Armour (Armor to you yanks)

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Armour (Armor to you yanks)

Postby Sark » Tue May 06, 2008 8:10 am

Something I have always wondered about damage reduction, what exactly is armour doing for me as a paladin?

Suppose I am attacked by Hoggar (Hogger's 2nd cousin on the left hand side) additionally suppose he attacks with a consistent 100 damage on each strike.

If i have an armour value of 0 how much damage will i take?

If my damage reduction based on the tooltip is 50% should i take 50 damage each hit?

If i block with my shield is my armour helping reduce any of the incoming damage at all?

What changes if any should I expect to the above scenarios if Hoggar uses a special attack.

Thank you for your time.
Sark

Postby shifttusk » Tue May 06, 2008 8:25 am

Someone correct me if I'm wrong:

<<If i have an armour value of 0 how much damage will i take?>>

Assuming you're the same level as the super hogger you would take 100 * .94 due to imp RF being -6% dmg. Without Imp RF you would take the full 100.

<<If my damage reduction based on the tooltip is 50% should i take 50 damage each hit? >>

Yes assuming same level mob, vs a boss 3 levels over you would take a bit more. If you have Imp RF you would take an additional 6% less.

<<If i block with my shield is my armour helping reduce any of the incoming damage at all? >>

Yes lets say you have a 100% block chance and 10 block value and 50% mitigation from armor. Your block would take 10 off the initial hit brining it to 90. Your armor would then half this 90 to 45. This is the only part I'm not 100% certain on, I know BoSanc is pre armor but is block as well?
Shifttusk - 70 Hunter Executus 0/20/41
Easylay - 70 Paladin Anetheron 0/49/12
shifttusk

Postby Janduin » Tue May 06, 2008 8:25 am

Off the top of my head:

1) Tooltip I think is calculated for a mob at your level (not sure about this).
2) Block is certainly post-armor damage reduction.
3) Depends on the nature of Hoggar's special attack. If it's physical damage, probably yes, if it's magical damage, then certainly not.
Janduin

Re: Armour (Armor to you yanks)

Postby Aedolfmawini » Tue May 06, 2008 8:25 am

With zero armor, you will take full damage when hit. When tooltip says 50%, you will take 50%. Armor is completely independent of the amount that you block (except that you are blocking the already armor mitigated value), the number that matters there is block value. And of course, if you are dodging/parrying/missing, you don't get hit at all and armor does not matter.
Aedolfmawini

Postby Sark » Tue May 06, 2008 8:35 am

thank you for the replies

your responses so far are in line with what i was thinking, but i have never been sure

it would be nice to know if block was pre or post armour, but it's nice to confirm that they are indeed working together

time to do a review of my gear shopping list :D
Sark

Postby Janduin » Tue May 06, 2008 8:39 am

Sark wrote:it would be nice to know if block was pre or post armour

You should read those responses more carefully. This question was answered twice. Block is post-armor.
Janduin

Postby Aedolfmawini » Tue May 06, 2008 8:41 am

Janduin wrote: You should read those responses more carefully. This question was answered twice. Block is post-armor.

Yeah, it seems there was a conflicting opinion near the top before the two post-armor statements.
Aedolfmawini

Postby Sark » Tue May 06, 2008 8:44 am

Janduin wrote:
Sark wrote:it would be nice to know if block was pre or post armour

You should read those responses more carefully. This question was answered twice. Block is post-armor.

i did, was a bit confused as to who had the correct answer :oops:

so with bosanct on i would suppose that after armour halves Hoggar's attack the next bit comes off the blessing and then finally the block value?
Sark

Postby Janduin » Tue May 06, 2008 8:45 am

Also, the % mitigated by armor MUST have level dependence or it wouldn't scale properly. Besides, I remember this percentage dropping upon leveling when I was leveling up.
Janduin

Postby Sark » Tue May 06, 2008 8:47 am

just spent less than a minute and was able to find a (hopefully) accurate account of the workings of BoSanct

feel free to ignore the last question i had :)
Sark

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue May 06, 2008 8:52 am

Calculation goes by this

Mob does X damage
X loses the Sanctuary's value into Y
Y is reduced by your % reductions(armor + rf, disregarding level differences for now) into Z
if it's a block, Z is reduced by your block value.

That's the damage you take.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Janduin » Tue May 06, 2008 8:53 am

Fairly certain shifttusk is right about BoSanc, it's pre-armor. So it would go:

(unmitigated hit - BoSanc)*(armor reduction)-block value, assuming you blocked of course.

BoSanc has 2 uses really: 1) A bit of extra threat/damage (can be somewhat significant if AOE tanking/farming) 2) AoE farming/tanking damage-reduction, depending on how hard things hit (low level instances = BoSanc Paradise).

It is not worth much while boss tanking, but you might as well get it if you have a spare paladin and already have Kings.

Edit: Yeah I've been forgetting RF. I'm actually pretty certain that would be pre-armor and pre-BoSanc as well, as it applies to all damage, including spell damage. I could be wrong though.
Janduin

Postby inthedrops » Tue May 06, 2008 1:16 pm

Can someone answer when RF takes affect? I'd think RF is the final modifier.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue May 06, 2008 1:25 pm

It's summed to armor's % reduction. Block value is the very last reduction calculated.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Blutreich » Tue May 06, 2008 3:07 pm

for a full example
he hits for 100
BoSanc takes 10 leaving 90
RF takes 6% leaving 84.6
armor 50% leaving 42.3
block value takes 10 leaving 32.3
computer rounds to 32

*armor and RF can be swapped around the rest have to be in that order*
Going to spend my cab money on more shots and just take the ambulance home