Remove Advertisements

My guild wants me to heal and tank trash

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Postby Baelor » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:56 am

Byzant wrote:Atm im gonna drop the holy tree, my healing gear is mostly mp5.... Anyway, whats up with this pre-tbc palatank attitude that many guilds have, looks like I have to ninjatank myself a boss o_o to get their attention. Cba being stuck tanking morogrim's murlocs for the rest of my life.

A pre-BC pally-tank attitude would be this:

Tank? Lol, shut up and heal.

A close-minded expansion attitude would be this:
Main tank? Lol, shut up and heal.

Subtle difference.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Wyleai » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:05 pm

Shalindreal wrote:Yeah, i had a holy paladin in my guild recommend doing this because he doesn't know dick about tanking. Basically i broke it down for him like this, I can either stay the way i am and be at my best for the trash and w/e else i'm asked to tank, or i can gimp myself for my primary role as a tank just so i can be a gimped ass healer as well.

A crude way of saying it there, but yeah...

Just because paladin is a hybrid class doesn't mean any one toon can be a good hybrid. What it really means is you roll a paladin, and then pick what role you will fill. You can change it without making a new toon, but not on the fly.

Your either a tank or a healer or a DPS, but you're not going to be 2 or 3 of them at the same time.

Shamans are the only class that essentially hybrids everything at the same time, and they do it by being Off-X in everything. Your shaman can 'fill in on the fly' for any role who's main member drops in mid fight, but it's not a great filling it, more like patching a tire with a band aid and driving carefully.

I've had to point this out to people with my druid a number of times. "Why don't you just go farm this or that?" "Cause I'm so deeply specced into healspam that a level 1 priest does more DPS than me."

If you try to specc and gear to be able to fill two roles at the same time, you will more than likely be poor at both. At best, you'll be semi-good at one, and poor at the other.
Wyleai

Postby Murbella » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:08 pm

It isn't worth it, go tank spec and just offheal when needed, as prot. Just make sure you get gear that focuses on +healing and mp5 and not crit because crit isn't nearly as good without illumination. That is really all there is to it. blizzard graced us by making most of the new badge rewards horrible for us, so use those badges to pick up a good healing set.

oh and the biggest thing you give up by not being holy is sustainability, so if you're healing, do bring a bunch of mana potions.

Having good healing gear is extremely effective in my opinion because there are many situations when you just need one tank, and a prot paladin healing is almost always better than a prot warrior dpsing.
Murbella

Postby Tonirae » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:10 am

Wyleai wrote:
Shalindreal wrote:Yeah, i had a holy paladin in my guild recommend doing this because he doesn't know dick about tanking. Basically i broke it down for him like this, I can either stay the way i am and be at my best for the trash and w/e else i'm asked to tank, or i can gimp myself for my primary role as a tank just so i can be a gimped ass healer as well.

A crude way of saying it there, but yeah...

Just because paladin is a hybrid class doesn't mean any one toon can be a good hybrid. What it really means is you roll a paladin, and then pick what role you will fill. You can change it without making a new toon, but not on the fly.

Your either a tank or a healer or a DPS, but you're not going to be 2 or 3 of them at the same time.

I have two paladins (I'm linking ArmoryLite because I can't go to the WoWArmory at work)
Tonirae - 0/46/15 http://armorylite.com/us/Dethecus/Tonirae
Maritza - 28/33/0 http://armorylite.com/us/Dethecus/Maritza (might be in healing gear atm)

Tonirae is my main character, her spec is my favorite.

Maritza was supposed to be my healer, but I couldn't get groups to take me! Every time someone messaged me, they were like "are you a tank?" Kinda silly to spec her full prot, since I already have one of those, so I'm trying out this 28/33/0 hybrid spec. I've successfully tanked Heroic Shadow Labs, Heroic Magister's Terrace, Heroic Steam Vaults, Heroic Mech, Karazhan Trash and ZA trash/Bear Boss. I've successfully healed Heroic Steam Vaults, Heroic Mech, Karazhan (two healers) and ZA (3 healers).

Granted I've never played any other kind of tank, I dunno really what class I could compare my experience with, so I'll go with this: When I heal a warrior tank - we mark everything up, CC what we can and then have a specific kill order.

On Maritza, that is how I tank. My threat has been surprisingly fine w/o Avenger's Shield. (Decapitator ftw for pulling) I do, however, have to work a lot harder at keeping things off the dps because they tend to break CC before I do. As long as they dps in the proper order, I'm fine though. If I'm running low on mana for certain instances, I just tank more.
"wtf, why do you have two paladins?!" - almost everyone I meet
Tonirae

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents