BT/Sunwell Reckoning spec?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Postby jere » Tue May 06, 2008 7:35 am

Janduin wrote:I am resisting dropping Kings and Imp. judgement...but I dropped Spell Warding to get 2/5 Reckoning, and seems to proc often. Was the Reckoning uptime graph ever redone with more reasonable BT/Sunwell MT avoidance numbers? If 3/5 remains the gold standard I will probably eventually drop a point in Imp. Judgement to pick up 3/5.

Have you noticed any detriment to not having spell warding? That is the spec that I am playing with in my head, so I would be interested to know if you even really notice the difference.
jere

Postby Lore » Tue May 06, 2008 7:42 am

You don't need Kings. Unless you have 0 Holy Paladins, if you're in Sunwell, you don't need Kings. There is nothing in the game that you will need to do outside of 25-mans where Kings is going to make a difference.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Baelor » Tue May 06, 2008 8:06 am

Lore wrote:You don't need Kings. Unless you have 0 Holy Paladins, if you're in Sunwell, you don't need Kings. There is nothing in the game that you will need to do outside of 25-mans where Kings is going to make a difference.

And to expand upon that, spell damage hurts. Not taking Spell Warding makes you less resilient to all magic schools. You know that you're going to take spell damage in almost every encounter. In my thinking about it, the only encounters in t5 and t6 that involve pure physical damage are Gurtogg and maybe Lurker. Everything else has either elemental splash or some hefty spells involved. And in Sunwell, there's heavy elemental damage. Kalecgos has shadow and arcane, Brutallus has fire, Felmyst has I think some nature, Twins and M'uru have some intense shadow, and Kil'jaeden is bound to have some fire and shadow. Rule #1 of tanking is stay alive, right? This is a direct 4% reduction to a major source of damage in almost every encounter. Why would you skimp there?

To reiterate what I've been saying and what Lore said, you have other blessings at your disposal in 5/10 mans, and if you've got a decently constructed 25-man raid, you'll have multiple paladins so someone else can cover Kings. Take Spell Warding and drop the points elsewhere.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Zeels » Tue May 06, 2008 12:29 pm

I'm interested to see how much of a threat increase you get from dropping 2points in improved judgement and putting them in reckoning (like lore did)
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby elson » Wed May 07, 2008 2:53 pm

Worldie wrote:I also went for 3/5 Reckoning after having 5/5 for a week or two as well.

Did not notice much difference in uptime, and it's a considerable threat boost.
I'd rather have 5/5, but u have to take points from somewhere to pick Sanctity ><

From pure guessing (no math behind this, might be BS), i'd say 3/5 Reckoning is around 5-6% TPS boost.

After doing some rough calculations from the last offical VR kill my guild will likely do, 3/5 reckoning came close to a 10% overall increase for me. Granted, that fight is one that favors the talent with the poundings and all, but with SOR becoming a larger and larger amount of a tankadins overall threat I wouldn't be surprised if at the sunwell level your numbers are fairly close.
Zeal without wisdom is folly

My armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ll&n=Elson
elson

Postby Lore » Wed May 07, 2008 3:19 pm

elson wrote:
Worldie wrote:I also went for 3/5 Reckoning after having 5/5 for a week or two as well.

Did not notice much difference in uptime, and it's a considerable threat boost.
I'd rather have 5/5, but u have to take points from somewhere to pick Sanctity ><

From pure guessing (no math behind this, might be BS), i'd say 3/5 Reckoning is around 5-6% TPS boost.

After doing some rough calculations from the last offical VR kill my guild will likely do, 3/5 reckoning came close to a 10% overall increase for me. Granted, that fight is one that favors the talent with the poundings and all, but with SOR becoming a larger and larger amount of a tankadins overall threat I wouldn't be surprised if at the sunwell level your numbers are fairly close.

There's so much damage flying around so frequently in Sunwell that I would wager just about any fight there is just as good for Reckoning.

Keep in mind that it procs off of any damage taken, not just melee or physical.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby elson » Thu May 08, 2008 1:38 am

Good to know about the spell dmg in the sunwell. VR is just one of those fights I loved because it was one of the few I felt played into some of our talents strengths for both threat generation and mitigation. With my guild 4/5 hjyal and only 3 bosses down in BT atm I'm not sure we'll ever see sunwell, but nice to know some similar mechanics that play to our strengths are there.
Zeal without wisdom is folly

My armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ll&n=Elson
elson

Postby Gotwa » Thu May 08, 2008 2:19 am

I'm somewhat of a small fan of atleast 1 point in Imp Judgement (Someone brought up somewhere about 3 judges during AW instead of 2 with a 9 second cd).. but how about with the standard 49/12 spec you do this.. ?

Remove BoK and 1 point out of imp judgement.. and one out of AD?

so you still are left with 3/5 reckoning, AND 2/2 spell warding?

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhxIx0dGgatVox

Obviously higher gear-level tanks can remove a point out of Anticipation .. but How.. substantial is that 6% when you're already that low? Is that 6% loss from AD enough to be balanced from the threat gain on reckoning and keeping spell warding?
Gotwa

Postby Griffonheart » Thu May 08, 2008 10:19 pm

Baelor wrote:. Rule #1 of tanking is stay alive, right? This is a direct 4% reduction to a major source of damage in almost every encounter. Why would you skimp there?

Question though... atm I have PoJ for the +3% spell avoidance. While Reckoning can boost the aggro, is it wise to give up the spell protection from PoJ then, if the #1 rule is for survival?

I don't have aggro problem atm but I presume that dps power up much faster than tanks, eventually it might become a concern. So is this the weigh between survival and extra aggro?
True Voyage is Return

Griffonheart

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents