Remove Advertisements

Calculating Uncrushable

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Calculating Uncrushable

Postby Garov » Tue May 29, 2007 8:37 am

I know there's a post somewhere that tells you exactly how to add it up, but I can't find it :oops: ! The problem I'm having is forgetting how the armor figures into the equation. There's something on the tooltip when I hover over my armor rating that I add to? It's the miss rate that I'm pretty sure I can't find.
Sorry for asking the question, but I looked and couldn't find it. I just finished getting most of my pre-raid set together and I'm looking to find what I need to squeeze in.
Garov

Postby Anaro » Tue May 29, 2007 8:43 am

Unless I'm mistaken (and please, tell me if I am) your best bet for finding miss chance is simply to take the base 5% chance to miss that everyone has, and add the amount of miss chance that your defense rating grants.
Anaro

Postby Jensaarai » Tue May 29, 2007 8:51 am

Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Anaro » Tue May 29, 2007 8:55 am

Yeah, I just found it too, I got distracted by reading :P

I should also clarify that *most* equal level mobs have a 5% miss chance, some have increased miss, some have increased crit, etc. But these are the exceptions to the rule, and 5% is your average innate miss chance.

(Also, level 73 mobs, the ones that can crush, have 4.4% miss on average.)
Anaro

Postby Dorvan » Tue May 29, 2007 8:59 am

Anaro wrote:Yeah, I just found it too, I got distracted by reading :P

I should also clarify that *most* equal level mobs have a 5% miss chance, some have increased miss, some have increased crit, etc. But these are the exceptions to the rule, and 5% is your average innate miss chance.

(Also, level 73 mobs, the ones that can crush, have 4.4% miss on average.)

Yes, level 73 mobs have a 4.4% chance to miss, and reduce your dodge/parry/block by .6% each as well. For simplicity most people leave the base miss at 5% and shoot for 102.4% instead, it's effectively the same thing, just a little simpler to calculate.
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Garov » Tue May 29, 2007 9:15 am

So based off that, I'm currently at 66.3% without Holy Shield, and 96.3 with? 5% base chance miss for mobs, 6% to miss my defense tooltip tells me, 16.25 dodge, 16.13 parry, and 22.92 dodge? Hrmm, after careful re-reading that post you guys linked to, is the 6% my tooltip tells me my defense gives me the same 5% base chance miss for mobs?

Here's my armory http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Stormreaver&n=Garov
Garov

Postby Anaro » Tue May 29, 2007 9:23 am

Garov wrote:So based off that, I'm currently at 66.3% without Holy Shield, and 96.3 with? 5% base chance miss for mobs, 6% to miss my defense tooltip tells me, 16.25 dodge, 16.13 parry, and 22.92 dodge? Hrmm, after careful re-reading that post you guys linked to, is the 6% my tooltip tells me my defense gives me the same 5% base chance miss for mobs?

Here's my armory http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Stormreaver&n=Garov

Can't access the armory from work, but going off the numbers you provided, you are correct. Get yourself a holy shield libram and you're very nearly 'there,' at least until you find a new 'there.' Like uncrushable at 15k health or what have you.

To clarify, 5% + miss chance granted by defense skill (in this case 6%) = 11% miss chance.
Anaro

Postby Garov » Tue May 29, 2007 9:35 am

Excellent. This board has been such a huge help figuring out the tankadin mechanics. I absolutely hate math, but knew I had to force myself to get a working knowledge of tanking math if I was going to be serious about mt'ing. I've been able to change alot of people's mind on tankadin's. All because of these boards. Now I just need to change more minds about raid MT'ing. This place is great.
Garov

Postby Baelor » Tue May 29, 2007 10:46 am

Garov, if your signature is up to date with your stats, you're only about 2% from uncrushable. Get another percentage point or two of dodge or block and stack some more stam and you're good to go!
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby roderick » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:28 pm

Well thanks to these forums I've been banging away at uncrushability. I'm getting closer:

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... n=Roderick

65.36 without holy shield if my math is right.

I still need to get:
Devilshark Cape
Elementium Band of the Sentry
Timewarden's Leggings (properly gemmed)
The KoT Head enchant

I'm having trouble finding the sheild block rating enchant on my server. Still trying. I'd love Crest of the SHatar but getting to Exalted will take a while. Same for Bracers of the Green Fortress and Helm of the Stalwart Defender.

I've been buying up Subtle Living Rubys at 75g a pop and can swap in more on a few pieces but getting to 10K health is also a goal, 700 to go there so swapping out a +12 STA gem is a hard choice.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

Roderick of Cenarion Circle
roderick

Postby Ragnor » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:11 pm

If you are lazy like me the easiest way to calculate this is to install the TankPoints mod:
http://wow-en.curse-gaming.com/downloads/details/992/
Ragnor

Postby Tybalt » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:24 pm

Be careful with tankpoints... it has had bugs in the past that over-estimated your uncrushability. Always sanity check by doing the math yourself if you're not sure.

- Ty
Tybalt

Return to Basic Training & Talents