Flasks/Elixirs for Heroics

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Flasks/Elixirs for Heroics

Postby Loganb1104 » Thu May 08, 2008 7:49 am

I just dinged 70 about 3 weeks ago and I've been running heroics for about the past 2. I find that in some heroics (especially where I'm multi-tanking) I get healers complaining that I'm taking pretty significant spike damage.

Are there any elixirs that some of you more seasoned tankadins use/used early in your heroics careers to help smooth out some of the damage intake? Threat isn't a problem (unless I'm running with people from my wife's BT guild o.0), and I haven't gotten to building a 5-man set that focuses on stam over uncrushability (been focusing on building a kara tanking set).

Any ideas? I usually use elixir of major defense. Anything else that could help?
Obnauticus/Warlock/Mannoroth (main)
Oldtuna/Paladin/Nordrassil (alt)
Loganb1104

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu May 08, 2008 7:53 am

If you're taking too much damage, flask of fortification and ironshield pots. save ironshield for the meanies(they're relatively cheap , almost free for a miner, but they're still 2-min pots that share cd with mana pots). Fortification will give you some avoidance and health.

For smiths, there's also the temporary chestpiece enchants(absorption?) and shield wards before combat(2 and 4k damage if I remember correctly)
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby guillex » Thu May 08, 2008 7:55 am

I think I'd usually run with an [item=22834]Elixir of Major Defense[/item] and and [item=28103]Adept's Elixir[/item].

Wouldn't waste a flask on heroic content.

The fact that your healers are complaining just means that they're not used to 2-3 mobs hitting their tank in a heroic. Try a little bit of CC, make sure you're using Holy Shield all the time (when you're just starting out), and use Devo aura instead of Retri aura.

Once you start outgearing content, you can change things around.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu May 08, 2008 7:59 am

Flasks persist through death, which may be his case. If he's not dieing a lot, then yeah..armor will help more.

And yeah..is th healer used to tankadins? Heroics + Tankadin = mwahahapewpewppew. Healers actually work because you take all the damage at once instead of spreading it over long minutes with warriors.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby guillex » Thu May 08, 2008 8:00 am

Snake-Aes wrote:Flasks persist through death, which may be his case. If he's not dieing a lot, then yeah..armor will help more.

And yeah..is th healer used to tankadins? Heroics + Tankadin = mwahahapewpewppew. Healers actually work because you take all the damage at once instead of spreading it over long minutes with warriors.

Well, the way I see it ... Flasks are 'spensive .... Elixirs aren't. And unless you're proccing a butt-ton of flasks, just go with elixirs. :P
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu May 08, 2008 8:01 am

Guess i'm too used to the shatt flasks >.>
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Aedolfmawini » Thu May 08, 2008 8:11 am

IMO, if you have to use either for a heroic, you should probably grind out some more non-heroic gear. I've never even started to feel like I should be flasking in those, since I was back in blues even. I would suggest a wizard oil... always roll with wizard oil.
Aedolfmawini

Postby Loganb1104 » Thu May 08, 2008 8:12 am

Yup, holy shield is always up. :)

I haven't been dying a lot, just taking a good amount of damage. As long as the heroic isn't a complete wipefest I find it's more economical to use elixirs (I like the utility of being able to pick two instead of one)... plus I'm elixir specced herb/alch so they're relatively cheap.

Thanks for the info so far. I mostly want comfirmation that I'm not a noob for wanting to use consumables in heroics. I got a bit scared on my first foray into heroic SP when we had CC issues and had to tank 4 bogstroks at once (popping trinkets, health pot, fel blossom, and HoJ ftw), so now I tend to err on the side of caution.
Obnauticus/Warlock/Mannoroth (main)
Oldtuna/Paladin/Nordrassil (alt)
Loganb1104

Postby kensanity » Thu May 08, 2008 3:51 pm

like someone above had mentioned, look into ironshield potions.

I only started using those yesterday for ZA runs, and wow, they are effective.

One thing that I'd like to point out is that yeah, they share the same cd as health and mana pots, but, realistically, I see myself using the pots over any health pots from now on.

2.5k armor buff or whatever helps provide a great deal of damage mitigation, and over the course of 2 minutes (especially since you are still probably more prone to block as opposed to other forms of avoidance), the damage you will have not taken will greatly surpass the benefit of drinking a health pot. We got healers and healthstones if we want life back fast :)
kensanity

Postby Erendis » Thu May 08, 2008 4:03 pm

Early on when running heroics was hard I'd use [item=32062]Elixir of Major Fortitude[/item] and well fed food. Cheap but gave me an edge in health.

Oh and always, always, [item=22522]Superior Wizard Oil[/item]
Erendis
Maintankadonor

Return to Basic Training & Talents