Remove Advertisements

My current tanking spec

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

My current tanking spec

Postby ishlyn » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:34 am

Hello all,

I have been reading through the specs that are commonly used. I like them but I wanted to post my spec for critique. I normally tank ZA and stuff like that, ZA is maintank a lot of times I rotate in as main and sometimes as off other than that I do a lot of 5 mans as well. Here is what I use and since you know what I do thats about it, my spec atm is ret since I did arenas last night but later today when I'm prot I will post an updated armory. Thanks in advance for the assistance!

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/cla ... 0000000000
ishlyn

Postby Doktah » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:32 am

You need to remove 2 points from reckoning and put it into imp judge to improve your tps. 3/5 reckoning is just as good as 5/5 reckoning. Also, you could get rid of spell warding and put it into toughness as your screwed either way with spells.
Doktah

Postby Aloette » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:58 am

Doktah wrote:You need to remove 2 points from reckoning and put it into imp judge to improve your tps. 3/5 reckoning is just as good as 5/5 reckoning.

It depends on the number of mobs your tanking. If you're only tanking 1 mob obviously 5/5 has an advantage over 3/5. When you start comparing uptime against 4+ mobs, 3/5 does begin to catch up to 5/5.

Imp Judgement is only ~1.5% increased threat from what I understand, and 1/2 gives you the best bang for your buck as it increases threat by ~0.9%. The second point only brings you up to ~1.5% due to the increase in overlapping cooldowns.

I usually skip this talent, just for the ease of not having to deal with the overlaps. If I ever run into the problem of throttling the majority of DPS, then it's something I'll consider. If I'm forcing 1 person out of the raid to throttle then it's not worth it. If I'm pushing out enough TPS to finish the ecounter before an enrage timer, I expect the DPS to do their job and drop the boss before the timer expires while not pull aggro.

Yea, it's nice to boost threat where possible to shave a minute or two off the kill time, but I've always felt that you can effectively do that with a gear swap. I tend to pick survival talents over threat talents when given the choice. I'd rather spend 1-2 more minutes on each boss in a raid than unnecessairly wiping once or twice.

Doktah wrote:Also, you could get rid of spell warding and put it into toughness as your screwed either way with spells.

I would keep SW if possible. Since he's maintaking ZA I actually don't even think it's an option, but that's just me. If there was a warrior that could come in for magic heavy fights then you can get away without it, but if the OP is MTing everything, it's a good talent to have.

That being said, you need to find a way to get 5/5 toughness. Don't underestimate the value of armor. If you need to find points to drop, drop them from anticipation -- you should have enough of a defense buffer on your equipment to drop a few points.

When it comes down to the theorycraft I'm really not sure which talent provides the best bang for the buck (toughness vs anticipation), but I've always read about people dropping anticipation as opposed to toughness when trying to squeeze out a few talent points.
Aloette

Postby Doktah » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:54 am

If there was a warrior that could come in for magic heavy fights then you can get away without it, but if the OP is MTing everything, it's a good talent to have.

I MT bosses in ZA and have no issue but then again we are in BT and Ishlyn may not be. I tanked with SW and without and I have no issue without it. oh well.
Doktah

Postby ishlyn » Sat May 17, 2008 10:00 am

I'm usually ret for BT unfortunately 8 (. We have another pally thats full time prot. I'm doing this one for fun mostly.
ishlyn

Return to Basic Training & Talents