Remove Advertisements

Tanking stats levels 60 to 69

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Postby Malthorn » Thu May 29, 2008 4:31 am

I'm at lvl 62 now and have done a few Ramps and BF runs. With close to 9k hp the runs get really easy. The main thing to do is to check if you can trust your healer at the beginning of the run.

My last two runs in Ramps I pulled two groups at the same time the whole instance (except the group of 3 casters in the beginning). Had nice healers both times no problems.
Malthorn

Postby Meatydog » Thu May 29, 2008 11:30 pm

Im a 69 and havent really understood how to become the "ultimate" tank.

I always looked for advice on the server but talking to a friend of mine he says that its all wrong.
I have stacked my stam up and right now unbuffed its around 9k.
Is that norm? or below standards?

Im really disappointed that my SD is at 65... which learning from my friend is unacceptable. He mentioned something about a Crystalforged sword and that with the +40 SD enchant should boost me up to 250 or somewhere around that.

One of my issues is my mana isnt all that high, which makes it hard to solo. its like stop and go stop and go. Take on 2 or 3 mobs and then stop. and its annoying when i need to kill 30 of the things.

When tanking my mana stays pretty decent unless someone aggros more mobs than what i want. But most the time we can fix the problem unless they hit the healer.
My sequence is Avengers Shield(which i hear doesnt break CC anymore), when they get close enough i hit concecrate, then Holy shield, then my seal. I use the seal of vengance cause it does awesome damage constantly when my consecrate fades or my holy shield fades.

Most my gear isnt pally speccd i dont think cause most of its for stam, and crit strike, and att power.

Im curious about what gems i need to put in my gear also. Right now i have the gems that give +8 ap, and +6 stam.
I dont remember what my meta gem is off the top.

I read through most of this topic and got the drift that SD is something i need to focus on. But other than that i got kinda lost. This also is my main char so Im still kinda noob at this stuff.

One last thing, how can i keep a fire mage from pulling aggro from me. everytime i run with him hes yankin my aggro. even though he is hitting ridiculous.
Meatydog

Postby Malthorn » Fri May 30, 2008 6:21 am

Meatydog wrote:Im a 69 and havent really understood how to become the "ultimate" tank.

I have stacked my stam up and right now unbuffed its around 9k.
Is that norm? or below standards?

At 69 you have 9k unbuffed? I have 8.2k at 62... I'd think you'd be able to get a bit more?
Malthorn

Postby Playdoh » Fri May 30, 2008 6:44 am

I am new here to, but I leveled as a Prot Pally.

I liked the strategy that avoidance was better than big crit dmg.

As a tank I felt like I should be the punching bag, so I stacked avoidance.
I was uncrittable and uncrushable and had 12.5 K health unbuffed and tanked the bear boss in ZA.
At the time I only had ~300 spell dmg and 5K mana.
My weapon has always been the best sorce of my SD.

the gavel of unearthed secrets from lower city rep.
the continuum blade from CoT.
the mace out of heroic mgt terrace is what I am using now.

I played with the suneater but didn't like it.

And the more things that can hit me the better off I am. No lack of mana if I have to be healed.

So I feel while stam isn't the only thing that we have to look out for, crit and ap isn't near the tops of my lists.
I go for mitigation/avoidance
then stam
Then a toss up between SD and spell hit, I like using SoR more than SoV but that's I feel is a matter of opinion and big debate.

Retribution aura, Sanctuary blessing
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby Katerina » Sat May 31, 2008 10:10 pm

My tankadin is rather little yet (Level 62), so cannot yet use flasks. I've been running ramps with fort and agi elixirs, but was wondering if perhaps there might be better options? Is the little bit of armor and dodge worth the elixir?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Katerina

Postby Meatydog » Sat May 31, 2008 10:13 pm

We shouldnt have to gear for crit strike and attack power.

In my opinion we are there as like playdoh said, a punching bag.

We hold the aggro and the dps kill.
I talked to a friend of mine that has a 70 prot pally and we was going over my stats. He said i was speccd like a ret pally but had the prot tree going.
Which made sense why i couldnt hold aggro.

I redid a few things yesterday, regemmed some things with defense rating, ran Durnholde and held aggro like a champ. Only 142 def rating. The only downfall is we had a 70 ice mage and a 67 lock with us and they would attack before they oculd hit me and i could get my threat up. so i was constantly hitting the righteous defense to pull aggro back on me.
Then the last boss was a pain. we wiped 2 times. cause the mage wouldnt stop attacking first. once we talked the mage into not attacking until the boss hit me a couple times we was golden.

Thanks to this forum and my friend i finally have my pally on the right track to becoming an uncrushable. Eventually. Gotta get revered with Keepers of time though so i can get their gear outta there. Im wanting it to be a chain of event type thing. Im still 69 and trying tp put off 70 till i get revered so once i leave the instance i can drop by and gear up. And Id be set for a few good runs elsewhere.
Meatydog

Postby Peryl » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:45 am

Meatydog wrote:We shouldnt have to gear for crit strike and attack power.

In my opinion we are there as like playdoh said, a punching bag.

We hold the aggro and the dps kill.
I talked to a friend of mine that has a 70 prot pally and we was going over my stats. He said i was speccd like a ret pally but had the prot tree going.
Which made sense why i couldnt hold aggro.

I redid a few things yesterday, regemmed some things with defense rating, ran Durnholde and held aggro like a champ. Only 142 def rating. The only downfall is we had a 70 ice mage and a 67 lock with us and they would attack before they oculd hit me and i could get my threat up. so i was constantly hitting the righteous defense to pull aggro back on me.
Then the last boss was a pain. we wiped 2 times. cause the mage wouldnt stop attacking first. once we talked the mage into not attacking until the boss hit me a couple times we was golden.

Thanks to this forum and my friend i finally have my pally on the right track to becoming an uncrushable. Eventually. Gotta get revered with Keepers of time though so i can get their gear outta there. Im wanting it to be a chain of event type thing. Im still 69 and trying tp put off 70 till i get revered so once i leave the instance i can drop by and gear up. And Id be set for a few good runs elsewhere.

It sounds like you are getting things turned around, but if you want some suggestions please post your armory link. 9k HP at 69 is low, I'm currently also 69 and have around 10k unbuffed. Of course, I'm an Eng and have the goggles....maybe it's not that bad. Anyway, at 70 a lot of items will open up to you to improve your stats. You can check the gear thread to see what instances you can run and what items will help you.

Getting KoT revered is great. Sounds like you got through durn fine. Yes, sometimes ya gotta tell your crew to back off a little and let you get aggro.
Peryl
70 Tankadin
Muradin
Peryl

Postby Peryl » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:48 am

Katerina wrote:My tankadin is rather little yet (Level 62), so cannot yet use flasks. I've been running ramps with fort and agi elixirs, but was wondering if perhaps there might be better options? Is the little bit of armor and dodge worth the elixir?

Kat, at 62 you should be OK to run ramps without elixirs. I never used anything but maybe a scroll, food buff, and wizard oil. Of course if they are working for you, go for it. They seem quite expensive on my server so I don't use them.

However, let me give a plug to Diocaskas's guide http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... php?t=9003

What I found more useful was to collect some resitance gear/potions for some of the specific boss fights (Fire resist for the dragon for example).
Peryl
70 Tankadin
Muradin
Peryl

Postby caboom » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:14 am

i am having no problem tanking BRD with 59is spell dmg, having a 180 spell dmg affliction lock as a dps, i specifically asked him to try take agro on bosses and he tried his best but couldn't(note : he had salvation on) so i'm guessing u need something around 70-80 spell dmg for lvl62.

i have a small question i'd like to ask, pre 70 what is more important armor or defense rating, i was stuck between chosing 2 helms last night, one had more def rating and the other more armor.
caboom

Postby Malthorn » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:44 am

Katerina wrote:My tankadin is rather little yet (Level 62), so cannot yet use flasks. I've been running ramps with fort and agi elixirs, but was wondering if perhaps there might be better options? Is the little bit of armor and dodge worth the elixir?

Ran Ramps and BF the whole weekend, constantly using elixirs, scrolls and buff food. Made running them even easier than usual. Funniest thing is that I keep ending up on top of all the damage meters.

If you run with a new group test 'm at the beginning of the run. Pull a bigger group than they're used to with warriors. If they handle it constantly pull big groups and you'll get through Ramps and BF really fast. Pulling 2 full groups in Ramps at 62 should be cake. Just be sure to mark the casters and tell everyone what the marks mean.

Now moving on to Slave Pens I guess.
Malthorn

Postby Jobalq » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:58 am

Malthorn wrote:I'm at lvl 62 now and have done a few Ramps and BF runs. With close to 9k hp the runs get really easy. The main thing to do is to check if you can trust your healer at the beginning of the run.

My last two runs in Ramps I pulled two groups at the same time the whole instance (except the group of 3 casters in the beginning). Had nice healers both times no problems.

I just hit 60 and im about 5.4k health. abd 9k hp looks nice to tank anything in HFP.

Can not see the Armory from work.

Could you link the gear you are using?
"Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword". - Joanadark.
Jobalq

Postby Malthorn » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:59 am

Jobalq wrote:I just hit 60 and im about 5.4k health. abd 9k hp looks nice to tank anything in HFP.

Can not see the Armory from work.

Could you link the gear you are using?

Swapped out some gear so my HP actually lowered a bit, but ran SP and it didn't seem an issue. Here's my link.
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Agamaggan&n=malthorn

And I came across another tip for people doing lvl 60-69 instances. Explain to any mage in your group that he can do aoe attacks if he wants, but not 1 second after you put down cons. DPS people can do whatever they want if they run with me as long as they give me a little time and don't cc.
Malthorn

Postby Meatydog » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:52 pm

Peryl wrote:It sounds like you are getting things turned around, but if you want some suggestions please post your armory link.

Id love to post my arm link here, but i cant get to the armory to post the link.
I know its a set back but all i can do is give ya my char name and the server i play on.
Work has a ton o stuff blocked so cant get to the armory.

My characters name is:
Meatydog
Server:
Darkspear

Any adive would be great to get better geared and set up for better runs.
Meatydog

Postby Peryl » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:26 am

Meatydog wrote:
Peryl wrote:It sounds like you are getting things turned around, but if you want some suggestions please post your armory link.

Id love to post my arm link here, but i cant get to the armory to post the link.
I know its a set back but all i can do is give ya my char name and the server i play on.
Work has a ton o stuff blocked so cant get to the armory.

My characters name is:
Meatydog
Server:
Darkspear

Any adive would be great to get better geared and set up for better runs.

NP, I know armory is funny. Here ya go:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Meatydog

Check out the gear sticky and forum for items to hit. One thing I notice is your trinkets are not really useful. You might have logged in questing gear. Spell Crit / attack power doesn't do much for us. Check out some of the trinkets in the gear forum and go grab them (if you haven't already).

Run Durn/BM for rep.
Peryl
70 Tankadin
Muradin
Peryl

Postby Meatydog » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:28 pm

Peryl wrote:NP, I know armory is funny. Here ya go:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Meatydog

Check out the gear sticky and forum for items to hit. One thing I notice is your trinkets are not really useful. You might have logged in questing gear. Spell Crit / attack power doesn't do much for us. Check out some of the trinkets in the gear forum and go grab them (if you haven't already).

Run Durn/BM for rep.

Thank you for posting my link.
And yes, my trinkets are pretty poopy right now. Been doing dailies and such trying to get better defense rating for now.
Since this is AV weekend Im just gonna grind till i pass out and get the mace from there and add +40 SD to it.
I was questing earlier today and was +2% uncrushable. My unbuffed defense is 456. ANd im waiting on the funds to throw out some useless gems, get the felsteel set, and hunt down some good trinkets.
A friend of mine looked at my gear last night and compared it to his 70 tank, and now i have a really awesome idea of what to shoot for and where to find it type things.
I just upgraded my chest to an armorsmiths gear.
All i really need now to be a heroic tank is a little more defense( coming this weekend along with more stam), and a high SD weap. Then ill be set to rule the world haha. ok maybe not the world but somethings.

Really aprreciate everyones help on this. Im gonna be up to snuff in no time. Just gotta do tons of dailies to get me pot o gold.

Thank you again.
Meatydog

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents