Improved Retribution Aura + spell damage

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Improved Retribution Aura + spell damage

Postby Brauun » Thu May 01, 2008 7:23 am

Ok, so I had been toying around with the idea of doing a 0/44/17 build to tank Hyjal's trash, but after doing searches on the site I came to understand it wasn't worth it to lose 2 points in Combat Expertise or One-Handed Combat Specialization to gain about 13 dmg per mob swing.

What I haven't been able to find out though is if Improved Retribution Aura starts being profitable at a certain level of spell damage. Unbuffed in Hyjal gear, I sit at 408 exactly. I use a Flask of Blinding Light, and sometimes +spell damage food, which ups me at 500ish spell damage.

EDIT : And can someone tell me if someone ever used this damned talent in a build? As far as I know, Retribution pallies don't have that much more points to spare than Protection pallies.
All your mobs are belong to us. You have no chance to survive make your time.
Brauun

Postby Baelor » Thu May 01, 2008 7:30 am

Retribution Aura and its improved talent do not scale with spell damage. Improved Retribution Aura is hardly worth the talent points for anyone but the most dedicated AoE grinder.

For at least the 100th time, IMPROVED RETRIBUTION AURA IS NOT A TANKING TALENT. It's not even a good talent. Ret paladins use Sanctity, prot paladins shouldn't have the points to spare on it. If you're speccing into Imp. Ret Aura, you're skimping too much elsewhere.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Brauun » Thu May 01, 2008 7:33 am

Good thanks. Didn't knew Retribution Aura didn't scaled with spell damage (call me a newb). That pretty much ends any possibility of me speccing into it. ;)
Brauun

Postby Aleriya » Thu May 01, 2008 8:55 am

Imp Ret aura is often cited as one of the worst talents in any tree.
Aleriya

Postby farmerjohn » Thu May 01, 2008 9:26 am

Aleriya wrote:Imp Ret aura is often cited as one of the worst talents in any tree.

This, I have never seen a reason to spec for it, in any talent build. Unless I was just clicking things :)

Even just doing some major AOE farming, I don't see how it could really help me out.
I'll need an unlimited supply of Xena tapes and Hotpockets
farmerjohn

Postby Songblade » Sun May 11, 2008 10:28 am

Brauun wrote:Good thanks. Didn't knew Retribution Aura didn't scaled with spell damage (call me a newb). That pretty much ends any possibility of me speccing into it. ;)

Newb...

j/k =P.

But yeah, I never use ret aura, and by never I mean absolutely never, if I am taking ANY damage, or am in a group where damage is being taken, Devotion Aura is better, so it's either that, a resistance aura (on fights where it's useful) or concentration aura.

[Insert witty comment here]
Songblade

Postby Fridmarr » Sun May 11, 2008 12:09 pm

Songblade wrote:
Brauun wrote:Good thanks. Didn't knew Retribution Aura didn't scaled with spell damage (call me a newb). That pretty much ends any possibility of me speccing into it. ;)

Newb...

j/k =P.

But yeah, I never use ret aura, and by never I mean absolutely never, if I am taking ANY damage, or am in a group where damage is being taken, Devotion Aura is better, so it's either that, a resistance aura (on fights where it's useful) or concentration aura.

I acutally use ret aura all the time. Except for bosses I don't really have a need for Devo, so the little bit of extra threat from ret aura is better than nothing. Sometimes devo is also supplied by a holy pally in my group. That said, improved ret aura is a horrible talent.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Brauun » Sun May 11, 2008 12:50 pm

Granted, Imp. Retribution Aura really is terrible once you understand it does not scale with spell dmg. Had it, I'm not sure it would have been all that bad, but then again, it's so deep in the Retribution tree it's not really possible for a Protection paladin to spec into it. Topic closed.

As for Retribution Aura itself, indeed a Holy Paladin will most probably provide you with Improved Devotion Aura, and I find Retribution Aura to be much more useful for a couple of reasons.

First, I don't really see it as a threat-generation talent as much as a CC talent. Looking back on many WWS, it account for a mere 1-2% of my overall damage (not threat, but gives an idea). However, I see it as a tool which allows mobs to 'stick' to me, like a second Consecration. It's almost worthless on a main-target, but awesome when tanking multi-mobs like in MH. You gotta be quick to remove it though, cause the sticky effect can go back agaisnt you if aggro goes awol and starts running everywhere, in which case a quick Devo swtich is a smart move.

Second, Devotion does increase my survivability, but gimps my mana regen. In fights when survivability ain't really an issue, having an aura which reflects dmg on multiple and allows for better mana regen is awesome, IMO.

Point is, each and everyone of our auras are tools for different jobs, and I believe we should use everyone of them according to the situation. I even use Concentration aura sometimes, especially in MH to secure initial aggro on each wave. Using Holy Wrath there can be tricky, you gotta time it perfectly and sometimes an unseen shadow bolt can knockback your cast enough so that it becomes almost impossible to cast it without having your health doing the yo-yo, and Concentration Aura helps a lot. Just switch back to Retribution Aura once the spell is cast.
Brauun

Return to Basic Training & Talents