timers, etc.

Flask of Blinding Light
Fel Lotus x1
Mana Thistle x3
Netherbloom x7
Imbued Vial x1

“25 player raid only” alternative:

Shattrath Flask of Blinding Light
Mark of the Illidari x1

Unstable Flasks

See unstable flasks in 2.1 for Unstable Flask of the Sorcerer.

Battle Elixirs

- 35 Spell damage

This elixir will provide you with an approximate increase to your tps by 17-18. This elixir will provide you with the greatest threat of any elixir. Recommended for any boss where you want a balance between threat and any other stat, avoidance or stamina.

Greater Arcane Elixir
Dreamfoil x3
Mountain Silversage x1
Crystal Vial x1

-24 Spelldamage 24 Spell Crit.

Provides less threat than the Greater Arcane Elixir, but requires easier mats. Should always be second choice to the Greater Arcane Elixir.

Adept's Elixir
Dreamfoil x1
Felweed x1
Imbued Vial x1

2.3 Avoidance

Flasks

There are no Flasks that provide avoidance.

Unstable Flasks
See unstable flasks 2.1 for Unstable Flask of the Bandit and Unstable Flask of the Beast.

Guardian Elixirs

- 550 armor

This elixir provides a static 550 armor. The best place for this elixir is hard hitting bosses, for example Prince in phase 2. However, in most cases, you’re better off using the potion version, which provides 2500 armor and using your guardian slot to increase your health.

Elixir of Major Defense
Ancient Lichen x3
Terocone x1
Imbued Vial x1

Battle Elixirs

- 35 Agility 20 crit strike rating

This elixir will increase your dodge by ~1.4%. Its only strength is that when tanking a boss where you’re concern is spike damage, as it provides a nice chunk of agility (the most provided by any elixir or flask).

Elixir of Major Agility
Terocone x1
Felweed x2
Imbued Vial x1

- 15 All stats

As covered earlier on, this provides 0.6% dodge, increases stamina by 15, and will also increase your block value by a small amount. A nice all round package.

Elixir of Mastery
Terocone x3
Felweed x1
Imbued Vial x1

3.0 Other Consumables

Oils

- 42 Spelldamage

Superior Wizard Oil
Arcane Dust x3
Nightmare Vine x1
Imbued Vial x1

Wizard oil is excellent for any situation where you want to pump out additional threat. There is no real excuse for overlooking this during a progression raid. You cannot use windfury and Wizard Oil. Personally believe its more ideal for you to use Wizard Oil, and put another melee dps class with the Shaman.

- 14 mp5

Superior Mana Oil
Arcane Dust x3
Netherbloom x1
Imbued Vial x1

Will slightly reduce downtime between pulls. Would recommend mainly for 5 man instances, or any boss fight where threat isn't considered a priority.

Resistance Flask

- 35 All resists, 18 all stats

Flask of Chromatic Wonder
Dreaming Glory x7
Netherbloom x3
Fel Lotus x1
Imbued Vial x1

This flask will increase your resistance to all spell schools by 35. Considering the cap is 365, this flask provides almost 10% of that figure. The other thing about this flask is that it provides +18 to every stat. Thats 0.72% Dodge and 180 health before talents.
This could be the difference between using another item of resist gear, so take this into consideration when trying to push for a resistance cap, it might make things much easier for you.
Last edited by Diocaska on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:47 am, edited 8 times in total.
Diocaska

Summary:
My beliefs are that a Paladins strength is in the preparation. If you use your head, and use what you believe is the correct combination for any given situation, you will be fine. Don’t feel pressured into keeping your usual mould. Find what suits the fight, and don’t hesitate to try new thing.

Outro:

This “guide” is written from my own point of view and no other. If you want to use this “guide” or any extracts, feel free to do so, but please do not credit it as your own.
I'll admit, I was pretty lazy, I should've included potions in here, but I haven't. I do intent to do this in the near future, unless someone does so in the meantime.

If you find any broken links, feel free to post, or pm me, so I can fix them. All the links I tested worked. But knowing me, I've screwed up somewhere.

Resources:

Threat calculations:
Estimate of 1sd = 0.5tps (was rounded down in my guide)
Arcands - on Maintankadin
Elitest Jerks - Guide to Protection

Values and calculations:
Wowwiki.com

Item databases:
Thottbot.com
Wowhead.com

Special thanks to Shir, former Feral Druid of Euphoric.
Last edited by Diocaska on Fri May 09, 2008 4:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
Aurellia(90) Ulshala(85) Diocaska(85) Leighesha(85)
Diocaska

- Place Holder -
Last edited by Diocaska on Fri May 09, 2008 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diocaska

Postby Diocaska » Fri May 09, 2008 4:21 am

- Place Holder -
Diocaska

Postby Vagrant » Fri May 09, 2008 5:52 am

Vagrant

Postby Worldie » Fri May 09, 2008 6:03 am

There's a small error in the Gruul Lair flasks, the Sorcerer and Beast are available from forge camps, other 2 from Bash'ir landing.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Diocaska » Fri May 09, 2008 6:12 am

Fixed, thanks Worldie!
Diocaska

Postby Aedolfmawini » Fri May 09, 2008 6:56 am

Spell damage food description has a little error in it. :wink:
Aedolfmawini

Postby Diocaska » Fri May 09, 2008 7:08 am

I must be missing something :( What is it?

Edit: Will review after i got some foodz in me belly!

Was it "improves" instead of "increases". Or have I made another?
Diocaska

Postby Aedolfmawini » Fri May 09, 2008 10:06 am

Diocaska wrote:- 23 Spell Damage 20 Spirit

Increases spell damage by 23; each point of spell damage roughly equates to 0.5 TPS, thus spell damage food adds ~12-13 spell damage. The spirit doesn’t provide us with any real benefit.

:wink:
Aedolfmawini

Postby Wachter » Fri May 09, 2008 11:52 am

the wizard oil links are a wee bit broken, but other than that...

/highfive
Ulushnar wrote:If the enemy gets too close, then I whip out the Combat shotgun from 'neath my Kilt.
Wachter

Postby Kathane » Fri May 09, 2008 2:13 pm

For farm content, don't over look Superior Mana Oil. If you've got no issues holding threat on your DPS, then the Mp5 on the mana oil will let you run longer between down time (drinking).
"What's the kill order?"
"This room, the next room, the hallway, and then the boss."
*throws shield*

Kathane

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents