Remove Advertisements

more aggro questions, and prot tanking issues...

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

more aggro questions, and prot tanking issues...

Postby halabar » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:37 am

Howdy all.

I'm a 62 prot pally, and I have aggro issues.. :D

Aggro issue: Since I am still leveling, (and since most of my guild members haven't dinged 70 yet), I am called on occasionally to tank instances. I'm having lots of problems with holding aggro. One of the problems is that there are often higher-level guildies with me in the group, so a mage or rogue or lvl 70 healer is pulling aggro from me. Is there any way around that problem?.. (There is also the other issue of their opening up with their nukes, but I know about that). The second problem is probably with lower level toons that are pulling agro simply by tagging along for the XP.

Any advice?..

(I saw a lot in the other aggro thread that might help. I'll try the GBoS on the rest of the party next time, and see how that works).

Gear questions:

1) When I am acting as a pure healer if I'm along for the ride with a bunch of higher lvls, is it better to gear with something that has +69 healing or something with +18 healing and +3 MP5?.. (I've got a full set of gear with just +healing, but I wonder if I would be better off with lower + healing and have the MP5 instead?)

2) Choice of breastplate: The light-touched breastplate finally dropped from the first ramparts boss, so now I have 4 breastplate, and I want to vendor at least 1. I also have the breastplate of blade-turning, and the 2 blues that are early quest rewards. One has the highest +healing/damage, so that should be the easy choice for AOE/healing, but I'm not sure which other I should use for tanking. Also, for the light-touched breastplate, which gems should I get?..

(From the wisdom here on the breastplate, then I should be able to figure out what to do with the rest of my gear)

Spec question: While I am prot now for the leveling, and acting in dual-roles, I am wondering what spec I should aim too?.. Note: I will never do heavy raiding, Heroics is where my pally will most likely be spending his glory years. My guild doesn't have a lot of tanks, but there are a few. There are a handful of paladins in the same boat as me, so we could go healing or tanking. I'd like to go Ret, but I'm wondering if staying prot might be better for non-raiding?

Thanks for any help!!! (and I really need to figure out which of those breastplates to keep.... :D
halabar

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:46 am

I levelled up Ulu whilst most of my guildmates and friends were already 70. Where possible, when getting help, I asked if people could bring alts within a few levels of his, since I wanted to actually learn to tank propery.

There's a few things you can do:

1. Use Greater Blessing of Salvation. If I'm tanking, I use this as a matter of course anyway. It's not as sexy as Might or Kings, but you're giving your DPS more "headroom" to create aggro in before it becomes a problem.

2. Ask your high level mates to downrank their spells. This is possible with caster types, but not warriors, rogues or feral druids. Basically, they shouldn't need their best nukes for a lowbie instance, and if they want you to be an effective tank at 70, then you'll need the practise now.

3. Adopt a "they spanked it, they tank it" philosophy if they refuse. Try and get aggro back, but don't go out of your way. A Clothie will take not-insignificant damage from even a level 60 melee elite and a few of those pounding on them might change their mind.

As always, tell them that you're trying to learn to do this properly and ask for their help in this regard where possible.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Lore » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:54 am

Any time a DPS'er complains about getting Salv over Might or Kings, I remind them that 30% threat reduction means they can do 30% more damage before they pull aggro. It's basically a buff that increases their damage output by 30%.

The only class I never salv is Hunter -- so long as they're feigning every so often, their threat should never be an issue. I generally give them Might or Wisdom, whichever they prefer.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:57 am

Having played a Hunter for 2 years before rolling my Protadin, I have the least respect for sloppy Hunters. If he's using his feign pro-actively and keeping his aggro down, then I'll consider not giving him Salvation. If, however, he's waiting until he's pulled aggro (and pulled a mob halfway back to the healers) then he's getting Salv and liking it. You get one chance.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Alixander » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:38 am

9 times out of 10, when asked for Might or Kings or Wisdom over Salv, I won't even respond. Maybe I'm just a dick, but if by 70 you don't understand how threat works, you can just take what I give you and like it.
Alixander

Postby halabar » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:46 am

:D Ok, that seems to be the confirmation on the Blessings issue.. I'll try that next time around when tanking.

So, any ideas on the gear issues?.. I don't want to be carrying around more than 1 bag of armour, at least at my level... :wink: so I need to clear some if I can.
halabar

Return to Basic Training & Talents