Remove Advertisements

Lack of Mana

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Lack of Mana

Postby TheBlackDahliaMurder » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:58 pm

I need help badly! I have trouble tanking because my mana pool is garbage, 5400 unbuffed. Can you help me respec or give me other suggestions?

Armory: http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... g&n=Monzus
TheBlackDahliaMurder

Postby mustangofold » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:29 pm

What are you trying to tank, and with what kind of DPS?

You should have no problems holding aggro with your spell damage, and with the new to 70 or new to tanking gear you have on you should be taking more than enough damage to require heals to keep your mana pool up.
mustangofold

Postby Seloei » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:19 pm

Normal instances are horrid, since you outgear them quite fast, start downranking consecrate to rank4 to save mana if you really have to. If that isn't enough, downrank to 1, if THAT still isnt enough, then your dps is slacking.

Your mana pool is fine, it's even bigger than mine and i rarely have mana probs.
Seloei

Postby Aloette » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:42 pm

tanking what? raid bosses, or 5 man instances? For raiding you should probably invest in a mana potion injector. There will be situations when there's no way around using consumables. putting a shadow priest in your group goes a long way as well.

your spec is the cookie-cutter tankadin spec, and spec has very little to do with your mana regen. your goal as a tank is to first and foremost survive at all costs, and your spec should, for the most part, reflect that. what that means is, you shouldn't be dropping talents in order to take more damage to recieve more mana regen.

as far as other tips, the first one, as already mentioned is to downrank consecrate to rank 4 in 5-mans. that should generate enough threat to keep the non-focused mobs off the healer. another thing you can do is have your character sit a few times on the last mob in each pull to take a bit more damage (sitting causes you to be crit, even if you are 'uncritable').

Other than that, you generally have to suck it up and drink every 4-8 pulls. I can usually go about 6 pulls on average without having to drink, and even then, it takes only 10-15 seconds. I usually have to drink no more than the casters or healers in my group, so I just micromanage my mana so that I end up having to drink at the same time as them.
Aloette

Postby Robin de tolens » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:51 pm

Aloette wrote:Other than that, you generally have to suck it up and drink every 4-8 pulls. I can usually go about 6 pulls on average without having to drink, and even then, it takes only 10-15 seconds. I usually have to drink no more than the casters or healers in my group, so I just micromanage my mana so that I end up having to drink at the same time as them.

Drink less than a priest? We don't even drink at all. The time you take to drink and engage next pull, we're full mana :D
Krahla - 80 Warlock
Elemmírë - 70 Priest
Veljen - 25 Shaman
The reliable protection of the horseman is DONKEY of the bathroom
Robin de tolens

Postby Gerilith » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:01 am

The key to success is gearing. Proper gearing for each situation => no mana probs at all.
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
Gerilith

Postby TheBlackDahliaMurder » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:14 pm

Right now I'm trying to get enough gear to do Kara. So right now: normal 5 mans, I tried a heroic and can't do it, I don't have the health atm.
TheBlackDahliaMurder

Postby Questioner » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:20 pm

If you are running content where you run out of mana, pull more mobs.

If you die, you weren't going to run out of mana anyway.

However, looking at your gear...if you are running out of mana, perhaps its because someone else is tanking? :shock:
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Postby Averroes » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:23 pm

I still run out of mana when I do 5 mans or kara which kinda sucks. If you can try to get at least one of the following if you can, shaman, shadow priest, or a ret paladin in your group. The shaman can just lay the mp5 totem down, the shadow priests dots heal you which gives you back some mana and the mana dot as well vampire embrace or what ever its called, and the ret paladin can judge crusader while you judge wisdom.
Averroes

Postby Aloette » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:10 am

Averroes wrote:I still run out of mana when I do 5 mans or kara which kinda sucks. If you can try to get at least one of the following if you can, shaman, shadow priest, or a ret paladin in your group. The shaman can just lay the mp5 totem down, the shadow priests dots heal you which gives you back some mana and the mana dot as well vampire embrace or what ever its called, and the ret paladin can judge crusader while you judge wisdom.

this. 'building' your group is just as important as who is in the raid.

for some raid leaders it may not be ideal to have to 'build' a group around your tank (especially since warriors and druids don't require such amenities, so for closed minded guilds/leaders it just adds to the notion that paladins can't tank), but having one of those 3 classes really helps. Ideally your shadow priest should be in a group with healers or casters (whomever is prone to go OOM in your raid) but if you can get away with a group with you, spriest and 3 others who need the spriest -- that is the easiest solution.
Aloette

Postby Egtheridon » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:10 pm

If you can trust your healer, sit down when you have a good chunk of health to spare, force the crit and let them heal you to full for more mana. As long as you don't try to sit down on hard hitting mobs(once sat down in front of a bog lord in ub 10997 dmg ftw) you can use it as an effective way to pump your mana pool, the down side is you take more damage, and its highly dependent on your healers gear level and thier skill level. Probably one of the most important things i learned on these forums to decrease downtime in instances.
Paladin/70/Rivendare
Egtheridon

Postby sweeney » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:12 am

Hopefully you're logged out in your farming gear (if you are, then there are a couple of questable spelldamage items and trinkets you don't have yet, look at wow-loot.com or something.)

If that is your tanking gear, you're at 460 defense and 19 resilience, but there are, again, a couple of questable tank items and trinkets you don't have yet. Dabri's Enigma, for instance is a 2-3 man quest reward for a nice +defense trinket. Breastplate of the Warbringer is a 1-2 man quest reward for a proper blue tanking BP. The "pre-kara loot list" sticky will be useful for you.

In the gear you've got on right now, you'd be fine for normal 5-mans (if a bit low on HP), but heroics, yeah, you'd probably die on the first pull. For regular 5-mans, I don't know how you're going OOM unless you're using CC; you should need regular healing. :)

Oh, and you have sockets without +9 stamina gems in them and you need more HP, so that's an easy thing to improve at least.
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby Sur-Pseudo » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:10 pm

Gerilith wrote:The key to success is gearing. Proper gearing for each situation => no mana probs at all.

people call me crazy... but I agree...

Shattered Halls: Increase your ability to block, regardless of most stats lost in other areas. Do not concern yourself over block value.

the idea is, in AOE tanking, Blocks = threat (with the right blessing up), and HS adds to that..

Basically, My idea is to take in more damage as blocks, and lowing my dodge in the process (switching dodge gear for shield block gear)
Sur-Pseudo

Postby Seloei » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:52 am

Aloette wrote:
this. 'building' your group is just as important as who is in the raid.

for some raid leaders it may not be ideal to have to 'build' a group around your tank (especially since warriors and druids don't require such amenities, so for closed minded guilds/leaders it just adds to the notion that paladins can't tank), but having one of those 3 classes really helps. Ideally your shadow priest should be in a group with healers or casters (whomever is prone to go OOM in your raid) but if you can get away with a group with you, spriest and 3 others who need the spriest -- that is the easiest solution.

For 10 man's you are sticking the dps in one group and healers/tanks in the other. Mana tide is free if you have a resto shammie, so ask him if he can keep using it on cooldown.
25's however, if you are not getting enough mana back from heals, you far outgear that place and you should consider droping a few pieces of gear or warn that you might get crushed for mana gains.
Seloei

Postby Levantine » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:03 am

Robin de tolens wrote:
Aloette wrote:Other than that, you generally have to suck it up and drink every 4-8 pulls. I can usually go about 6 pulls on average without having to drink, and even then, it takes only 10-15 seconds. I usually have to drink no more than the casters or healers in my group, so I just micromanage my mana so that I end up having to drink at the same time as them.

Drink less than a priest? We don't even drink at all. The time you take to drink and engage next pull, we're full mana :D

QUOTED FOR TRUTH!

Seriously, I haven't had to drink unless I'm soloing, since I specced Holy.

Crap talk about off topic.
Levantine

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents