Remove Advertisements

Crushable into Kara

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Postby eia » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:02 am

Minn wrote:flask of fortification (+500 hps +10 def rating)
warp burgers (+agi food)

I actually prefer to run with Elixir of Major Agility + Elixir of Major Fortitude. 35 Agi gives more avoidance than 10 def.

My first time into Kara was with a bunch of friends, cross-guild, just doing it for laughs. I was MT with ~11k hp buffed, completely crushable, but not crittable, in a group consisting of:
2x Prot Pala
1x Retr/Hybrid Pala
1x Moonkin
1x Kitty
1x Disc Priest
1x Shadow Priest
2x Rogue
1x Warlock
... we had a blast! Don't remember exactly how far we came, but think we at least attempted Curator.
Basically, get the best you can for it, read up on the encounters so you know what you will have to do, and do the best you can.
If you are in a group with nice ppl you will have a good shot at taking the early bosses, and if nothing else you will learn a lot, and experience really means a lot.

Good luck!

/eia
"It takes two to cuddle."
eia

Postby Nebuchadneza » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:17 pm

If it hasn't already been mentioned, in addition to Elixir of Major Agility, put your Shaman in your group and get him to drop his Agil Totem. ;)

Little things make all the difference and as Jensaari has said, it's not going to break you for the first few bosses if you are critable and crushable. With 490ish defense and being uncrushable, the margins are certainly reduced for error, but realistically, you have to learn all those encounters in Karazhan as a guild too, and that won't happen in a single run. If you can set yourself the goal to be as well geared as possible before entering Karazhan, it's a point in your favour.

True story:
Our second string Warrior (who OT's most of the time) asked me what the point in his shield block was. This is someone who just got the shield off Gruul for our first kill (seriously :lol:). I mentioned this to our MT Warrior who laughed and said that it was probably because he had never MT'd anything yet. A lot of people still think that stupidly high Defense (530ish) is directly related to being crushable, because they don't check the theory behind the game. A lot of Warriors just seem to assume that because they are 50+ points in protection they are automatically given the tank job.

Most Paladins who want to tank are pretty serious about overcoming the stigma of a healer buffed up to tank, and to do so you have to know your character inside out.
Nebuchadneza

Postby Elcure » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:09 pm

True story:
Our second string Warrior (who OT's most of the time) asked me what the point in his shield block was. This is someone who just got the shield off Gruul for our first kill (seriously ). I mentioned this to our MT Warrior who laughed and said that it was probably because he had never MT'd anything yet. A lot of people still think that stupidly high Defense (530ish) is directly related to being crushable, because they don't check the theory behind the game. A lot of Warriors just seem to assume that because they are 50+ points in protection they are automatically given the tank job.

Mine, Fighting High King Maulger on my main mage while gearing My pally in spare time. THE MT, a warrior who is my pally instancing partner on his as feral (dps) druid and MT for the guild for a long time (MC time) ask me, after being crush to death 3 times in a row by Maulger, "you'se saying you're getting near uncrushable on your pally, how do you do that" and me having to start explaining the hit table to him...

Another one i heard, another MT: "Shield block, useless again the prince, charge goes to fast..."
Elcure

Postby Jensaarai » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:10 pm

>.<

I ran into this last night...we brought in a new warrior who didn't have much, if any, raid tanking experience last night for beginning Kara...so we get to Maiden and I tell him he's tanking, he goes in there and starts dying really fast...well on our second try (I'm healing) I keep him targeted and watch his buffs...I don't see shield block ONCE, I'm like oh shit man...so I tell him "yo, [warrior guy], you gotta keep shield block up at all times, man, it's the most important ability you can use, it has to be up at all times" and he starts using it and his incoming damage goes way down >.< :P and we're able to kill him, though he does die at 8% because he forgot :/ but we killed him before he killed too many people, lol.

He didn't know how it worked, either...he probably still doesn't know because I didn't want to explain the whole mechanics of the hit table to him just then but...man...you learn something new every day, eh? :?
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Nebuchadneza » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:47 pm

Yes you do learn something new every day :D

It's funny since the Warrior in question is actually a good player. He's super fast at picking up targets and also seems keen to prove himself a valuable member of our guild. It's all perspective I guess with regards to the role you play in your raid.
Nebuchadneza

Postby Daimokuren » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:11 pm

Just thought I'd chime in here with my own experience. I was really slow to get some important stuff, and especially compared to how early I got thrown into Kara due to lack of tanks.

At the time, my guild had only downed Huntsman, and moroes once (oddly enough, I was also there for. Right after I dinged 70 and they let me come for the fun of it, we ended up killing him - though I was just off tanking). As soon as I got in there to share tanking duties with my druid pal, things started progressing very smoothly.

I was very crushable for a large majority of it all. But by the time we got to Curator and decided to let me tank him, I was around 9% crushable. Went down like butter, though the first time I died at 4% due to the Enrage and a mistimed lay on hands. But still, guilds first Curator kill with me tanking at 12k health (buffed, not unbuffed lol) and 9% crushable. Also tanked our first Maiden kill with roughly the same stats.

Now I'm uncrushable and 11.5khp completely unbuffed, everything up to curator is a laughable cakewalk to tank (in case you're wondering - had some guild issues and Kara progress came to a screeching halt. We've never attempted Netherspite, and have only had a couple unsuccessful attempts on Prince, and hence, no nightbane either). But back when I started, I was very crushable and didn't have much problem, at least up to Curator. You may be a little less geared that I was then, but my point is don't be *too* scared. Every gear upgrade you get is only gonna make it easier, just keep working at it.

Brett
Daimokuren - 70 Draenei Paly - Balnazzar
Daimokuren

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents