Remove Advertisements

Target Rotation

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Target Rotation

Postby Serrot » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:58 am

Gestalt's tanking guide wrote:Putting it together: A typical pull
1. Prep Seal of Righteousness
2. Avenger's Shield, break line of sight/ have other players counter if the pull involves casters.
2a. If CC is necessary (and it usually won't be), apply it after the AS pull.
3. Judgement of Righteousness on the first kill target.
4. Consecrate, Holy Shield, up a Seal, in this order (to insure timers are appropriately staggered).
4a. If more threat is needed, Seal of Righteousness
4b. For more threat on a longer fight, Seal of the Crusader (Judged immediately, then up another seal).
4c. If more mitigation is needed, Seal of Light (Judged immediately, then up another seal).
4d. If the mobs are runners, Seal of Justice (judged, up another).
4e. If it's going to be a long fight, Seal of Wisdom (Judged, up another).
5. Keep Consecrate and Holy Shield up, rotating seals and Judgements as necessary. Try to maintain active judgements on as many targets as possible, rotating weapon swings between judged targets to maintain them.
6. Throughout the fight try to move your targets a little bit as they die. It can be difficult to loot 12 corpses stacked directly on top of each other.

Do people really rotate targets as suggested by # 5 above? Traditionally, I have my group attack a particular mob (say skull) and let my AOE hold the other ones until their number is called. Do people find rotation useful/necessary?
Serrot

Postby Alixander » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:11 am

This could be a good strat when fighting multiple mobs that need to die at the same time, and you don't have enough off-tanks, but otherwise it's better to focus on a single target, burn that one down, while using Consecration to hold aggro I would imagine.

Maybe things are different in raids, and you really need to do this to hold the mobs to you lest they aggro the healers, but I can't say for certain...
Alixander

Postby Minn » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:15 pm

I typically stick to one target until I feel I have a comfortable lead on aggro, then build some extra hate on other targets. Sometimes I switch off quickly, due to an early spike like a crit JoR or an early Reckoning proc. Other times I'll stay on the main target longer. By switching before the damage dealers finish one mob, I get a chance to build more aggro without spamming top rank consecrate.
Minn

Postby ulushnar » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:37 am

I normally switch targets when the mob I'm tanking's below 20% to build a further lead on the next target before DPS switches.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Downpour » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:15 am

Generally I'm the same, depends on the target though, some need holding until they're good and dead.
One major difference for me is that i always HS before the pull (or while i'm running in to meet it or it's snared coming to me). I don't fancy the idea of JoR (so you're basically in melee range) and Cons before getting that shield up. A lot can happen in the first 3s of a fight. Admittedly, this does tend to create a non-optimal cooldown cycle, but there's plenty of time to get that synced 25-30s in.

Also, step #6 isn't required now :D
Downpour

Postby Tetja » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:52 pm

I like to do HS early too - but usually just after I've thrown my shield. For me it's:

Seal of Righteousness
Avenger's Shield
Holy Shield
Consecrate
Judge Righteousness

Maybe a tick or two of Consecrate are wasted, as well as many seconds of Holy Shield, but with my current crappy avoidance/crushability, I get nervous if HS isn't up at all times.
Tetja

Postby Jaydin » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:09 am

Tetja wrote:I like to do HS early too - but usually just after I've thrown my shield. For me it's:

Seal of Righteousness
Avenger's Shield
Holy Shield
Consecrate
Judge Righteousness

Maybe a tick or two of Consecrate are wasted, as well as many seconds of Holy Shield, but with my current crappy avoidance/crushability, I get nervous if HS isn't up at all times.

similar here

SoR
AS
HS
judge/SoR
<maneuver if needed for cc>
consecrate
rinse repeat
gg
Jaydin

Return to Basic Training & Talents