Hey guys.. Ret tanking question..

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Hey guys.. Ret tanking question..

Postby Easpada » Thu May 01, 2008 10:34 pm

I used to be prot i have full kara non badge gear. but i'm ret now full time. I'm wondering if there is a ret dps spec that might still beable to tank heroic's?

right now i'm looking at:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/cla ... lents.html

my defense is at 495 without the defense talent. so i'm just wondering. i'm still a tankadin at heart.. but i do want to smash people's faces too. i let my holy paladin in my guild become the new tankadin, so i'm not going to take that spot back.

Thanks for the responces in advance.
Easpada

Postby Aleriya » Fri May 02, 2008 1:06 am

You linked the talent calculator without any talents in it.

0/20/41 is pretty effective as a tank. I've tanked most of Kara in that spec before, and a few heroics. You'll be quite a bit squishier, but that just means that the healers have to stay awake :lol:
Aleriya

Postby Erlata » Fri May 02, 2008 2:07 am

I can't see the spc i'm talking about right now as at work... But i'm used the clasic pvp setup with imp Righteous defence and stun resist. My agro has been very good due to the imp Righteous and having our dps aura up but you are alot more squishy... I did manage to tank a heroic MagT in that spec but my tank gear is a 23.5k hp set from MH/BT.
Erlata

Postby Aedolfmawini » Tue May 06, 2008 10:14 am

If you wanna tank heroics as 0/20/41 ret, it's ALL about the gear. If you are over 485 def, stack a lot of block rating/value and stam, you'll be fine (i've done several at 80%+ block/dodge/parry/miss and 600 BV as ret). You won't be able to where anywhere near as little gear as you would in prot spec, much the same as a fury warr.
Aedolfmawini

Postby Minn » Wed May 07, 2008 2:13 am

I just tanked a couple heroics 0/20/41 and things were pretty smooth. You do want to pay attention to your defense, or at least cover uncrittable with resil. Stack up that block rating then just go for hps. Commendation of Kael'Thas is awesome when you actually take damage :) You can use repentance for a ranged pull. I'd also recommend judging crusader early if you have the talent points adding crit chance, it helps build up your vengeance stack. Sustained TPS is pretty solid, but you definitely lack the early bump from AS. Popping AW or getting misdirects helps a lot.
Minn

Postby Zaffira » Wed May 14, 2008 3:10 pm

I've been speccing as Ret for the weekends for fun and PvP since I've recently acquired a full-epic ret set out of ZA and SSC.

For giggles I tanked a few heroics in that spec and it was an absolute nightmare. I couldn't believe how much squishier I was--okay this was 15/0/46, but still...

One of my favorite things to do is tank heroic SH and I dropped like a fly as ret on the first pull of just 3 mobs (in full epic T5 level gear). And this was with a 2000+ heal T5 shammy. Not having holy shield makes you much squishier, as well as less armor, less block value, almost 2k less stam, etc.

Sure, you might be able to tank stuff that a normal warrior would, using lots of cc and tanking one mob at a time--but then why?

IMO, forget about AE tanking any heroic as Ret, period. If you do tank use cc and be cautious--but I guarantee it won't be fun.
Zaffira

Postby Candiru » Fri May 23, 2008 1:42 am

As long as you pick up Redoubt, imp.righeousfury and toughness you should be able to tank heroics fine as long as your tanking gear is pro.

I tanked heroic mech in holy spec fine, The 50%mana cost thingy and auto-crit holy shocks for the pull make it pretty easy to hold agro :)
Candiru

Postby Morpheren » Fri May 23, 2008 5:54 am

Zaffira wrote:I couldn't believe how much squishier I was--okay this was 15/0/46, but still...

"but still" nothing, you didn't have ANY points in protection. . . no armor boost, no threat/dmg reduction, no BV talents, nothing.
whatisboom.com - Two parts rocket fuel, one part genius.
Chef Koriel, Guild Master of Fury Untold on Sen'jin
Morpheren

Return to Basic Training & Talents