How should I upgrade my gear + talents?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

How should I upgrade my gear + talents?

Postby Candiru » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:06 am

I have recently dinged 70 and been a prot paladin since 35 when I respecced to reckoning to level. I have tanked all the instances in the game other than a few I haven't been to from pre-TBC like DireMaul and LBS.

I tried heroic mechanar and it was painfull, I was being 2-hitted by the large robots when they do their charged fists attack! Our group was me, a holy priest healing, warlock+mage DPS/CC and a holy pala doing some DPS and more healing. The priest and pala could keep me alive, just so we managed to clear everything with a couple of wipes where things got out of control.

Any advice on avoiding dying so easily to the charged fists robots? A warrior said they barely scratch him! can they spell reflect or something?

http://armory.wow-europe.com/#character ... &n=Candiru

I still have my leveling talent build so I need to respec and get anticipation and shield.spec. Is precision worth it or should I get guardians favour / Weapon expertise instead?

I tanked with SoB from 64-67 until they nerferd it in the patch :( as the MP regen was amazing and with conviction it did considerably more threat than SoR.

For consecration, it it better to have it up all the time downranking as neccessary or should I just use a high rank whenever I have mana?

Thanks!
Candiru

Postby Glam » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:51 am

Start doing all of the various zone chain quests in Outland. There are some really nice tanking rewards at the end of some of the group quests. Also, run the instances there that you pick up quests for in Hellfire Peninsula. Decent drops there as well.
"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: For I am... PALADIN!"
Armory - http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... ore&n=Glam

Glam
Lvl 80 Dwarf Paladin
Proudmore
Glam

Postby Tybalt » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:11 pm

First of all, you *need* 490 defense (485 for heroics). Crits will kill you, plain and simple.

Second, your spec is a bit wonky. Imp Concentration Aura and Imp Ret Aura are pretty much useless in heroics. Stick with Devotion and your resistances. Get anticipation and Shield Spec instead. Fill out Deflection as well.

Also, at this stage, pretty much every piece of gear you have on should either have +def or +b/d/p. It won't be until you start getting Karazhan gear that you can swap out avoidance/mitigation pieces for extra stam.

Finally, re-gem your gear with pure stam (get the solid star of elune if you can) and maybe a few subtle living rubies (+dodge) or enduring talasites (+def/stam).

Good luck!

-Ty
Tybalt

Postby Dorven » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:03 pm

You are spending a LOT of ipoints on strength, which is really suboptimal for a tanking pally. Avoidance stats or +spell damage are much better choices. Remember the golden rule: for threat per second, 2 spell damage = 7 strength.

Your weak points as I see them:
- Helm and Leggings - in both cases you're wasting alot of points on +str
- The green Ring
- Cape - you're short on defense, so an armor+stam cloak is a suboptimal choice.
- The green Trinket. Sure, it's a good clicky, but it doesn't get you any closer to uncrittable or uncrushable. Reliability > panic buttons.

I'd do the following:
- Buy a Felsteel Helm and Leggings from the AH. Good stuff.
- Run Steamvault until the Devilshark Cape (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=27804) drops. (Steamvault also drops some nice sidegrades - the Chain of Valor (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=27792) is good if you have 490 defense and are trying for uncrushable, the dungeon set 3 chest piece (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28203) is good for your spelldamage set, and the defense ring (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=27805) doesn't suck.)
- Go to Shadowmoon and run the quest for the Protector's Mark of the Redemption (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=31078).
- Hunt for a new trinket. Figurine of the Colossus (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=27529) from Shattered Halls and Adamantine Figurine (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=27891) from the SLab are good, but they only have a 10-11% chance of dropping per run. Or you can quest for Dabiri's Enigma (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=30300).
Dorven

Postby Candiru » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:34 am

Cheers for the advise, I started trying to do that Q in shadowmoon valley, but even in a group of 3 the insane respawn rate and patrolling elite+pack makes it quite tricky!

I have respecced now to the "standard" prot build of 49/12 with precision and am now uncritable vs level 72 mobs :)

About getting d/p/b over stam, my healer is a holy priest and he never ever goes OOM, the trouble is spike damage or where he is stunned / has to heal someone else before going back to me. He would much prefer me to boost stam over d/p/b, and I think that makes sense. Uncrushable is only needed for raids right? so I don't need to get that until I have some heroics under my belt.

About gemming the +12sta gems, I would rather wait until I get better gear first as they are expensive!

I was lucky enough to get the Ace of Furies drop in SV (but no other tanking gear) so I am trying to complete the set for the amazing tanking trinket :)
Candiru

Postby Lore » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:36 am

General rule of thumb is thus:

If you're dying to spike damage, get more stam. If you're dying to healer mana, get more avoidance.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Candiru » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:33 am

my gear improves!

I have slightly better gear now, and respecced 49/12.

The guild I am in has expressed an interest in letting me tank kara! eek.

So I need to get to uncrushable. Obvious upgrade is the libram, have 5/15 badges for it. Other than that I am not so sure. (I keep running SV and SH, but nothing drops for me :()

http://armory.wow-europe.com/#character ... &n=Candiru
Candiru

Kara on wednesday eeek

Postby Candiru » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:28 pm

So I am going to kara on wednesday, I can have 90-93% avoidance depending which ring I wear, but stam seems to be favoured more than uncrushability by the guild due to bosses special heavy attacks etc.

I need to get another 6 badges for my libram, hopefully I will be able to get that tommorrow.. not sure the best way to get 6 badges though!

Got those lovely new bracers from heroic arc <3 going to get enchanted, 12stam or 12def? Thats the question.

and I still need that 7 of furies.
Candiru

Re: Kara on wednesday eeek

Postby Everlight » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:02 pm

Candiru wrote:So I am going to kara on wednesday, I can have 90-93% avoidance depending which ring I wear, but stam seems to be favoured more than uncrushability by the guild due to bosses special heavy attacks etc.

Unfortunately, failing to remove crushes from the combat table means that you're basically giving the boss a free "special attack" that does 150% of weapon damage on 15% of his attacks.

That's a whole lot of owning.
Everlight

Re: Kara on wednesday eeek

Postby adese » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:52 pm

Candiru wrote:I need to get another 6 badges for my libram, hopefully I will be able to get that tommorrow.. not sure the best way to get 6 badges though!

I would suggest running Heroic Mechanar or Botanica - both drop 5 badges in a full clear. I prefer Botanica myself - the destroyer robots in Mech are pure evil in heroic. The one time I went to Heroic Botanica it was a cake walk (barely felt like a Heroic, more like a normal run), but I was there with a good group.
adese

Postby Candiru » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:19 pm

heroic mech went smoothly other than the fire elemental summoning boss, we did the last boss first time before her, and wiped on her. Group then mostly disbanded and had to get 3 new DPSers in to finish her off! got some amazing drops though, I am at 95.49 avoidance unbuffed without the libram.

Need 1 more badge (quick mech before kara should get 1 badge in ~ 10 mins?) and then I should be uncrushable with raid buffs? Hopefully anyway :)
Candiru

Postby Karathos » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:28 pm

For KZ boss fights:

Swap your scourgebane trinket for a defense tanking trinket. (Dabri's Engima is a solid choice and easy enough to get, unless you're looking for +healing gear in which case the healing pants are really nice that are also a quest option from that quest.)

Change your neck for the Cenarion Expedition tanking neck.

The Nexus Guard shoulders from the netherstorm quests will be better CB removal than the Shoulders of the Bold. (Even with them socketed like you have em.)

If you're still crushable, then the Shield of the Wayard Footman (with the +block rating enchant) will give you nearly 4.5% by itself (I belive most of the shield's I have seen are giving ~1.5%, the Shield of the Wayard footman gives ~3.7% CB removal ... don't quote me on exact numbers ... It's late and I don't have my number crunching sheet here) However that will be one of the first pieces you want to try and get rid of on upgrades ... as it is skimpy on other stats than CB removal. (low HP, low armor ... but great CB removal.)

A +12 defense enchant to your bracers wouldn't go amis either.

And swapping out the +8 stamina on your feet for +8 defense, or +7 agility would also up your CB removal potential more so than the 8 stamina would give you as an alternate.

Also consider +agility potions, and +agility food ( I believe I have read that the +35 agility potion will give you ~1.5% CB removal with BoK on you.) And the +Def armor kits will give you ~0.5% CB removal (pre Uncrushable) if I remember correctly.

Oh, and happy tanking!
Karathos

Postby Candiru » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:13 pm

right I got my last epic badge (by healing on heroic bot the plant spike adds penultimate boss!)

Kara was fun, we did up to shade of aran with no wipes, then wiped repeatedly on the shade of aran.

2 warriors, 1 mage, 1 shammie, couldn't stop him from doing the sheep with the adds and the blizzard was killing people 1 by 1 until we all died.

I donned healing gear for the shade, since I can't do that much good tanking him.

I ran into mana problems on curator and attuman, but nothing using my mana pots every cooldown didn't solve... I think I might need to downrank some abilites..what is the most mana effiecient set to use? Rank max -1 seal / holy shield/ consecration? Or the max rank seal but judge less often?

We are going back to kara on sunday to kill the shade of aran and see how much further we can get :)
Candiru

Return to Basic Training & Talents