Healing for a paladin vs. Healing for a warrior

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Healing for a paladin vs. Healing for a warrior

Postby Wyleai » Sat May 03, 2008 8:43 pm

After we did a night in Kara with a tankadin once (not me), and then later mentioning such concepts as AoE tanking and 'don't CC it unless I fail to pull it into my consecrate' and 'yes, I actually want to tank more than one mob at a time, in fact, that set of 20 over there might not be enough for me ( :p )' my guild's main holy priest came back with:

'Seems like I'm going to have to really adjust how I heal for healing a paladin.'

So...

Is that true? I gather it is, but what should I tell her exactly. Up till now my main was a resto druid, and I have healed for both a warrior main tank and a paladin main tank, but I'm not sure I could quantify any difference from a druid's perspective.

I did try to tell her "just spam heals on me constantly, go for the faster casting ones moreso than the heavy hitters."

My thinking there was, I want a steady stream of mana, not spaced out bursts. But that's just a guess, and its really me telling her that from the perspective of my druid where I -do- spam rejuvenation and lifebloom almost without break or pause. But I do that for any kind of tank.

So, any real difference, anything I should tell her?
Wyleai

Postby Sarutankah » Sat May 03, 2008 10:16 pm

Because a pally will rock up and tank more than one boss or a boss and all adds - yeah pally tanks can be more intense for healers and they usually freak out because all of a sudden trash requires more than just renew.

I hate healing warriors through the basic instances - it just seems so.. slow.

As for the types of heals.. depends on encounter entirely. I ask for big heals and not until I at 60% or so - that way healer can dps a bit as well.

LOLSMITE 8)
Sarutankah

Postby Extermi » Sun May 04, 2008 12:20 am

There is a key difference - when tanking trash, a Paladin being pushed into the lower 35% of his health is much easier to rescue than other tanking classes thanks to ardent defender. My healers love me for that.

Extermi
Extermi

Re: Healing for a paladin vs. Healing for a warrior

Postby Soltyr » Sun May 04, 2008 2:43 am

Wyleai wrote:my guild's main holy priest came back with:
'Seems like I'm going to have to really adjust how I heal for healing a paladin.'

In short, on trash mobs, yes. There are two differences:

1) the incoming damage (1-2 mobs vs a pack pull)
2) how the paladin treats the damage mitigation (35% health)

Nothing so hard (even for some healers it's "intense" lovely healing), just give to him a few time to get confidence with a paladin tank if it's the first time (a couple of heroics can help).
Soltyr

Postby Levantine » Sun May 04, 2008 2:55 am

I actually had to HEAL my tankadin today in Karazhan. Of course, that's because he had 3 elites wailing on him.
Levantine

Postby Minn » Sun May 04, 2008 3:45 am

One nice thing about healing a paladin tank is not having to worry about aggro. If you're doing the standard "pull, corner, consecrate, kill" routine, the healer should be free to drop big heals from the start. 2 packs? No problem, as soon as that consecrate hits, your healer is safe. If for any reason there's a mob or two on a healer, ranged taunt brings it back. BoP is up every 5 minutes if you want to push things.
Minn

Postby Levantine » Sun May 04, 2008 3:50 am

Minn wrote:One nice thing about healing a paladin tank is not having to worry about aggro. If you're doing the standard "pull, corner, consecrate, kill" routine, the healer should be free to drop big heals from the start. 2 packs? No problem, as soon as that consecrate hits, your healer is safe. If for any reason there's a mob or two on a healer, ranged taunt brings it back. BoP is up every 5 minutes if you want to push things.

This. I hated it when the Druid was tanking more than one mob. They had me asking for Salvation after Attumen. Luckily, there were three Paladins in the raid, lol. Everyone was all like ZOMGHEALERZ DUN NEED SALV LOLOLOL (They're used to running with only Pally healers, who basically don't generate threat >.>). I then proceeded to land a full Greater Heal, pull aggro and get one hit. They weren't so reluctant to heal me after that. ;)
Levantine

Postby QuantumDelta » Sun May 04, 2008 6:29 am

I'd suggest she use heals she can maintain for a while rather than her faster casting flash heal that will lead to fast oominess.
Your mana flow isn't that important compared to hers since 9/10 you're going to have more incoming HPS than DPS and if it's the other way around you're soon gonna end up dead.

Your healers get used to it after a while and learn to love it though.
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Re: Healing for a paladin vs. Healing for a warrior

Postby Catriona » Sun May 04, 2008 6:55 am

Wyleai wrote:After we did a night in Kara with a tankadin once (not me), and then later mentioning such concepts as AoE tanking and 'don't CC it unless I fail to pull it into my consecrate' and 'yes, I actually want to tank more than one mob at a time, in fact, that set of 20 over there might not be enough for me ( :p )' my guild's main holy priest came back with:

So...

Is that true? I gather it is, but what should I tell her exactly. Up till now my main was a resto druid, and I have healed for both a warrior main tank and a paladin main tank, but I'm not sure I could quantify any difference from a druid's perspective.

I did try to tell her "just spam heals on me constantly, go for the faster casting ones moreso than the heavy hitters."

My thinking there was, I want a steady stream of mana, not spaced out bursts. But that's just a guess, and its really me telling her that from the perspective of my druid where I -do- spam rejuvenation and lifebloom almost without break or pause. But I do that for any kind of tank.

For the bolded part: No. Priests don't do this.
There is no difference between healing a warrior and healing a paladin, and using Flash Heal on you will just run her out of mana. You need bigger heals. If you want a steady stream of mana, get a resto druid as your main healer, because priests will give you bursts if they're doing it right.

The adjustment is that she will no longer be bored and alt-tabbing between renew/ProM and forums/AIM/yaoi.
Stonemaul
Catriona - holy priest / Chivalry - prot paladin / Spirallis - marks hunter / Daiya - destro lock
Catriona

Postby Wyleai » Sun May 04, 2008 8:03 am

Nod. That thinking comes from playing a druid healer - where my faster heals are also my more mana efficient heals.

I'll keep that difference in mind.
Wyleai

Postby Spectrum » Mon May 05, 2008 5:33 pm

I can't speak for raids, but in 5-mans I think my healers generally enjoy that I keep it interesting. Especially when we out-gear an instance.

As a paladin you can just grab more mobs in a way that warriors and bears can't.

That or just hit "x" a bunch.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Mediocre » Tue May 06, 2008 6:42 am

With my main being a priest and our healing lead I can agree that spamming flash heal = OOM quick, fast, and in a hurry. There really isn't much difference in healing a warrior/druid/pally tank. You just have to pay a little more attention with the pally due to the size of the pulls. For my money, healing a pally is actually more fun.
Mediocre

Postby Lore » Tue May 06, 2008 7:04 am

I haven't noticed healing a pally to be too fundamentally different than any other tank, they just tend to take a bit more damage because they're tanking 5 mobs.

Priests should be using greater heal whenever possible. It's more time efficient AND more mana efficient than flash heal.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Mordinm » Tue May 06, 2008 8:14 am

Healing varies a lot between healing classes. Flash Heal is no Flash of Light and should rarely if ever be spammed. That said the only real change I make when healing a pally is not using Earth Sheild if it's not needed. That's because the heals form earth sheild will not restore mana as it counts as you healing yourself. Other then that Pally tanks are like any other pay attention to what's hitting them and how well they are geared and adjust your healing to fit.
Mordinm

Postby Mehnalas » Fri May 16, 2008 7:59 pm

On my shaman I prefer to heal a pally than a warrior even if the paladin takes a bit more damage since I'm much less likely to get whacked myself for healing him.
Lore(lol) wrote:Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nope.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Mehnalas
Mehnalas

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents