Remove Advertisements

How to hold aggro on big pulls? (Also asks gear question)

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

How to hold aggro on big pulls? (Also asks gear question)

Postby PizzaOfHut » Tue May 15, 2007 2:37 pm

Right after hitting 66, I was picked up as MT for a slave pens run. I'm a rather inexperienced pallytank, and during the larger pulls (I pulled with AS most of the time), I did a terrible job of getting and/or holding aggro on the majority of the mobs; particularly during the pull on the hill before the Cenarion Expedition guy right before the final boss. Like I said, I did most of the pulling with my AS, then spammed max rank Consecrate, max rank HS, and SoR/JoR, in that order. At the beginning of the run it wasn't a huge problem (On bosses, tho, they were MINE without even using JotC, till I died, but more on that later in the post), but toward the end I was starting to lose trash mobs like mad on pulls. My question for all you seasoned tankadins out there is how do you manage pulls of, say, more than 3 mobs and hold aggro on all of them? I've read the sticky in this thread, so I THINK I'm aware of the basics of pallytanking, but there's prolly something I'm missing, as we have the best multi-target tanking ability in the game. Any help on this issue would be most welcome.

Also, although I did a great job holding aggro on bosses (without even using JotC) I got killed on every attempt we made. I know for a fact that this is because my gear is terrible. Please view my Armory Profile at this link and give me some ideas on where I can find good tankadin gear for my level, or at least effective improvements on what I have. (BTW, I'm a JC now, but I used to be a Smithy. Got fed up with the lack of pally gear, but then saw that there was SOME. Was my choice wise, stupid, or neutral?)

Many thanks for your time, and I look forward to reading your replies.
PizzaOfHut

Postby Dorvan » Tue May 15, 2007 2:48 pm

It'd help if you said a little more aobut how you were losing aggro. If you were doing what you described, I can't imagine losing aggro to a healer. given that, it sounds like your DPS was splitting their focus. If you've got DPS'ers doing single target DPS on different mobs it's going to make life difficult no matter what class is tanking (it's even worse for Warriors and Druids, in fact). A little more information would be needed to say anything further, though. Also, how much spell damage did you have?
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Arcand » Tue May 15, 2007 3:24 pm

On that final pull up on the hill, IIRC, Avenger's Shield will only hit one of them because they're too spread out. I'd probably put AS into the one that's getting crowd-controlled, let the other three run into a Consecration and throw JoR on the first kill target.

Really, if your DPS are pulling off you they should automatically be waiting an extra second or two before opening up; in a perfect world you shouldn't have to say anything to them to get them to adjust.

This being the WoW world, however, you might want to make some kind of "Ok, add in now" macro and ask them to wait for it. I have one of those which I rarely need, and another macro for "Eeek, he resisted my big shots, give me an extra couple seconds" which I've only used once but I was glad I had it. (Yay for the 1/8000 triple resist.)
Arcand

Postby PizzaOfHut » Tue May 15, 2007 3:45 pm

Dorvan, I think I just had a serious "Duh!" moment here. :lol: Our group's DPS consisted of 2 hunters and their pets, who tended to attack different targets reletive to each other, and rarely what I was tanking. I tend to seriously absorb myself in watching buttons/cooldowns/threat generation so much that I don't pay a whole lot of attention to what my teammates are doing unless they heal me or steal aggro. I also almost never talk during a run because of this. Something I will have to work on, I guess. In any event, it never dawned on me to say anything to them, ask the group leader to mark 1st kill, 2nd kill, etc., or to even pay it any mind at the time. :oops: Oh well, now I know to be mindful of things like that. Many thanks for getting me to think of that, Dorvan! :D

My spell dmg during the run was (and still is) 162. For the stuff I'm tanking, I'm not hurting in that department. My problem is that I'm hurting in most every other department. My Armory profile is at http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... &n=Alereon if any of you wanna look at it and give me some ideas for stuff to get @ lvl 66 either through quests, farming, instances, or shelling out gold in the AH.

EDIT: Arcand, you must have posted right after I started writing my post, cause I didn't see your's until after I made this post. In any event, thank you for your advice on how to handle that pull, as well as for the macro ideas.
PizzaOfHut

Postby Everlight » Tue May 15, 2007 4:06 pm

If you were fine at the start of the run, but started losing the mobs near the end, and you know you weren't slacking off there's generally one explanation...

Your DPS was getting complacent. They saw you holding aggro like a champ at the beginning and they were cutting loose more carelessly near the end because of it.
Everlight

Postby Lore » Tue May 15, 2007 5:38 pm

Did RF drop off? :P

If I had 1 stam for every time I forgot to refresh RF, I'd have more hit points than Mag.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby PizzaOfHut » Tue May 15, 2007 6:23 pm

No, RF didn't drop off. I'm pretty good about keeping RF up and running.
PizzaOfHut

Postby Lorath » Thu May 17, 2007 4:58 am

Lorath, Human 80 Swedish Viking Tankadin, EU Bloodhoof
www.kingsandaces.eu
Lorath

Postby Bobness » Thu May 17, 2007 5:21 am

Everlight wrote:Your DPS was getting complacent. They saw you holding aggro like a champ at the beginning and they were cutting loose more carelessly near the end because of it.

I think this is the most likely scenario...

Any PUG i'm ever in starts cautiously after I explain the Basics of how I will tank. Inevitably as soon as they realise they can offload more DPS & more quickly they ask for Might/Kings & start to Nuke b4 i've even gained aggro. A couple of deaths & a timely word tend to bring things back in line.

If it doesn't improve after that they tend to go on my ignore list

/shrug
Bobness

Return to Basic Training & Talents