Remove Advertisements

And What About Off-Tanking?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

And What About Off-Tanking?

Postby bhalthorn » Wed May 23, 2007 12:29 pm

Hello everyone,

I have some doubts about Paladin Off-Tanking, what kind of build we must focus, and how a Paladin off-tank mobs?

I would like to know this style of play or is the same as a Prot Paladin?

Please help me because perhaps my paladin will have his focus on Off-Tanking.

Other thing that I would like to know is what kind of gear should I farm?

Cheers
Bhalthorn - Paladin - Horde - Warsong
bhalthorn

Postby Jensaarai » Wed May 23, 2007 4:38 pm

if you mean trying to build threat on a boss behind a warrior or a druid...leave that to a warrior or a druid. They are the off-tank threat builders, not Paladins (druids especially). Without heals to replenish our mana bar, and especially now with the sa nerf, I seriously doubt you could keep any sort of meaningful threat.

MT or bust! :D
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Eloff » Wed May 23, 2007 4:59 pm

MT or bust is really the #1 choice for a paladin....

However, if you are forced to off tank, here's the only feasible method:

First... DPS needs to hold back.

Second, you need to start a stack of SoV. Once it's up, have a holy paladin come in and keep the stack running in between heals. (recommend they use a 3.0 swing weapon...)

If the stack falls off, you'll have to re-apply it.

Third keep SotC up for the extra holy damage, and SoW to keep your mana going. Seal of Righteousness / judgements and a rank 1 consecration should give you just enough aggro generation to keep up near the top.

The big problem is asking a holy paladin to slow down their heals to help 'melee' whatever you are trying to tank. That's just plain annoying and a great reason to insist on being the MT. If you can't MT, you are better off as an off-healer.
"With your shield or on it" - Spartan Code of Conduct

Eloff

Postby Everlight » Wed May 23, 2007 8:44 pm

Aggravating though it is, yeah, that's about the sum of it. We aren't that much chop as off-tanks. Better off with a Druid (since they can DPS pretty well in Bear) or a Warrior (who can still generate meaningful threat on something that isn't hitting back).

Our dependence on reactive damage is both our strength and our weakness.
Everlight

Postby Jocylen » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:13 am

I had the same problem, as I was thrilled to actually find a guild that would let me tank in kara, I was on off tanking duity. I almost left pally tanking after my first kara run. Unforunetly no matter how hard you try, you cannot build more aggro than the average dps on a mob without being hit. period.

Now that our main tank realised this hes letting my mt all trash and starting to tank bosses while he does dps.
Jocylen

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:01 pm

Whoa, you guys have narrowed the scope of off tanking a bit. Being second on a threat list not the norm for off tanking. Off tanking is usually dealing with boss adds or dealing with some trash mob on a multi mob pull.

While we aren't very good at staying second in threat, we are just fine at handling adds and trash.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Dorven » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:25 pm

Seems like some terminology to differntiate the two situations would be really nice.

Might I suggest "shadow tanking" for the case where we're tanking the same mob as the MT and building up independant threat, and "second-tanking" for the case where we're tanking a secondary mob?

That abbreviates really nicely too:
MT = main tank
ST = shadow tank
2T = second-tank
3T = third-tank (if you need one)

Try it out:
Hey, Jensaarai, you should MT, Eloff wil ST in case of aggro wipe, Everlight and Jocylen will 2T the adds.
Dorven

Postby Minn » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:22 pm

JotC, SoV, judge SoV every time it is up. Consecrate as mana permits. Pop mana pots if you're desperate. Avenging wrath is nice too.
Minn

Postby Torakka » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:55 am

Mana pots and being grouped with shadow priest work quite nicely.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... /ezarioth/ -retired, maybe this time for real...
Torakka

Postby Ragnor » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:09 pm

Minn wrote:JotC, SoV, judge SoV every time it is up. Consecrate as mana permits. Pop mana pots if you're desperate. Avenging wrath is nice too.

Do that and put blessing of sacrifice on the main tank so you take damage, get healed and thus get mana.
Ragnor

Return to Basic Training & Talents