What Stats are good for tankadin?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

What Stats are good for tankadin?

Postby Meegan » Fri May 02, 2008 2:44 pm

I have a lvl 30 blood elf pally who is holy right now but i decided to make her a tank instead. So i was wondering what stats would be could for tanking?

I was thinking:
Stamina for more health
Intellect for more mana and using mana attacks iffecentially
Stength, just a little though, for more block value.

Those were the what i was using as a holyadin. I had strength for soloing and thats all mail has around lvl 30. I would find the post on my own but i am lazy.
Meegan

Postby Robin de tolens » Fri May 02, 2008 2:46 pm

Krahla - 80 Warlock
Elemmírë - 70 Priest
Veljen - 25 Shaman
The reliable protection of the horseman is DONKEY of the bathroom
Robin de tolens

Postby Meegan » Fri May 02, 2008 2:54 pm

if i could find the stickies i wouldnt have asked. so if someone can tell me some good stats i would appreciate it.
Meegan

Postby Robin de tolens » Fri May 02, 2008 2:59 pm

Intellect is not useful if you're healed. Strength to block ratio is really not interesting. Stamina and Def rating, or even agility would be good.

At least before TBC since you will have to gear as a warrior until you step into Draenor. Once there you can start reading some of the stickies to know how you should optimize your gear. 'Of the knight' is great, 'Of the champion' is good also. You just have to remember that as you're a tank your priority is survivability.
Krahla - 80 Warlock
Elemmírë - 70 Priest
Veljen - 25 Shaman
The reliable protection of the horseman is DONKEY of the bathroom
Robin de tolens

Postby QuantumDelta » Fri May 02, 2008 7:20 pm

Without meaning to be rude, if you cba to look at/for the work other people have done, don't ask illiterately pointed questions.

Most of what you would seem to want is in the exact thread Robin linked.

Which you should have found yourself.
Please look before you leap.
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Postby Chevalier » Fri May 02, 2008 7:29 pm

I skimmed through that article and didn't see anything about stats in particular to go for, so here are some you should be paying attention to.

Armor
Stamina
Block Value
Defense Rating
Dodge Rating
Parry Rating
Block Rating
Spell Damage
Agility

Hope that helps.
Chevalier

Postby Meegan » Fri May 02, 2008 8:15 pm

yes it does thank you so very much :). i could not find any of those stats mentioned in there either so thats why i asked. some people arent as nice as they try to be :P
Meegan

Postby QuantumDelta » Sat May 03, 2008 6:56 am

The problem is with generic advice like that, although I agree with most of it and only really would tweak it a bit/add 2 columns (expr/hitr) doesn't pay much attention to the op, who mentioned being low level....understanding all the mechanics would allow the op to choose for themselves, in reference:

Armour/Sta/Def/Int/Spelldamage
Is all I'd worry about pre-70 - not that the other stats aren't useful, but they're hard to find and often on bad items.

Also slapping a pre-70 with no intellect for leveling and instance groups with weak healing baring in mind our mana efficiency is pretty dire at any level means they'd constantly be unable to use high rank abilities.

As with most answers on this forum:

"It's not easy."
That's why you're better off being able to make the judgement yourself.
Which is why it was suggested you read the material.
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Postby Holyfuri » Sat May 03, 2008 8:00 am

The above poster is correct. The fact is that while leveling anything that looks like tanking gear is probably going to be a good choice. It really doesn't much matter either to be honest. After you hit 70 however it does start mattering. Another fact is that it is not a simple matter to choose gear. Alot of tanking gear with spell damage on it is crap, and alot of generic tanking gear is too itemized like warrior gear. To effectively pick gear and make decisions you need a good understanding of the mechanics of the tanking game as it applies to paladins and how each stat effects your survivability/threat.

So, while you are leveling, yes generally anything with stam/def/intellect/agility/spell damage is going to be fine. As you hit about level 65 or so start reading everything you can here and on the WoW pally forums to become as informed as you can, because gearing choices for a prot paladin can, at times, get quite complicated.
Holyfuri

Postby Minn » Sat May 03, 2008 4:45 pm

Look for items with Defense rating AND other stats. Green item "of Defense?" Not worth it. Blue item "of the Champion" or better yet "of the Knight?" Now that's a better stat mix. You get stamina and defense. For heavy hitters, you want the hard tanking stats: stamina, armor, defense, dodge, parry. Agility and Block Rating are nice to have as well. Once you and your healers are comfortable, you can look at secondary stats like spell damage*, block value, hit rating, etc.

If you're interested in tanking 10-man instances, you'll want to get to uncrushable. This is well covered in other areas, but basically, get your 15 Badges of Justice for the Libram of Repentance somehow, and wear a few pieces with loads of block rating til your gear improves.

*Yes, I called spell damage a secondary stat. The one exception here is your weapon. Use a spell damage weapon, with the highest amount of spell damage you can find, and some stamina. Other than that though, I'd be wary of picking up some of the early "paladin-tank-itemized" loot with a lot of points spent on int and spell damage. Example: Gauntlets of the Righteous vs. Felsteel Gloves. If you want to actually tank Heroics without getting your face stomped, build up a set with hard tanking stats and loads of stamina.
Minn

Postby Ciandin » Mon May 05, 2008 11:01 am

From levels 30 to 50ish look mainly at stam and armor, picking up a bit of int as it comes. Once you get into your 50's you should be seeing some items giving spell damage and defense; feel free to mix and match as you see fit.

You'll want as much stam and armor as possible so when your aoe grinding you don't take damage quite as fast. Install a shield spike on your shield, then just seal and judge light or wisdom and let 5 or 10 mobs beat themselves to death on your shield and retribution aura. A big key is to keep your seal up and keep swinging, replenishing your health and mana.
Fighting over the internet is like the special olympics... even if you win, you're still retarded.
Ciandin

Postby Meegan » Mon May 05, 2008 12:59 pm

Ciandin wrote:From levels 30 to 50ish look mainly at stam and armor, picking up a bit of int as it comes. Once you get into your 50's you should be seeing some items giving spell damage and defense; feel free to mix and match as you see fit.

You'll want as much stam and armor as possible so when your aoe grinding you don't take damage quite as fast. Install a shield spike on your shield, then just seal and judge light or wisdom and let 5 or 10 mobs beat themselves to death on your shield and retribution aura. A big key is to keep your seal up and keep swinging, replenishing your health and mana.

Shouldn't i rely on my healers for replenishing my health?
Meegan

Postby Ciandin » Mon May 05, 2008 1:45 pm

In a group setting, yes; I was referring to aoe solo grinding. You won't see much in the way of spell damage or defense gear until nearing outlands, so in a group setting you'll still want to emphasize sta and armor so you can take a beating from multiple mobs at once. Your healer will replenish your health and your mana so you can go all out with threat in that case.
Fighting over the internet is like the special olympics... even if you win, you're still retarded.
Ciandin

Return to Basic Training & Talents