If only...

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

If only...

Postby thewarphrog » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:07 am

I am a sucker for hybrids. My two 70's are a druid and paladin, and I love the aspect of hybrids. and not to sound like I have an ego or anything, but I'm one of the few that understands and uses everything about a hybrid. I may not have ANY points in holy right now, but I heal if it will keep people alive, even if I am completely oom after 4 Holy Lights.

From the time I started this char (and the several human paladins before expansion), I have spent tons of gold going back and forth from prot to holy, a short amount of time as ret, the 0/40/21 tanking build, even Shockadin 40/0/21. I loved every build I have tried. Only thing I've never done is full Ret, now that I'm 70. I want to try it for a bit, it seems fun, and they offer so much more usefullness than most other DPSers. I would most likely go with the 5/8/48 PvE build. Or maybe 5/0/56. Either way I want to try it some day. Problem is...

Both my characters are tanks. I got stuck tanking on my druid (my first 70), because I was good at it. Everyone told me how good of a tank I was, all the time. I would try to go balance or something, then a tank was needed and I was the only one on all the time. And every time I joined a group as feral DPS, the tank totally sucked, even if he was in eppics, and I would take over as tank for the rest of the instance. There were MAYBE a total of 2 times that I joined as DPS, and stayed DPS the whole time.

Now I'm prot on my pally, and loving it more than my druid because it is just so much funner and could do things I never could as a druid. but if I go Ret, I can already see what will happen. We will never be able to find a tank for an instance; if we do, he will most likely really suck; hence, won't get groups as fast, won't get gear as fast, won't get anywhere without lots of unneeded pain.

Maybe my healer friend and I need to switch to a server that doesn't totally suck or something...
Never try, never fail. If you succeed, you didn't set your goals high enough. Set low standards and you'll never be disappointed. - Optimism for the optimistic
thewarphrog

Postby Kitria » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:50 am

Well, if you go ret you still have a tanking druid available to you when your friends need you to tank right? Ret can be a lot of fun, especially once you've got decent gear for it so I'd say at least give it a try.
Kitria

Postby thewarphrog » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:29 pm

Ya, I have switched to him a few times to tank things for friends because he is far better geared at the moment. But I don't enjoy my druid much anymore. There are tons of times I could easily tank anything on my druid, I just simply don't want to. I want to progress my druid. And even if I did use my druid to tank, it is still the same problem. I can't tank an instance with my druid, FOR my pally, so either way my pally still wouldn't progress due to lack of other tanks and such. I'll hopefully try it somebody, I just doubt it. Lol
Never try, never fail. If you succeed, you didn't set your goals high enough. Set low standards and you'll never be disappointed. - Optimism for the optimistic
thewarphrog

Postby Kitria » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:23 pm

If you want to play a ret paladin, not even your friends can dictate how you decide to play. I'd just stick with ret as long as you want to and if your friends want a tank, tell them you're ret spec'd and would prefer to remain that way for now. They may not enjoy not having a pocket tank, but in the end it's your choice how to play and they should respect that.
Kitria

Postby thewarphrog » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:33 pm

I believe there was a mixup and I just didn't describe exactly what I meant.

If I wanted to go Ret, I would without hesitation. I don't because of my own reasons. I go into an instance as DPS, and the tank absolutely sucks, and I know I could easily do a muuuch better job at it. I don't go Ret because it is shameful to see how bad some tanks suck.

And even if there were good ones, they are all taken because they are good. Lol. We would hatrrtve a group ready to go for anything, but no tank, and we'll sit in LFG for hours trying to find a tank, only to realize the tank we tried so desperately to find doesn't know what he's doing and causes a total wipefest.

Thaaat is why I am not Ret. =)
thewarphrog

Postby Wyleai » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:04 pm

Maybe what you should do is stay Prot on your paladin and change your druid to balance or resto depending on preference.

That way you can find something new to do with the druid, keeping interest in it, and tank with the toon who's tanking style you prefer.
Wyleai

Postby Arjuna » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:14 am

http://www.maxdps.com/paladin/dps.php

good page for checking what gear to aim for as a retri pally...

I went retri the other day and totally pwnd the rest in damage, hehe :P
Arjuna

Postby Aleriya » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:03 pm

A 0/20/41 build can tank respectably well :) You do need to outgear heroics a bit if you plan to tank those, but with badge gear and whatnot that's a pretty viable option - perhaps a long-term goal.
Aleriya

Postby thewarphrog » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:53 pm

Ya, that's the thing though. It's not that I want to be able to do DPS while still tank when needed. Nothing like that, or there are plenty of ways I easily could. I simply want to rest out a FULL Ret build some day, complete DPS oriented, no tanking whatsoever in gear or spec. Only reason I dooont, is because there aren't enough tanks, and the few there are, totally suck. So even if I wanted to do heroics/raids as Ret, I couldnt get groups to get into all that.

See what I'm saying? Not a big deal, I'm happy as a Tankadin. But lately, I cant even get groups like that. =/
thewarphrog

Postby Maithanet » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:27 am

There's a lot better PuG tanks out there than you may think. Back on Aggramar all my PuGs were an excellent experience, then I came to Twisting Nether and it well..... Wasn't as good. I was a Warrior though, so I ended up speccing tank.

A year or so of Molten Core et al later and I was MS. But by then I'd ran enough groups to know very viable tanks in their own right. Even good people PuG sometimes.

Just go spec Ret. Worry about the tank at a later point. If your tank ends up sucking just have sword and board ready for if you need to tank. If you don't enjoy it spec back. As you can't get groups anyway, what does it matter? >_>
ImageImage
Maithanet

Postby thewarphrog » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:51 am

Toushe >.> or however you spell it. Lol
thewarphrog

Return to Basic Training & Talents