Remove Advertisements

New to forum need some advice

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

New to forum need some advice

Postby Aurica » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:55 pm

Hi all

I been following the paladin forums and lurking here for sometime now. Our guild is trying to progress into magtheridon. So far I have tanked only two bosses in Karazhan. Aside from the T4 Pieces I need to get.

What other equipment do you all recommend I get and is there anyway I can further improve my ability to tank?
I have been having issues with generating sufficient threat in karazhan and some heroics.

I hope I can learn from your experiences :)

My armory profile is here

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/#character-sheet.xml?r=Dragonmaw&n=Syreniel[/url]
Aurica

Postby Dorvan » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:24 pm

I only took a very cursory glance, but your biggest upgrade needs are libram, gloves, ring. Ideally:

libram -- repentance (get going on those heroics, this is a must!)
gloves -- felsteel until you can get the maiden gloves
ring -- Kara ring is great, grab the Elementium Band of the Sentry for the other slot
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Alixander » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:37 pm

First question: Are you having issues with threat or with having enough sustained mana to carry you though a fight, thus forcing you to restrict your spell casting.

Second question: What is your normal setup for a fight? BoW? BoSanc? JoW? JotC? What about what spells you use, and how often you use them? Need a bit more info is all.

Two (fairly) easy upgrade that will help a lot: First, hit up some heroics and get 15 Badges of Justice. Replace your libram with the Libram of Repentance. While your current libram is good for AOE tanking, the Libram of Repentance will give you a lot of avoidance increase, allowing you to swap out some of your other gear for more threat or more health.

Next, replace your bracers. Either go for the Bracers of the Green Fortress from a Blacksmith (calls for a Primal Nether) or the Vambraces of Courage from Attumen (since you're already doing Karazhan). The Bracers of Dignity would also be a good option, from Heroic Arcatraz, increasing your spell damage, stamina and defense all in one piece. Your current bracers were quite obviously designed with warriors in mind, and give lower amounts of our important stats, compared to the paladin equivalent I listed above.
Alixander

Postby Fade » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:09 am

The guys before me have mentioned the Libram of Repentance, and I just wanted to say that with your gear set-up a Libram of Repentance would put you over the edge to being uncrushable because you currently have about 69% avoidance :-)
Fade

Postby bhullwheyy » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:28 am

Fade wrote:The guys before me have mentioned the Libram of Repentance, and I just wanted to say that with your gear set-up a Libram of Repentance would put you over the edge to being uncrushable because you currently have about 69% avoidance :-)

but he is a bit low on stam!

get a trinket with stam (there are several drops, the furiesdeck or the living ruby snake from jewelcrafting) and swap the ring. personally i like the Delicate Eternium Ring (nearly 2% dodge) or the one from shade of aran. then u´ll need the extra avoidance from the libram but its a good deal to get more stam and more dodge instead of block.

for threat issues especially when u are tanking trashmobs i would suggest to get a second gear with spelldmg on it. and i in karazhan i use additonally wizard oil.
bhullwheyy

Postby Aurica » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:32 pm

Wow good advice.
I am trying to get vambraces of courage, so far it hasnt drop for me yet, lol 6 weeks into kara.
I can understand the part about getting more STAM. But why more dodge? From what I heard or read, damage taken is less spikey if we put on block? If what you say is correct, wouldnt that mean the gnomeragan autoblocker is pretty much useless for pally tanks?

Hi Alixander
I have problem generating sufficient threat to pull mobs away from dpsers, esp when they are untauntable.

Mana is an issue when I was maintanking attumen. I had to try very hard to get aggro when i finally did I was almost oom in 2nd phase with him at 50% hp. Had to switch to JoW and SoW while spamming HS/Consecrate

As for threat generation.
I normally run devotional aura, judge crusader, run seal of righteousness.
I used to run ret aura for threat generation but switch to devo as the mobs in heroics and kara sometimes can hit too hard.
My MT normally pulls, I would prefer to pull with my AS so the mob can stick to me easier, but that does not happen very often.

Is there something that I should adjust? Am I running my sequence incorrectly?

Oh I also tend to notice i parry much much more often than blocking. Which isnt really that great as holy shield is up and the charges arent consumed
Aurica

Postby Ignus » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:52 am

completely negating an attack is far more beneficial than blocking it. just period. if you take a 3k hit, reducing that by 200 is not going to even out the spikeyness of damage.

that being said, having long strings of not taking damage can hurt threat gen, and healers will not cancel heals on you even if you are still at full heath.

it's kind of a balance, but avoiding the attack that would have killed you is far superior to blocking it and dying.
If you invest all of your talents, all of your gear, all of your knowledge and skill into tanking, you should be the best tank.
Ignus
Maintankadonor

Return to Basic Training & Talents