Crushable into Kara

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Crushable into Kara

Postby honorshammer » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:31 am

My guild is getting ready to do Kara within a week or two. I'm still crushable.

While I work towards getting gear that makes me uncrushable should I

A) Wear gear that gives me 10k hitpoints and leaves me 15% crushable +5% hittable with Holy Shield (this is the gear in my armory)

B) Wear gear that makes me only 14% crushable but leaves me with only 9k hitpoints. (Changes from Armory are Burnoose of Shifting Ages, Andormu's Tear, Dath'mar's Ring of Defense)

As far as upgrades, I can respec and pickup 2% more parry from finishing off Deflection.

I'm 6k rep away from the Vindicator's Haueberek (spelling?), and 3k rep away from The Strength of the Untamed. I can get the Dauntless Handgaurds from the Shattered Halls quest. I'm in line for a Nether for a pair of Green Fortress Bracers. Head Enchant from Keepers. Any other upgrades are drops so I just have to get lucky.
honorshammer

Postby Lore » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:39 am

If you have to remain crushable by that much, I would lean towards stamina.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Julian » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:16 am

This isn't the answer you're going to want to hear, but trying to tank Kara while fully crushable is going to be very frustrating for you and your guild.

You could probably make up a lot of that by getting your stuff enchanted, though.

Stick +block rating on your shield and +defense on most of the other places that can take +defense, and my guess is that you'll be pretty close to uncrushability right there.
Julian

Postby honorshammer » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:22 am

Julian wrote:This isn't the answer you're going to want to hear...

This is a big boy forum. I'd rather have the truth than put myself and my friends thought a night of frustration.

I'll get working on enchants. I keep waiting because I don't want to enchant gear I know I'm replacing, but I guess then I'd never enchant anything.
honorshammer

Postby Lore » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:31 am

Honorshammer wrote:This is a big boy forum.

Speak for yourself :P I'm a Toys R Us kid.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby ulushnar » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:47 am

I haven't looked at your profile (armory tends to kill the browser on my work pc), but you might want to look into a Delicate Eternium Ring:

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=24088

Agility and Dodge rating will help you on your way to crush immunity.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby honorshammer » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:28 am

It looks like "a week or two" has become Sunday.

/panic
honorshammer

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:44 am

When I first tanked the first few bosses of Kara, our entire guild was just learning it, and I was about 5 or 6% crushable. My gear was all fine except for the missing Libram of Repentence. Despite this, we managed to work our way through Curator under these conditions. After we downed Curator, I got the Libram of Repentence, and good times were had by all. Then 2.1 upgraded my epix, and I was happy. The End.

i hope my parable helps you in your quest.
Sabindeus

Postby Lore » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:44 am

Have boots of elusion drop on trash to attumen :P
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:46 am

Lore wrote:Have boots of elusion drop on trash to attumen :P

this is totally the best advice I have ever heard
Sabindeus

Postby Paksennarion » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:04 pm

First thing's first:

Go to Caverns of Time. Buy head enchant. Apply directly to the Forehead. :)

Other things I can see that might help:

1. In the workup to Uncrushable, the Netherwing shields are, shall we say, sub-par. I strongly suggest you pick up Shield of the Wayward Footman, especially if you can get it cheap. It's a BoE, and at least on my server, frequently on the AH.

2. Grind rep and get upgrades at the same time; run Steamvaults! You can pick up Steam Hinge Chain of Valor from the second boss, which sacrifices some stam for more block chance; Ring of the Silver Hand to replace your green ring; and of course Devilshark Cape for one of the best non-epic tank cloaks in the game. A few runs should net you one or two, and it will get you to Revered with the Cenarion Expedition, so even if you don't get the neck piece, you can get the rep reward.

3. A lot of this is opinion, so take with a grain of salt. If you're going to be a tank, be a tank, and stop worrying about healing. Grinding up, Spiritual Focus makes some sense. Likewise Imp Conc. Aura. Not so much at 70, and they do you no good filling in as a healer in raids or 5-mans. Drop out of both, and go for 5/5 Deflection, for starters, and then you can go where-ever you'd like. I'd recommend Reckoning or 1H Weapon Spec - the latter if you worry about threat gen - or perhaps even Precision. Also, finish off Toughness; 2% armor is 2% armor, and you want to be as unkillable as you can get. Also, personally, I dislike Imp Judgement, as after three or four cooldown cycles, Judgement and Holy Shield are both finished at the same time. I prefer having both on 10-second timers, but there's a lot of tanks who disagree with me, so go with what works for you.

Normally, I wouldn't dream of mentioning talents, but since you asked what you can do to shape up for KZ, I figured I'd make a few suggestions.
Paksennarion

Postby Jensaarai » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:25 pm

I don't know exactly how Big Bad Wolf compares to Attumen-Curator, possibly, but allow me to tell you a story...

so the warrior I usually run with is sad he never gets to tank (well, the boss) in most of the beginning of Kara...I being such a nice guy :twisted: strapped on my max spell damage gear and let him tank BBW this time...so I probably had like 10k hp buffed, 350-400 spell damage, and...440 or so defense. Way crittable, WAAAAAY crushable. Long story short, he dies early on (~60%) because the healers were overconfident and there was too much chatter on vent, and he got stunned and wtfpwned before the healers knew what was up. Sooo then he's running around the raid and people are going "shit, shit, who the F is shooting us? oh well, Jensaarai, pick it up!" and I'm like "shit guys, you know how little threat I have! I've been running without RF! (doh)" so I hit my "tank" gear hotkey (to slap on shield/libram at least), buff up RF, and manage to pick him up before he killed TOO many people :D

So here I am with maybe 11k hp now (yay shield) and still around 440 defense and way crushable, and I'm thinking "shit, I'm totally going to get owned..." Surprisingly, he only critted me ONCE iirc from 60%-0%, and maybe a few crushes...granted he crushes like a girl (~5k) but the moral of the story being...I was able to kill him in the shittiest tank gear imaginable. Props to my healers I guess for paying more attention, but...I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you're playing with good players, you can probably get away with not being totally uncrushable in the beginning of Karazhan, until you get some upgrades.

Hope you liked me tale :P
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Minn » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:29 pm

flask of fortification (+500 hps +10 def rating)
warp burgers (+agi food)

If you can speak with the raid leadership about group composition, ask for a Warlock with an imp out, and a Warrior who doesn't mind keeping commanding shout up for you on important fights. You should also coordinate with these guys on attack power debuffs, since Paladins can't do this on their own. Get Demoralizing Shout or Curse of Weakness on everything that poses a threat to your still-crushable self, and things should run more smoothly.
Minn

Postby honorshammer » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:26 am

A) The points in Spiritual Focus and Improved Conc are there for my arena / BG nights.

B) I've run Vaults 7 times now. I have the Ring of the Siver Hand.

C) I can talk to the Raid Leader. I happen to be on good terms with him. Now if I can just find a mirror......

Big thank you to all who responded. I raided pre-BC as a walking HoT (FoL, FoL, FoL, oooh crap, Holy Light, FoL, FoL, etc) in ZG, AQ20, and a little MC. I've never been a Raid Leader or a Main Tank.

It looks like our group will be

Prot Paladin
Feral Druidx2
Balance Druid
Resto Druid
Holy Paladin
Mutilate Rogue
Elemental Shaman
Destruction Warlock
Ice Mage

Most of us are undergeared and have little raiding experience. This should be fun.
Last edited by honorshammer on Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
honorshammer

Postby Lore » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:28 am

Thunder Clap is actually the Warrior's most important debuff, 20% slower attack speed = 20% less damage taken.
Lore
Global Mod

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents