Remove Advertisements

Anticipation and other odds and ends

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Anticipation and other odds and ends

Postby Wrexsoul » Wed May 07, 2008 12:10 pm

Heya! I recently leveled a paladin to 70, and after chugging along as retri for a while I came to terms with how awesome protection is, and I've now gathered a decent gear set for it. I have some questions about my spec, however! For reference, my armory profile is here (dwarven female ftw!).

The goal is to be able to maintank Kara etc when my gear is good enough, so it's not only for off-tanking purposes. Also, if it's not the dumbest idea ever, I'd like to keep Reckoning since it's so neat :). Running 5/5 at the moment, but perhaps I should change it to 3/5? Dunno.

Basically, since I've started getting some proper defense on my gear, I've began wondering how important Anticipation is if it's not needed for reaching crit immunity. According to my brief calculations, each point is worth about 0.6% avoidance or thereabouts, and since I'll reach crushing immunity as well with just one-two gear upgrades, I've been thinking of skipping it. Is it a skip-skill if you're already crit/crush immune, or is it worth taking for whatever reason still?

My second question is, if I skip it, where do I put my points? I figured 3/3 precision is pretty awesome to have, but once I get that there are 3 more points to spend. I'm thinking improved Judgement isn't quite for me, seems to work fine with the 10 sec one, and I've the feeling I'd lose the benefit anyway what with the difficulties to skill rotation the improved talent adds. But perhaps it's something I should get? If I don't, though, it's down to two talents: Pursuit of Justice or Improved Seal of the Crusader. I figured, 3% crit for all dpsers would be just as good utility as when you're retri specced, so if I can live without Pursuit of Justice, perhaps it would be a good idea to take?

Basically I'm not sure at all about anything, so any help would be appreciated :P. Here's the talent spec I had in mind if I go for imp SotC: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhtI00dgtqtVcx - how does it seem?

sorry if this post is horribly unstructured, I'm dead tired after 11 hours of work ;). Hope you can make some sense of it anyhow, and help me out a bit, since I'm kinda lost here. Thanks!
Wrexsoul

Postby Minn » Wed May 07, 2008 12:25 pm

You're not ready to start skipping Anticipation. Each talent point buys you 4 defense skill or .16% dodge/parry/miss/block. If you can hit uncrush/uncrit without it, great, pick it up and stack more stamina instead. I'd only consider dropping Anticipation once your gear *alone* provides uncrit/uncrush, with gems and enchants all pure stam.
Minn

Postby masterkiller » Wed May 07, 2008 12:59 pm

Don't skip it. I would strongly recommend dropping reckoning. In Kara you will have no problems with threat generation. Since you are still gearing up you need as much survivability as possible. Gem EVERYTHING with stam gems. Stam > Uncrushable for most of Kara. Nightbane is probably the only boss that coulda insta gib you for being uncrushable. If you have a high health pool then you will not get gibbed even by a crush. Most of Kara hits fast and weak where Nightbane hits much slower and harder.

Keep adding defense as it continues to give good avoidance stats but dont gem for it and dont choose it over block rating until you are uncrushable.
masterkiller

Postby Ciandin » Wed May 07, 2008 1:33 pm

Keep anticipation, and maybe go to 2/5 or 3/5 reckoning; there is a post floating around the forums showing in graphical terms that 3/5 is damn near as good as 5/5.

You don't need uncrushable in early karazan, but depending upon your gear, you'll want it in upper, especially nightbane and prince. Stack stam like the previous poster mentioned.
Fighting over the internet is like the special olympics... even if you win, you're still retarded.
Ciandin

Postby Wrexsoul » Wed May 07, 2008 2:12 pm

Mkay, so how about http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhtIx0dGtqtV0x for now then? Or do I really need Pursuit of Justice/improved Judgement? Thanks for the replies btw!

EDIT: Oops, that's what I get for being tired >_>. Had only one point in imp. Holy Shield. Go with 4/5 Anticipation, or Toughness, or what? Or just 2/5 Reckoning... Sorry, I'm really very tired and quite confused mathematically at the moment ;).
Last edited by Wrexsoul on Wed May 07, 2008 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wrexsoul

Postby masterkiller » Wed May 07, 2008 2:16 pm

Wrexsoul wrote:Mkay, so how about http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhtIx0dGtqtV0x for now then? Or do I really need Pursuit of Justice/improved Judgement? Thanks for the replies btw :)

Beautiful ;)
masterkiller

Postby ryan4nayr » Wed May 07, 2008 6:59 pm

Wrexsoul wrote:Mkay, so how about http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhtIx0dGtqtV0x for now then?

EDIT: Oops, that's what I get for being tired >_>. Had only one point in imp. Holy Shield. Go with 4/5 Anticipation, or Toughness, or what? Or just 2/5 Reckoning... Sorry, I'm really very tired and quite confused mathematically at the moment ;).

I'd prioritize maxed Anticipation & Toughness over Precision. Hit & spell hit are great, but I'd rather have a more reliable, & maxed, Holy Shield.
ryan4nayr

Postby ARTillery » Thu May 08, 2008 1:22 am

masterkiller wrote:In Kara you will have no problems with threat generation.

any particular reason for that?
ARTillery

Postby Wrexsoul » Thu May 08, 2008 1:57 am

ryan4nayr wrote:
Wrexsoul wrote:Mkay, so how about http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhtIx0dGtqtV0x for now then?

I'd prioritize maxed Anticipation & Toughness over Precision. Hit & spell hit are great, but I'd rather have a more reliable, & maxed, Holy Shield.

True that. Oh, and the holy shield thing was a mistake, didn't notice it only had one point in it :P. Anyhow, I guess my last question is: Between Precision and Reckoning, which produces the best threat? I guess Precision gets bonus points for affecting taunt as well. Should I go with 3/3 Precision 2/5 Reckoning, 2/3 Precision 3/5 Reckoning, or just 0/3 Precision 5/5 reckoning? I figure the first is best, but I don't know really since I haven't seen any math comparing the two.
Wrexsoul

Postby Hiroko » Thu May 08, 2008 2:32 am

ARTillery wrote:
masterkiller wrote:In Kara you will have no problems with threat generation.

any particular reason for that?

Because most of it is undead and you can make use of exorcism to boost threat, and holy wrath too when you can fit one in.

I'd always go with 3/3 precision.
It's extra threat of course, but for me the lower rate of resists on taunts factors in greatly.
Hiroko

Postby ryan4nayr » Thu May 08, 2008 8:36 am

Wrexsoul wrote:
ryan4nayr wrote:

Between Precision and Reckoning, which produces the best threat? I guess Precision gets bonus points for affecting taunt as well. Should I go with 3/3 Precision 2/5 Reckoning, 2/3 Precision 3/5 Reckoning, or just 0/3 Precision 5/5 reckoning?

As flavor talents that are good in every situation, you can't go wrong with either Precision or Reckoning. Kinda depends on what you do mostly: heroics & raiding favor Precision while farming & soloing favor Reckoning.
ryan4nayr

Postby Wrexsoul » Fri May 09, 2008 1:24 am

Went with http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhtIx0drgqtV0x (2/5 Reckoning) and it seems to work fine. Thanks a bunch for all the replies and help, awful nice of you all!
Wrexsoul

Return to Basic Training & Talents