Remove Advertisements

Tanks have feelings too

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Postby Janduin » Wed May 07, 2008 8:01 am

Best way to level weapons:

1. Put on raid tank gear
2. Equip desired type of weapon
3. Go to Blasted Lands, find Servant of Raklith(sp?)
4a. If 1h, you are wearing a shield-->Set autoattack, afk
4b. If 2h, set autoattack, you shouldn't be taking very much damage, but you health might slowly decrease. One you get into 250s in weapon skill you should be hitting 1/2 the time, judge Light, afk
5. Repeat for all desired weapon skills
Janduin

Postby Ariashley » Wed May 07, 2008 8:19 am

Kitria wrote:Attitude is everything.

Think you suck, say you suck, and you will suck.

Go in with confidence, and if you make a mistake nobody will notice. If you wipe from one of your mistakes, oops! Just have to keep pushing on.

I agree with the above. The self-deprecating bit is biting you in the ass. You tell a group, "I'm not a really good tank" and they will blame you if things go badly, even when it's their fault. You make yourself a target.

If I lose aggro on my target, taunt it back and then lose it again, definitely not my fault. That's a PvP geared moron's fault. I switch targets and let them die at that point - making sure the rest of the group doesn't. If they complain I say "I only get to taunt (they don't know what RD is)every 15 sec. L2 crit less, stop hitting the mob if you pull, stop hitting/stunning the mob before it gets to me, or die a lot, take your choice."

These are the same idiots who QQ at the beginning if the instance, "No, not salv. I want (insert Wisdom, Might or Kings here)." To those requests I respond, "I don't have a bucket full of spell damage. If you're DPS sucks, I'll give you (insert Wisdom, Might or Kings). If it doesn't, you need salv so you have more room to do damage without worrying about pulling aggro and we get out of here faster." Since I implied needing the other buffs means they suck, they usually clam right up. I do keep an eye on the damage meter every so often and do change buffs when needed.

If I make a really bad pull that wipes a group, I just say, "Sorry. I didn't quite intend to pull all three of those groups. Run back."
Ariashala - Level 70 Tankadin
Ariashley - Level 70 Rogue
Ariashley

Postby Lore » Wed May 07, 2008 8:31 am

You also might need to just get better. I don't mean anything bad when I say that - part of playing this game, or any game, or doing anything anywhere is increasing your skill as you go. That stands for tanks just as much as DPS and healers. I still screw up a lot in Sunwell; every raid I get a little bit better at my class.

Might be obvious, and I'm not saying you aren't trying (or even "lol noob l2p"), but when threads like this come up I think most people are a little quick to pass the blame and say "Your DPS was bad" "Your healers were bad" when that's not necessarily the case. The best thing you can do to keep people from complaining about your tanking is to just be an amazing tank.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Discus » Wed May 07, 2008 9:45 am

Yeah, I know it's a learning curve and I still have lots to learn. Not false modesty, but I'll never be an amazing tank/healer/dps, I simply don't have the playtime, reaction speed, coordination or vision. I played all the warcraft games on Easy mode and was amazed when I tried them on hard that anyone is that good. Quite often in instances I lose track of what the hell is happening, usually down to the camera angle - by the time I've sorted it a dps is at 10% health and I cast RD 1 second after he dies and mobs moves onto healer. I compensate by reading all I can on excellent sites like these.

But the big up yourself advise is great thanks. There'll be a few fights when the usually submissive tank starts to fight back though...lol.
Discus

Postby ryan4nayr » Wed May 07, 2008 10:38 am

Discus wrote:There'll be a few fights when the usually submissive tank starts to fight back though...lol.

:lol: Funny, I always considered tanks to be quite the masochist to constantly ask for the highest repair bill in the party. And love it. Then come back for more.

Honestly, seeing as you're not a total idiot, just do your best. You've read the great advice to ask for party help re: debuffs, CC, it helps definitely.
ryan4nayr

Postby Wyleai » Wed May 07, 2008 12:34 pm

ryan4nayr wrote:I always considered tanks to be quite the masochist to constantly ask for the highest repair bill in the party. And love it. Then come back for more.

Hard an argument with one of my officers a week or so ago about repair bills. She wanted me to lock out the ability of guild members to use the guild bank for repairs.

Paraphrasing from memory of course.

O: "Some of these people are charging up way too much, why should the rest of us be footing that bill?"

My Answer: "Because they're your plate wearers. Look at who's charging up those fees. When you get in a group, WoW doesn't split the costs of repair evenly - it puts the burden on the people taking the damage, and the heavier armors are made to cost more to repair. If we shut that feature down, I'd have to create an alt who's sole purpose was to go around the guild passing the collection plate in order to fund the repairs after any guild run."

O: "Well what about them doing it while they're leveling, its unfair that the rest of us are paying for that."

My Answer: "Well, then don't. Stop donating money into the bank. But even as they're leveling, they're building up a contribution to the guild which has an unequal cost to level. The whole point of a guild bank was so that guilds could find a way to share this burden - to spread it around."

O: "But then how will we ever buy a 5th bank tab?"

My Answer: "The same way we got 2, 3, and 4 - when it looks like we need it, I'll start passing the collection plate. At the we're busy enough to need it, raising 2500g across the members will be trivial. It took me a day to get the funds for tab 4, even though it cost me 1000g, because we were ready for it."

Your guild should not be allowing the tanks to have the highest repair bills.
Wyleai

Postby Sithy » Wed May 07, 2008 12:54 pm

Janduin wrote:Best way to level weapons:

1. Put on raid tank gear
2. Equip desired type of weapon
3. Go to Blasted Lands, find Servant of Raklith(sp?)
4a. If 1h, you are wearing a shield-->Set autoattack, afk
4b. If 2h, set autoattack, you shouldn't be taking very much damage, but you health might slowly decrease. One you get into 250s in weapon skill you should be hitting 1/2 the time, judge Light, afk
5. Repeat for all desired weapon skills

See when I got my S1 Mace, set out to do exactly that.

Pulled one into the back of the cave he was in, Judge light, then proceeded to go to work. I get home ~10 hours later, and low and behold there is my paladin still whacking away.... with ALL of my gear yellow or red. :cry:
I thought the game would time me out eventually but it would seem that having a judgment up or something wouldnt let the server kick me offline.
Sithy

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed May 07, 2008 1:26 pm

Discus wrote:Yeah, I know it's a learning curve and I still have lots to learn. Not false modesty, but I'll never be an amazing tank/healer/dps, I simply don't have the playtime, reaction speed, coordination or vision. I played all the warcraft games on Easy mode and was amazed when I tried them on hard that anyone is that good. Quite often in instances I lose track of what the hell is happening, usually down to the camera angle - by the time I've sorted it a dps is at 10% health and I cast RD 1 second after he dies and mobs moves onto healer. I compensate by reading all I can on excellent sites like these.

But the big up yourself advise is great thanks. There'll be a few fights when the usually submissive tank starts to fight back though...lol.
OF COURSE you get overwhelmed, you're shoving yourself in that hole for a long time.
New stuff is overwhelming, it's normal. Your coordination is bad? Keeptrying until it's good. You lose track? Start paying more attention until you don't lose anymore.
Getting good at something you aren't is a pain in the ass and takes time, but if you commit yourself to it you get it. it's a HUMAN characteristic.

Doesn't matter what you say, you only get better if you want to get better. Claiming that you'll never be good will just lock it down to being truth.Losing before even starting is bad.

I heard a saying once that applies to you: People regret what they did...but they regret more what they did not do.

lol, i'm a good example myself that being a wuss will only keep you into the wussy state. I've made a threat pretty similar to this one a few months ago and voila, here I am, proud of what I can do, even arrogant if i don't pay attention.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Frickit » Wed May 07, 2008 1:47 pm

increasing your fps to a lag free level (turn down some graphics) and increasing your zoom out distance might help if you are having difficulty using your camera to get a sense of your total environment. this is very important to do.

practice using your camera and practice knowing what your party/raid is up to and where everything is.
Frickit

Postby Lookit » Wed May 07, 2008 2:12 pm

Sithy wrote:I thought the game would time me out eventually but it would seem that having a judgment up or something wouldnt let the server kick me offline.

Actually, just being in combat prevents you from getting booted from the server (for a while at least, I'm sure at some point of inactivity you do get booted).

I ran a friend through Stockade and then went afk to watch some Office. I came back 30 minutes later with 3 respawned mobs beating on me and a message saying I was unable to be disconnected because I was in combat, even though I was just standing there not doing anything.

Incidentally, the reason the mobs weren't dead to my ret aura is that every hit was either a parry, dodge, miss or full block, meaning ret aura couldn't proc because none of their attacks were connecting. I thought that was pretty funny.
Lookit

Postby Lalecize » Wed May 07, 2008 4:24 pm

Mishdorf wrote:This reminds me somewhat of the other night.

I go to run H Mech with a PUG. We get inside and I pull the 3 elves to the left. We don't wipe and they go down fast. The dps starts QQing about me not marking, so I assure them that I will mark in future. Next I pull the robot patroling on the left (without marking cause duh, it's only one robot). DPS starts QQing more and tells me to pass lead. I tell them fat chance and move on. I go to pull the patroling robot that comes out from the corridor to the left, and as I pull it, one of the idiot dpsers aggros the robot in the middle. We wipe. DPS QQ and quit the group (they were all friends). I get another invite to tank (out of the blue) and let the healer know. I go with the other group. 2 minutes later, the three dps and the healer are in lfg looking for a tank. I whisper the healer and ask him wtf he is doing. He tells me that he can't find another group.

Twenty minutes later he sends me a tell saying that they found another pally tank with 17k hitpoints. He also tells me that they wiped in the same spot. I just laugh.

Sometimes dps are stupid. Sometimes they are arrogant. In all cases, you are in charge of the group. Never let the dps tell you otherwise (remember, YOU are in demand especially in PUGs).

Rofl.

If your on Aman'Thul that was probably my drunken pug where i wore my tuxedo for the first few pulls.

I remember falling off my chair mid pull too.

eek!
Lalecize

Postby Ana » Wed May 07, 2008 4:46 pm

Wyleai wrote:
ryan4nayr wrote:I always considered tanks to be quite the masochist to constantly ask for the highest repair bill in the party. And love it. Then come back for more.

Hard an argument with one of my officers a week or so ago about repair bills. She wanted me to lock out the ability of guild members to use the guild bank for repairs.

Paraphrasing from memory of course.

O: "Some of these people are charging up way too much, why should the rest of us be footing that bill?"

My Answer: "Because they're your plate wearers. Look at who's charging up those fees. When you get in a group, WoW doesn't split the costs of repair evenly - it puts the burden on the people taking the damage, and the heavier armors are made to cost more to repair. If we shut that feature down, I'd have to create an alt who's sole purpose was to go around the guild passing the collection plate in order to fund the repairs after any guild run."

O: "Well what about them doing it while they're leveling, its unfair that the rest of us are paying for that."

My Answer: "Well, then don't. Stop donating money into the bank. But even as they're leveling, they're building up a contribution to the guild which has an unequal cost to level. The whole point of a guild bank was so that guilds could find a way to share this burden - to spread it around."

O: "But then how will we ever buy a 5th bank tab?"

My Answer: "The same way we got 2, 3, and 4 - when it looks like we need it, I'll start passing the collection plate. At the we're busy enough to need it, raising 2500g across the members will be trivial. It took me a day to get the funds for tab 4, even though it cost me 1000g, because we were ready for it."

Your guild should not be allowing the tanks to have the highest repair bills.

I'm going to have to agree with your officer, the guild funds shouldn't be used for guild repairs across the board. I don't care if JoeSchmoe at level 45 only pays 1g, you should set it to guildies of a certain rank, and shut it off after raids, you'll save coin in the long run.

You have to be careful with guild banks, I had an officer withdraw 20 void crystals to make void spheres to level her enchanting.
Anathematic / Megalomania / Tohuvabohu / Surrealistic
Ana

Postby Wyleai » Wed May 07, 2008 5:58 pm

I have tiers. A recruit and a member and a member over level 58 do not have the same privileges.

Our 4th bank tab is set aside for items usable by level 58 and above.

But I feel very strongly that the only reason to have funds in a bank in the first place to share the burden equally - so cutting off the tap is one thing I would never do, and its worked for us since the day 2.3 went live.
Wyleai

Re: Tanks have feelings too

Postby Druglike » Fri May 09, 2008 7:07 am

Lookit wrote:Someone used to that style of "teamwork" is going to be like sandpaper on your sack in an instance.

I lol'd
Druglike

Postby uke » Mon May 12, 2008 1:24 pm

This is going to sound harsh and mean, but I feel it's necessary...

If you want to be a tank, you need to have a backbone.

Attitude is everything. If you walk into a pug and say "I suck at tanking", guess what, you're going to suck!

A tank is at the heart and center of a group. The hub in the wheel. The complete center of focus that a group revolves around. Success or failure depends on your ability to confidently keep the nasties beating on you and surviving.

It is *not* a role that is suitable for self-flagellating wimps with no confidence. It *is* a role for people who are willing to continually get the crap kicked out of them, and can do it over and over again with a smile until they eventually succeed.

If you want to be a tank, you have to have the confidence, almost bordering on arrogance, in order to be successful. Period.
uke

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents