Remove Advertisements

How much Spell Dam for content?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

How much Spell Dam for content?

Postby dalfurious » Mon May 05, 2008 11:18 am

Right now I'm sitting at 301 Spell Damage unbuffed. What is recommended for spell damage for end game. I did try to search but all I found was get about 66% of your highest raid caster spell damage or something to that sort, but I was wondering if there is a definite number that I could aim towards. About to start ZA soon and would like to know if my 301 is high enough. So far this is what I have heard from other pally tanks on my server:

Pre-kara - 200
Prince - 250
ZA/SSC/TK - 300-350
MH - 400
BT - 425+
Sunwell - 450-500+

I know that spelldamage is not everything, but I need to stay top in threat and most of my guild is in full kara/badge gear and I'm still saving for the chest, legs, and boots. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!
dalfurious

Postby farmerjohn » Mon May 05, 2008 11:53 am

With a couple of gear swaps, I can sit at 355 unbuffed. flasked and oiled, I can hit 500 SD. Not sure if that helps though. :) We are now in Hyjal.
I'll need an unlimited supply of Xena tapes and Hotpockets
farmerjohn

Postby Mordinm » Mon May 05, 2008 11:56 am

How much spell damage you need is based on the dps in your raid and not what instance you happen to be in. There is a world of difference between kara geared dps and kara + badge geared dps. That's not even factoring in spec and skill level of your dps.

I think your best bet is to take a look at what you need in terms of survivability and get as much spell damage as you can while still being reasonably healable.
Mordinm

Postby Faeladine » Wed May 07, 2008 4:20 am

I think a better way of putting it would be, how much spell damage do you need for x amount of dps, for example

how much spell damage would you need if your raid has an average of 1100 dps?
Faeladine

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed May 07, 2008 4:49 am

Base yourself on your dpsers for that. My last guild had dpsers averaging at 1200 dps to 2000 dps(races like ros nd akama)
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Seloei » Wed May 07, 2008 4:50 am

If their ranged, and push out 1100 dps. With salv that puts them at 770 TPS, ranged dps can be at max 29% of your agro before they pull it off you so you would need to be pushing out atleast 539 TPS. Which is around... (assuming proper rotation and talents etc) (539-328)/0.61= 350 spelldamage.

That is spelldamage needed after flasks, buffs, oils, gear and if you judged crusader or not.
Without a spelldamage weapon and 0 SD on your gear you can boost your spelldamage by (80 flask, 42 oil, 23 food, 219 jotc, 10 if your crackpot belf) 364/374 spelldamage.

Altho, you want to keep them under your threat just incase since it is risky (one crit and they may pull agg) to let them get so far ahead of you.

And the amount of spelldamage needed varies based on encounter/instance/raidgroup/dps. You can get away with a suneater in SSC at some groups but fail horribly with it in even a kara. All depends on how well the others are geared compared to you. There are no "magic numbers" of how much SD you need to tank X raid, but the numbers the OP posted seem about right for unbuffed/flasked
Seloei

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed May 07, 2008 4:58 am

Seloei wrote:If their ranged, and push out 1100 dps. With salv that puts them at 770 TPS, ranged dps can be at max 29% of your agro before they pull it off you so you would need to be pushing out atleast 539 TPS. Which is around... (assuming proper rotation and talents etc) (539-328)/0.61= 350 spelldamage.

That is spelldamage needed after flasks, buffs, oils, gear and if you judged crusader or not.
Without a spelldamage weapon and 0 SD on your gear you can boost your spelldamage by (80 flask, 42 oil, 23 food, 219 jotc, 10 if your crackpot belf) 364/374 spelldamage.

Altho, you want to keep them under your threat just incase since it is risky (one crit and they may pull agg) to let them get so far ahead of you.

And the amount of spelldamage needed varies based on encounter/instance/raidgroup/dps. You can get away with a suneater in SSC at some groups but fail horribly with it in even a kara. All depends on how well the others are geared compared to you. There are no "magic numbers" of how much SD you need to tank X raid, but the numbers the OP posted seem about right for unbuffed/flasked
hm... what?
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Bunni » Wed May 07, 2008 6:49 am

Snake-Aes wrote:hm... what?

Bloodthistle, it's BE only.
Keeping the gaming world safe for old folks. www.theoldergamers.com
Bunni

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed May 07, 2008 7:10 am

I...never saw that before....
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Ariashley » Wed May 07, 2008 8:32 am

Seloei wrote:If their ranged, and push out 1100 dps. With salv that puts them at 770 TPS, ranged dps can be at max 29% of your agro before they pull it off you so you would need to be pushing out atleast 539 TPS. Which is around... (assuming proper rotation and talents etc) (539-328)/0.61= 350 spelldamage.

I'm getting consistently over 550 TPS with 272 unbuffed spell damage and can push that up a decent bit with oils/flasks, if needed. In ZA, I opted for oil + flask of fortification + stam food, since I really don't have enough health to even tank in there (but the guild has no other choices). In Gruul's (where I've only been tanking on HKM), I opt for oil + spell dmg food + unstable flask of the sorcerer and getting into the wrath of air group, since I've been tanking the priest, who dies first and doesn't hit very hard. I've been plenty ahead on threat.
Ariashala - Level 70 Tankadin
Ariashley - Level 70 Rogue
Ariashley

Postby Shirak » Wed May 07, 2008 9:36 am

By that chart I have the SD for BT.

Tanking has been alot easier lately as far as holding aggro. I can easily maintain over 700 tps and burst up over 1200. The only problems I have with aggro is when the DPS has a couple of big early crits.
Tuberon wrote:Tanking *is* crowd control.

You run into a crowd, and proceed to control it.
Shirak

Return to Basic Training & Talents