Remove Advertisements

Protadin Vs Arena

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Postby Gideon » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:24 am

I arena quite succesfully in 2v2 but my mana bar doesn't seem to stretch to the extra healing in 3v3 and 5v5.

This could be because I arena in full raid tanking kit except for the pvp trinket and my healing mace/shield. My 2v2 partner is a rogue. He starts in stealth so most teams attempt to focus fire me at some point.
Gideon

Postby Semirhage » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:18 am

Before 2.1 I was 13 Holy, 41 Prot, 7 Ret.

I put on my Spell Dmg & Healing, and use one healing trinket.
My job was mostly keeping my priest up.

After a few BG grinds (AV weekend, woot!) and some arena gear, I managed to get a good Ret set:
3/5 Gladiator Scaled helm, shoulder, and glove.
PvP General Scaled bracer, cloak and neck
Exorcist Ret ring, and other ret friendly items.

I'm surprised sitting at 1300 ap and almsot 16% crit while 46 prot / 15 ret.
And even in this gear, I had 5.5k mana with less than 200 sd&H.
But Deep Thunder hits like a truck even when not fully ret spec.

I do Arena in 46 prot /15 ret.

The best match thus far was my priest and warlock died; while the other team's priest die. It was me (75% hp) versus a warrior (50% hp)and rogue (50% hp), and I won, thanks to healthstone, bubble and 3 charges of mana tap for that needed mana to healup.

The ret aura + rank 1 holy shield + rank 1 consecrate + Bosanc, and SoL/JoL was all I needed to win versus the 2.
Semirhage

Postby Bex » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:56 pm

I run in a similair manner, Healing mace an KZ healing shield, with a few pieces of healing gear sprinkled in also, but have most of my tanking gear on. heal cleanse, lure that poor warrior into charging into me, switch to tanking shield/sword and proceed to smacking them around until they realize that I'm not dying nearly as fast as they thought =)
Bex

Postby Daedricks » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:56 pm

I'm too poor to respec for arenas, but healing as prot is pretty doable. On one hand, we suffer because of knockbacks, but on the other hand, we have the stamina and defense to take the blows. I thought I could try and do both, but once I realized how sub-par my damage was, I switched to the full purple judgment outfit. It really does wonders because people assume I am a holy paladin and that I will drop (relatively) quickly.

Meanwhile, my team kills everything else.
Daedricks

Postby Girard » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:06 am

Or.. wear a simple +healing cloth chestpiece (they think OOH, clothadin!)... when the rest of your gear is all hefty plate.

Knew a ret pally who did that, people who thought her easy meat soon ended up visiting the spirit =)
Girard

Postby Vinnicius » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:05 am

Honestly, you should never, ever gimp yourself as a tank in order to do better in arena/pvp situations if you are trying to prove yourself as a raid tank.

Especially as an MT, it becomes your job to be as effective as possible, respeccing would be screwing yourself and your guild.
Vinnicius

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents