Remove Advertisements

Good Tanking Weapon

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Good Tanking Weapon

Postby Meegan » Fri May 02, 2008 7:26 pm

Anyone know a good tanking weapon to use from 40-60?
What is better for tanking? Sword? Axe? Mace?
Meegan

Postby kylone » Fri May 02, 2008 10:10 pm

Generally, swords are better for tanking, as they have faster swing times, and thus have smoother aggro generation.
As for particulars, I honestly forget... :oops:

Try to find a sword with stamina, the swings at 2.0 or faster. That'll help a lot. Stamina should be the easiest stat to find. The +defense, + block, & +spell dmg don't make much of an appearance until outland, but if you find something, by all mosts take it.

--Kylone
Lv 70 Human Paladin Mythi, Emerald Dream
LV 75 Blood Elf Paladin Miere, Lightning Hoof
(deployed, but squeezing out time on 'public' wifi)
kylone

Postby Clearly » Fri May 02, 2008 10:22 pm

Thrash Blade (level 51 quest) Is decent and will help with AoE grinding at those levels.

It's pretty much take what you can get at those levels until 58-60 when there's quest rewards and a dungeon drop.

This should also be in the "Gear" forum.
Clearly

Postby Wyleai » Sun May 04, 2008 8:24 am

I ended up with a mace simply because I found one cheap on the AH, sent it to my enchanting alt, and got better value from that than anything that dropped for me.

And nothing decent dropped in that entire leveling range. The only time a weapon did drop at all for which I was the only class that could use it, it was a polearm, the wrong spec, and the shaman ninja'd it anyway.

Well, at 59 in Ramparts a sword dropped, but another shaman ninja'd that...

As long as you're getting stamina out of it your probably fine. I usually went for spirit or int for the second stat to give myself more mana. Lowbie mana effiency just wasn't that good; not only did I at least have a short supply of decent healers, but at that level spiritual attunement wasn't giving much anyway.

Though if I did get decent healing and it was an instance I would often swap in:
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=9379

To see how that would perform. I tanked ZF at 43, and that dropped, dinged when I turned in the first quest from there, so that was on my list and only combined it with its pair when I hit outlands (and then just to see the look of the two-hander before tossing it).

Which I could remember the name of the mace I had...
Wyleai

Postby dtball3r » Sun May 04, 2008 6:47 pm

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=17943

amazing to aoe with and a with seal of wisdom i never notice my mana going away at all. simply amazing
dtball3r

Postby sherck » Mon May 05, 2008 9:13 am

First of all, let me say that I do not purchase World Drops off the AH until I get into my late 60s on any character unless it is DIRT cheap which nice weapons never are. I just don't think the value of spending the gold (even only 20-30 gold) is worth it when the next upgrade in either an Instance drop or quested item or crafted item is only a level or two away.

So, I included no random World Drops in this list because the chances of my getting them are so low as to laugh and I will not purchase them off the AH.

So, which weapons are nice Pally tanking weapons from around level 33 - 57?

If you are Horde, the Sword of Omen from the SM quest is a very nice weapon obtainable at level 33.

1.90 Speed, 29.7 DPS, + 9 Strength, + 3 Agility, + 4 Stamina

I placed a + 40 Spell Damage enchant on it and I did not replace it until I hit Outlands.

The Alliance version is not as good, IMO because of the 2.20 Speed. However, the increased Stamina amount is nice but I don't know if it is worth losing a Reckoning Proc.

Another popular one that can be equipped at level 45 is Jang'thraze the Protector as a drop from ZF.

1.90 Speed, 33.4 DPS, Chance on hit to proc a damage shield absorbing 55-85 damage lasting 20 seconds.

I did not get this drop but place a + 40 Spell Damage enchant on this and it would last you quite a few levels as well. I still like Omen better because of the stats bonus but to each their own.

If you want to hunt a rare elite and hope for the right drop, then go hunt Omgorn the Lost in Tanaris and hope he drops the Changuk Smasher that you can equip at level 45:

1.90 Speed, 33.4 DPS, + 6 Stamina, + 6 Intellect, + 6 Spirit

Another popular one is the Fist of Stone that drops from Landslide in Maraudon and can be equipped at level 48:

1.80 Speed, 35.3 DPS, Chance on hit to restore 50 mana

Another okay weapon is the Rubidium Hammer dropped by Bael'Gar in BRD and equippable at level 51:

2.00 Speed, 36.8 DPS, 120 armor, + 5 Strength

At level 51, I had a Blacksmithing friend who had the plans for a Blazing Rapier that I played around with. I liked the 1.70 Speed and the DoT effect which was great when fighting a Rogue so you could Bubble-Bandage after a Proc and he could not Bandage himself or go stealth. But no stats on it was not worth switching to it full time.

But, by far the best tanking weapon from the Old World that is easily obtainable, IMO, is Lord Blackwood's Blade, a drop from Lord Blackwood in Scholomance. and equippable at level 57:

1.50 Speed, 40.7 DPS, 60 armor, + 14 Stamina

Again, I never got it because I never ran Scholomance on my Prot Pally until I was grinding it in my upper 60s but a GREAT tanking weapon to take into Outlands.

Some would argue that either Mind Carver from DM or the Blade of Necromancy from Scholomance are better Old World Pally tanking weapons but I do not agree with them.

Another nice choice from DM would be the Hedgecutter axe which requirest level 55:

1.90 Speed, 39.5 DPS, + 5 Strength, + 12 Stamina

Thrash Blade is too slow, IMO. I was Reckoning spec so a 2.70 swing speed was not good for me.

That's about all I can remember. I am sure someone out there will correct my incomplete list.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Meegan » Mon May 05, 2008 9:47 am

Thanks all of those weapons sound great. Can't wait to see which ones i will get.
Meegan

Postby Khayne » Mon May 05, 2008 10:07 am

Actually, if you want most bang for your buck on reckoning you would have Slower than 2.0 to maximize the dmg gain from reckoning.

Faster weapon is a nice thing to gain more seal/judgement of light/wisdom procs (quite good thing when soloing), but for gaining from reckoning slower is actually better. after 2.0 it´s draw of luck...you can gain less than 4 procs but your swings will hit for alot more at same time, on average the dmg gain is same after the 2.0 speed.

Example the Thrash Blade: 2.7 speed, average hit is 95 dmg.
On reckoning it gets 3 hits pretty much allways (26/27 chance on getting 3 hits in and even in that 1/27 chance if you parry even once during that 8 seconds reckoning time you´ll still land 3 hits). 3 extra swings at 95dmg/swing= 285.
If it was 2.0 average swing would be 70.4 but you´d allways gain 4 of those so on reckoning you´d gain 4*70.4=281.6dmg allways when reckoning procs.

Pretty much all weapons in shercks list are good, just pointing out that slow aint a bad thing for reckoning. Wouldn´t go hunt for the scholo weapon though, as you can go get a better weapon from outlands once you ding 58 anyway.
Khayne

Postby sherck » Mon May 05, 2008 10:24 am

Khayne wrote:Actually, if you want most bang for your buck on reckoning you would have Slower than 2.0 to maximize the dmg gain from reckoning.

I suppose if you go with pure white damage, than this is a true statement. You can get heavy damaging weapons with slower swing times and when Reckoning procs, get some very heavy hits in.

However, you do lose out on the extra Seal / Judgement effect if you do not get all four of the Reckoning extra swings. For pure damage, the 4th swing delivering both white damage and Holy Seal of Right damage probably more than makes up for the heavier damage on only three extra swings with a slower weapon.

And you already mentioned the extra effect of a potential Judged or Sealed Light, Wisdom or Justice proc.

I know there have been threads devoted to the topic but I have not read one yet that FOR SURE breaks down that a slower weapon outperforms a faster weapon for Reckoning when factoring in Seals and Judgements. Pure white damage, yes but the overall package?

BTW, does anyone know for sure if Reckoning can proc while already up and reset the 8 seconds? It has been a long time since I was specced into Reckoning on my old Tankadin and my current guy is only level 32 at the moment and with only 4% in Reckoning, it does not proc very much yet.

If Reckoning can proc when up and you get a "continous" up-time, than that greatly favors slower weapons. If you cannot get a Reckoning proc until after the previous one drops, that greatly favors a 2.0 or faster weapon.

But, good discussion. For Ally Pallies, I always got the Crescent of the Forlorn Spirit from the Duskwood quest chain as my primary tanking weapon with the + 30 / + 40 Spell Damage enchant (dating myself) and for Horde now, I get Sword of Omen with the + 40 Enchant so my weapons are always under 2.0 seconds.

Throw in a little Wizards Oil from an Enchanting alt and a piece or two of mail/leather Spell Damage gear with the rest of my Plate and I tanked all the old world instances with those weapons.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby jere » Mon May 05, 2008 10:34 am

You know, this thread reminded me of something. At level 60, I used to tank BWL/MC/ZG/AQ with http://www.wowhead.com/?item=2243

Way back before TBC, the proc was an instant cast heal, so I set up my scrolling combat text to send me a message in bright big letters when it proc'd and I had a macro for a self Holy Light keybound, that I could mash when I saw it pop up. I think I slapped a +30 spell dmg enchant on the puppy and went to town. Those were fun times.
jere

Postby Meegan » Mon May 05, 2008 1:02 pm

From what i have been told from tanking on my warrior a few times, that damage does not matter when tanking. Damage is for the DPS'ers. Your job is just hold the mobs back from them and the healers.
Meegan

Postby Ciandin » Mon May 05, 2008 1:39 pm

For the most part, your threat is based upon the damage you do, keeping the tanked baddy on you and away from your dps'ers.
Fighting over the internet is like the special olympics... even if you win, you're still retarded.
Ciandin

Postby Talmus » Mon May 05, 2008 1:42 pm

I really enjoyed my flurry axe in that level range. Used it until I got my first green weapon from Outlands.
Talmus

Postby Lalecize » Mon May 05, 2008 2:02 pm

Talmus wrote:I really enjoyed my flurry axe in that level range. Used it until I got my first green weapon from Outlands.

Seconded, the flurry axe rocks. It did me till outlands.
Pretty much no chance of finding spell damage on a weap for you until outlands. The flurry axe gives extra swings for threat, and helps in proccing SoW/SoL. Combined with reckoning, I believe its great.

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=871
Lalecize

Postby sherck » Tue May 06, 2008 11:55 am

Talmus wrote:I really enjoyed my flurry axe in that level range. Used it until I got my first green weapon from Outlands.

I like the Flurry Axe as well but never got one as a drop and was not going to spend that kind of money on it from the AH.

However, I am a guy who likes to have constant effects when tanking as much as possible so having constant stats instead of a variable proc effect is more important to me on my weapon.

I always got Striking enchants on my Warrior tank instead of Fiery or another proc because I wanted that bonus every time a weapon hit, not once out of 6 or 7 hits.

That is just me. Flurry Axe is a very fine weapon and if it drops or if you want to spend 100s of gold on it, good on you. [/salute]

Cheers,
sherck

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents