Tanking stats levels 60 to 69

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Postby DarkFerret » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:26 pm

I think the question really boils down to "of the Champion" or "of the Sorcerer" gear. Which do I want for tanking instances while leveling in Outlands? Which one should I be searching the AH for to fill my gear gaps? Is Defense or Spell Damage more important, since before the late 60s it's a bit rare to see both on the same piece.
DarkFerret

Postby Lookit » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:44 pm

DarkFerret wrote:I think the question really boils down to "of the Champion" or "of the Sorcerer" gear. Which do I want for tanking instances while leveling in Outlands? Which one should I be searching the AH for to fill my gear gaps? Is Defense or Spell Damage more important, since before the late 60s it's a bit rare to see both on the same piece.

A balance of both is best. Really, before 70 it doesn't matter much. Get a spell damage weapon, focus on stamina and defense, get one or two extra pieces with some spell damage at the most, and you will be set.

When you ding 70, get a Crystalforged Sword and slap 40 spell damage on it. That should be all the spell damage you need for a while, so then focus on defense, stamina, and avoidance for heroics. Once you start running Kara, worry about uncrushability.
Lookit

Postby Ciandin » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:28 am

If you have the option of both, buy both. You'll start learning early that gear is situational :-)
Fighting over the internet is like the special olympics... even if you win, you're still retarded.
Ciandin

Postby Mavverik » Tue May 20, 2008 11:27 am

Should I be able to tank Ramparts with these stats? I tried twice so far but I find myself going OOM really fast...

Never tanked on this toon before, I had a lvl 65 pally on another server but I was prot since day one so I had better gear when I started outland.
Mavverik

Postby Cearn » Tue May 20, 2008 11:52 am

you should be able to tank sp and bf with that gear. quagmirran might be a bit hard due to crushs, but it should be doable.

running oom means you don't get healed enough (aka, don't get enough damage). try to downrank holy shield and consecration or pull more than one group at once.

plus: you can still get the maraudon trinket - I used up to my 70s...
Cearn

Postby Peryl » Tue May 20, 2008 8:56 pm

Mavverik wrote:Should I be able to tank Ramparts with these stats? I tried twice so far but I find myself going OOM really fast...

Never tanked on this toon before, I had a lvl 65 pally on another server but I was prot since day one so I had better gear when I started outland.

One of your trinkets is good, try picking up http://www.wowwiki.com/Charm_of_Alacrity

I still use it at 66 and it's really helped when I'm getting pounded on.

Buy some fire/shadow/nature resist gear. Those help a lot with the boss battles, especially the dragon in ramps, and the demon.

Other than that, you may want to stack more pure stam vs. stam + defense rating. A lot of the battles are more than physical damage and you don't have to be uncrushable for normal 5 mans.

If you are going OOM, try downranking consecration or stack a little more int if your seem to be holding up well enough in health. Also you can consider adding Benediction to your talents.
Peryl
70 Tankadin
Muradin
Peryl

Postby Shoju » Wed May 21, 2008 12:09 pm

I have an AoE set, and a Prot set. I put the tanking set together when I was 67, and it was time to tank RoB. I have tanked in both an AoE set with 600-700 Spell Damage and the Petrified Lichen, and I have Tanked with 483 defense 86% avoidance. Honestly, I do just fine with the SD set tanking normal trash through 66-69 level content. Tanking some of the bosses does require tank gear or a REALLY good healer. Bosses I 'needed' tank gear to down:

Epoch Hunter (Durnholde) He was hitting me REALLY hard.
Exarch Maladar (Crypts) - He has a spawn and the first time we tried it, I was still in AoE gear. Got Maladar down, but wiped on the ghost guy. I hopped into tank gear and he was down supa quick.

good stuff to have? ...of the Sorcerer. I use it to quest in almost exclusively. Sta, Int, and SD are awesome. I also have my mace enchanted with 40 SD.
Shoju

Postby Tangolino » Wed May 28, 2008 9:26 am

So, after leveling ret to 60 I`m finally getting some tanking action. I looked for some "of the champion" greens on the Ah, did some initial quests in HP to get upgrades and saw a big improvement in my tanking. One thing bother me though and I'd like some opinions on it.

My mana doesn't last! :( Consecration (max rank) eats something like 20%-25% of my mana, add keeping holy shield and seal up, I go oom very fast. Does it improve only with gear and next rank of spiritual attunement? Should I downrank consecration/holy shield? Anything I can do to make it better? Before I QQ about mana costs, I actually wanted to know if things do get better hehehe.
Many thanks
Tangolino

Postby Kathane » Wed May 28, 2008 9:42 am

Tangolino wrote:My mana doesn't last! :( Consecration (max rank) eats something like 20%-25% of my mana, add keeping holy shield and seal up, I go oom very fast. Does it improve only with gear and next rank of spiritual attunement? Should I downrank consecration/holy shield? Anything I can do to make it better? Before I QQ about mana costs, I actually wanted to know if things do get better hehehe.
Many thanks

Are you using Seal/Judgement of Wisdom? "Of the Champion" is great for straight up instance/group quest tanking, when you're getting dedicated heals to keep your mana supply up, but for solo work and grinding, "of the Sorcerer" is the way to go. Spell Damage, Stamina and Int > Strength, Stamina and Agility in those situations.
"What's the kill order?"
"This room, the next room, the hallway, and then the boss."
*throws shield*

Kathane

Postby Jobalq » Wed May 28, 2008 11:33 am

I think this link can help too:

How a prot pally should get to 70
http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... php?t=8859

Pre-raid Shields

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... php?t=9187
"Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword". - Joanadark.
Jobalq

Postby Tangolino » Wed May 28, 2008 11:54 am

I thought I was supposed to keep righteousness up for threat, will try wisdom then. I'll lose a lot of threat downranking right?

I read the links, they don't talk about mana management. I know what gear I should get leveling up and to become uncrushable when 70.
Tangolino

Postby Shoju » Wed May 28, 2008 12:41 pm

judge light/wisdom and then run righteousness. You can judge righteousness over top of light or wisdom and they stay on the target because righteousness doesn't stick to the target it's just damage. I led off with Avenger's Shield so that I could seal up and judge wisdom or light right away and then move on to righteousness. If you find your self going OOM flip to 1 lower rank of consc.

Get the blue spell damage trinket from hellfire ramparts. the tanking trinket isn't going to last at 70, but the spell damage trinket will still be good for trash pulls when you dont need to be maxed on def and avoidance, and for grinding away while not instance running.
Shoju

Postby Tangolino » Wed May 28, 2008 1:11 pm

Thanks for the tips, will try. I was understanding that I needed to judge and keep wisdom up. Just judging will help I think. Thanks, will come back to tell how it went.
Tangolino

Postby Kathane » Wed May 28, 2008 2:27 pm

Tangolino wrote:Thanks for the tips, will try. I was understanding that I needed to judge and keep wisdom up. Just judging will help I think. Thanks, will come back to tell how it went.

If you're tanking an instance or a group quest, yes. If you're soloing, threat means nothing. You're the only target. They all hate you :D

Unless you're trying to prevent someone else from pulling aggro off of you, all righteousness does is kill the mob a bit quicker, and burn more mana. A prot pally's strength is not their ability to kill one mob, it's the ability to kill 8 in the time it would take them to kill 2 singly. To do that, you need to stay alive and mana stocked. Seal and Judgements of Light and Wisdom are your friend. In HFP, (and even now) here's my basic pull scheme:

BoSanc, RF and Ret Aura

Target mob
Mounted pull (Try to plot your route before hand and round up mobs in a circular path, so you don't leash them)
Once you have all the mobs you want, move to the center of your circle and seal light (dismounting you).
Consecrate, max rank. (to prevent leashing/kill stealing. Reflected damage doesn't tag mobs)
Judge light
Holy Shield
Seal wisdom
Holy shield every time it's off cooldown.
Once initial mob is at about 40%, tab target to mob with highest health, judge wisdom, seal whatever you need, typically light.
Throw a consecrate in whenever you're solid on mana, or the majority of the mobs are at 10-15% health.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

95% of the time I never touch righteousness outside of instances/group quests. And in corollary, 95% of the time, I'm fighting multi-mob pulls. :lol:

Edit: I R Speel Gud
"What's the kill order?"
"This room, the next room, the hallway, and then the boss."
*throws shield*

Kathane

Postby Shoju » Wed May 28, 2008 8:21 pm

Kathane wrote:
Tangolino wrote:Thanks for the tips, will try. I was understanding that I needed to judge and keep wisdom up. Just judging will help I think. Thanks, will come back to tell how it went.

If you're tanking an instance or a group quest, yes. If you're soloing, threat means nothing. You're the only target. They all hate you :D

Unless you're trying to prevent someone else from pulling aggro off of you, all righteousness does is kill the mob a bit quicker, and burn more mana. A prot pally's strength is not their ability to kill one mob, it's the ability to kill 8 in the time it would take them to kill 2 singly. To do that, you need to stay alive and mana stocked. Seal and Judgements of Light and Wisdom are your friend. In HFP, (and even now) here's my basic pull scheme:

BoSanc, RF and Ret Aura

Target mob
Mounted pull (Try to plot your route before hand and round up mobs in a circular path, so you don't leash them)
Once you have all the mobs you want, move to the center of your circle and seal light (dismounting you).
Consecrate, max rank. (to prevent leashing/kill stealing. Reflected damage doesn't tag mobs)
Judge light
Holy Shield
Seal wisdom
Holy shield every time it's off cooldown.
Once initial mob is at about 40%, tab target to mob with highest health, judge wisdom, seal whatever you need, typically light.
Throw a consecrate in whenever you're solid on mana, or the majority of the mobs are at 10-15% health.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

95% of the time I never touch righteousness outside of instances/group quests. And in corollary, 95% of the time, I'm fighting multi-mob pulls. :lol:

Edit: I R Speel Gud

This. THis is how you AoE Grind. This is how you level as prot. If you need a more 'baseline' number to go by on the health than 40%, I normally switch to targeting the next mob at no less than 1k health, and I stock consumables (pots, food) as my main is a alch and cook. Crunchy wind serpent (or the fish that buffs spell damage) and mana pots are awesome. IF you stack these, you can afford to consecrate more often. I ALWAYS consecrate, and love it if more mobs join in the fray, but really, it's all about personal style. I don't worry about my health until it gets red (I have a nifty color color changing health bar, I don't know if it's a mod or not) which is about 20%. IF I dip to 20% I will run light, and have light judged for a while, by this point in a pull, I should be healing more than what I'm taking.

Make sure that at 70 you have an AoE set as well. My buddy and I both have 70 pallies. I have an AoE set, and he just has a tank set. (he didn't think he would need the AoE set at 70). AoE-ing through your dailies and quests that you want to do is far better than running around like a bad warrior because you aren't getting the dedicated heals to keep your interest bar full. (that's what some pallies call the mana bar LOL). I went kinda extravagant on my AoE set, and bought some nice pieces. I logged in it if you wanna check it out. (the blue pvp stuff was from a pvp experiement dont mind it.)
Shoju

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents