Remove Advertisements

Going To Kara, Help Mae! (long post)

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Going To Kara, Help Mae! (long post)

Postby ari » Thu May 24, 2007 8:10 pm

so, my guild is reasonably casual and not very far along in kara - only got to chess event for the first time last week; and i personally havent been in kara once.

its been a stretch to get myself into a kara grp; despite being an officer - not a lot of support for getting a pally tank into kara considering we have plenty of tanks in the guild but not enough healing (tho everyone loves running 5 mans with me tanking)

im going into kara labelled the 'offtank' (warrior MT) this week... and not quite sure what to expect.

ive only been 70 a few weeks - my raid gear isnt the greatest (just under 11K hp, 484 def, still crushable 10% or so) but good enough to be in there i think. my 5 man gear too (good spell dmg and ~11K hp, but 465ish defence and still quite quite crushable)

my plan is to wear my 5 man gear (with spell dmg and armor pots) on the trash to try end emphasise the good threat i can produce and raid gear (with agility and armor pots) on bosses and hope i dont get too badly nailed..... ive read some of the strats for the bosses so sort of know what to expect but nothing really compares to being in there.

my concerns/questions for this esteemed community are:

going in there im mainly concerned with mana - i know i can generate enough threat even tho the dps'ers out gear me a bit; but bit worried about keeping my mana up, particularly with 2.1 SA.

my normal pull style is AS (AW if available) holy shield, SoR/JoR, consecrate, get a JoW going then spam shield, cons, exorcism and JoR as long and hard as i can....

but im quite concerned with being able to keep it up if/when im not getting hit.... are there any particular trash pulls or bosses that i will need to generate threat without being targetted?? or will i always have something hitting me and thus be able to not worry about mana....

are there particular pulls when it would benefit me to ask the raid to approach it in a particular way to help me perform better? (theyve never run a pally tank in kara)

should i keep BoSanc on me at all times? or stay with kings.

if there is anything you experienced guys could add that would help me and the raid do great through the first half of kara it would be very much appreciated; and would help ensure i dont have to respec holy if i want to continue in kara :)

if theres anything i should watch out for or be wary of; that will also help.

sry for the badly written and long post!!

cheers, ari.

edit: i have read the offtank thread going atm; its my understanding that most of the first half of kara requires dual tanking anyway??
ari

Postby Nebuchadneza » Thu May 24, 2007 9:51 pm

Mana regen as an OT sucks :(, so ask for a Shadow Priest in your group if you have one. Despair not though as several of the groups through to Attumen are multi tank pulls, so you will get a quick burst of proper threat generation pretty soon + mana through being healed. Likely your raid group will put you on tanking Midnight while your MT does Attumen. With your defense and mitigation you will probably have decent mana regen :D, since the healers will have to top you up a bit more.

After you finish with Attumen and clear to the blacksmith, you will head to Moroes, where (on the way) there are quite a few non-elite packs to demonstrate your AoE tank skills. ;) Once you have cleared the trash around Moroes your job is to stay second on threat after your MT to cover being blinded/gouged instead of someone else. (That's the way my guild does it at least)

Some of the clearing on the way to the Maiden is good with 2 tanks (the 5 packs of elites and groups with succubus in them), and then on Maiden it's better for you to heal through the repentance phase. After Maiden the Skeletal Ushers should be dual tanked and it's easier now that one can be shackled. When you get to the Opera event if you get Romulo and Julianne you might be in trouble since it's best for you to tank Romulo (and you might be hard to keep up with his attack speed and crushing + the odd crit) If you have enough classes to spell interupt then Julianne will be "easier" fine to tank, but I've never done it that way before.

Assuming you take down the Opera, then Arcane Watchmen before the Curator need to be dual tanked + the Arcane Anomaly groups means you can AoE some more till they take your mana. (You could use Lore's hunter trick and "have hunter pull and feign death to reset, it will lose it's mana shield for some reason and will not cast it back in a short time. pull the pack again and you can kill it by a shot or two.")

I would stay with Blessing of Kings myself, buff all DPS with Salvation, and likely stay in your raid set as well. Don't forget Righteous Fury buff (I keep forgetting to refresh this occasionally :oops:)

most of the first half of kara requires dual tanking anyway

True enough I guess, though you could probably get away with just 1 tank (albiet with some difficulty) with the exceptions of maybe Attumen and the Opera Event. Make sure you have fun though, and I'll leave it to others on the forums to make ammendments to my notes if required :D
Nebuchadneza

Postby DurWrathi » Thu May 24, 2007 9:58 pm

Gear wise I’d suggest you do what you can to nail 490 defense to become crit immune and make up as much of that crush gap as you can. If you really want to bring your A game and impress the guildies, drop some gold and flask / pot / food yourself. This will help shore up your gear deficiencies.

Your mana should be fine on bosses; it’s on trash that 2.1 created some troubles for me. For trash, I suggest judging wisdom, opening with an exorcism but don’t spam it every 15, and down rank your consecrates.

Bosses

Midnight and Attumen
The guild will probably have you on Midnight. Not a hard fight, just hold agro during the burn. You should be getting enough heals here.

Moroes
Being off tank for Moroes is hard. You take very little damage but need to keep up a high level of threat, so you’re going to mana starve. My only suggestion is to bring stacks of mana pots and be ready to burn them.

Maiden
Only one tank needed here. Odds are your guild will have you on healing / cleansing. Dust off the healing set.

Generally you’ll want to run Devo / Kings, but there is an exception to this and an opportunity to impress your guild – especially if they have never run with a paladin tank before. Paladins can hold AOE threat like none other and make the packs before and after Moroes a cakewalk. AS pull or have a hunter misdirect, break line of sight to make the pack all run to you (there are some range mobs in the packs), and then unload with full rank consecrate and holy shield. Blessing of Sanctuary and Ret Aura really shine here as well. At this point, the mobs are yours and no trigger happy lock or mage is going to be able to pull them off you. Once you have a few seconds on the pack, let your AOE team know they can open up.

Go forth Ari, and destroy any who would oppose you
:twisted:
DurWrathi - 70 Paladin - Alleria
Est Sularus oth Mithas, Est Sudanus oth Nikkas
DurWrathi

Postby Everlight » Thu May 24, 2007 10:36 pm

DurWrathi wrote:Moroes
Being off tank for Moroes is hard. You take very little damage but need to keep up a high level of threat, so you’re going to mana starve. My only suggestion is to bring stacks of mana pots and be ready to burn them.

Assuming you pass the mark of 490 Defense, 10k health unbuffed and uncrushable, I'd be suggesting that you MT Moroes. You will have a big advantage against his dual-wielding ass with Imp. HS, and you won't mana starve with him up in your face. Moroes is harsh for a Paladin to off-tank. Healing aggro is your enemy.
Everlight

Postby ari » Fri May 25, 2007 12:38 am

fantastic help, ty guys.

if anyone has anything else to add; even if you think it is minor pls post :D theres nothing wrong with too much information :)
ari

Postby Saladin » Fri May 25, 2007 12:48 am

on attumen.. i remember the first time i tanked there.. i unloaded on midnight .. Avenging Wrath + shield throw + exo bfore he got to me.. and the dps was like DAAAAMMMMM looka that threat.. and they went to town on him..

Strong aggro build is one of our greatest advantages.. make sure everyone can see that whenever possible..

O yea aoe tanking bfore moroes like mentioned is tha bomb.. slap on sanctuary.. retrib.. holy shield and jus conc away.. you dont even have to hit anything

EDIT : one last tip.. even though it is insanely easy to do.. do NOT pull aggro from the MT.. noone likes a one upper >.< .. it sucks but you have to be able to impress your guildies with your tanking abilities in the role assigned to you
Saladin

Postby Lorath » Sun May 27, 2007 3:32 am

Nebuchadneza wrote: hunter trick and "have hunter pull and feign death to reset, it will lose it's mana shield for some reason and will not cast it back in a short time. pull the pack again and you can kill it by a shot or two."

"Fixed" in 2.1 :(
Lorath, Human 80 Swedish Viking Tankadin, EU Bloodhoof
www.kingsandaces.eu
Lorath

Postby Tybalt » Sun May 27, 2007 9:29 am

Those arcane pulls are pretty easy depending on group makeup. The big guy is an elemental, but the adds are all all beasts. Our group has 3 druids and a mage, so we hibernate/sheep all 4 adds and burn down the elemental. Once we figured that out, that whole hallway became trivial.

-Ty
Tybalt

Postby Jensaarai » Sun May 27, 2007 2:57 pm

pft

the adds before curator?

aoe tank all the little guys :P
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Nebuchadneza » Sun May 27, 2007 5:05 pm

"Fixed" in 2.1 :(

What's the bet that for kicks, the devs put in little things like this to see how long it takes for someone to figure it out. Once everyone knows about it they then make "the changes"
Nebuchadneza

Return to Basic Training & Talents