Maintankadin 101 - Winchester

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Postby Targonis » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:27 am

Add the Bracers from Heroic Arcatraz to your Heroic Gear list. Bracers of Dignity... they're hawt.
Targonis

Postby jere » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:29 am

Angella wrote:So I looked at the stamina/armor equivalency stuff.

Then it occured to me.

Does the equivalency stuff apply to non-physical damage? I'm pretty sure armor is ignored for magical attacks, so wouldn't it make more sense to stack stamina over armor regardless?

It really depends on the fight. Most fights do either very little magic damage or very infrequent magic damage. For fights where you take a ton of magic damage that actually matters, stamina would definitely make more sense. I think we can count those encounters on our fingers though..and maybe even on one hand.
jere

Postby Winchester » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:53 am

Ciandin wrote:Since we've had a rather large influx of new people to the MT scene, I vote we sticky this and mark it as another good beginner's guide along with Gestalt's

woah, thanks :) quite a compliment to be sticky worthy.

Targonis wrote:Add the Bracers from Heroic Arcatraz to your Heroic Gear list. Bracers of Dignity... they're hawt.

I'm trying to keep with the whole 1 item per list thing, else i'd start branching out and mentioning too many :P

I had to choose between Amber Bands of the Aggressor and Bracers of Dignity.
Since the amber ones were in a much easier heroic i decided to go for that one.

Angella wrote:So I looked at the stamina/armor equivalency stuff.

Then it occured to me.

Does the equivalency stuff apply to non-physical damage? I'm pretty sure armor is ignored for magical attacks, so wouldn't it make more sense to stack stamina over armor regardless?

Pretty much what jere said.
Considering the majority of the incomming dmg is physical, its good to get some extra protection against it.
It's sorta the same why we specifically gear for resistances for certain fights we know that most of the dmg is a specific magic class.
Seal of Posting
220 Mana
Instant Cast
Fills the paladin with the urge to troll, granting each post a chance of luls.
Only one seal can be active on the paladin at any one time.

Unleashing this seal will bump your thread.
Winchester
Maintankadonor

Re: Maintankadin 101 - Winchester [Another big update]

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:59 am

Winchester wrote:When you raid or do heroics you can get badges of justice.
After awhile those badges start to stack up, these are the items i suggest you buy, in order.

Badges of Justice:

Libram - 15 Badges - Libram of Repentance
Shield - 33 Badges - Azure-Shield of Coldarra
Chest - 75 Badges - Chestguard of the Stoic Guardian
Cloak - 35 Badges - Slikk's Cloak of Placation
Bracers - 35 Badges - Bracers of the Ancient Phalanx
Belt - 60 Badges - Girdle of the Protector
Boots - 60 Badges - Sabatons of the Righteous Defender
Leggings - 100 Badges - Inscribed Legplates of the Aldor
Gauntlets - 60 Badges - Bonefist Gauntlets
Ring - 60 Badges - Ring of the Stalwart Protector
Libram - 20 Badges - Libram of Divine Purpose

I really can't state how much I disagree with this order. First of all, I'd remove the badge shield from the list altogether, since the SSO exalted shields are roughly equivalent to it.

Secondly, I'd reccomend swapping the Bracers and Legplates positions in the table. Simply put those Legplates are awesome and every Tankadin should get them as soon as they have the Libram and Chest. The Bracers are a decent item, low on uncrushability, and not optimally statted for us. They're decent once you've got your main pieces, but I wouldn't touch it before I had libram, chest, legs, boots and cloak.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Winchester » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:09 am

I'll prolly move those around abit, while i was writing that whole part there my power went out and i had to rewrite it, while i was already sleep deprived.

I was kinda just guesstimating what items you'd have at that point from karazhan etc.

And you're absolutely right about the shield it had completely slipped my mind. I've been away for about 5-6 weeks and being that i was sleep deprived i totally forgot about SSO.
Seal of Posting
220 Mana
Instant Cast

Winchester
Maintankadonor

Postby Winchester » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:28 am

i decided to drop the ordered list, cause it varies from each paladins current needs, although i do still say to get atleast the libram of repentence first.
Seal of Posting
220 Mana
Instant Cast

Winchester
Maintankadonor

Postby Malthorn » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:05 am

Winchester wrote:If you have any input/comment please do post :)

I was just wondering why the S2 gavel and shield aren't in your list? They're quite easy to attain and I understand from other lists that they are viable tanking gear.
Malthorn

Postby Ciandin » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:10 am

Because this isn't an all out gear list...there are at least two other threads out there where you'll find arena gear listed.
Fighting over the internet is like the special olympics... even if you win, you're still retarded.
Ciandin

Postby Malthorn » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:28 am

Ciandin wrote:Because this isn't an all out gear list...there are at least two other threads out there where you'll find arena gear listed.

I got that... that's why I mention that it's on other lists. I was just wondering if there is a specific reason why those two aren't listed.
Malthorn

Postby Winchester » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:55 pm

Malthorn wrote:
Ciandin wrote:Because this isn't an all out gear list...there are at least two other threads out there where you'll find arena gear listed.

I got that... that's why I mention that it's on other lists. I was just wondering if there is a specific reason why those two aren't listed.

There now there is a small extra list with items that are easy to get, put potentially time consuming.
Seal of Posting
220 Mana
Instant Cast

Winchester
Maintankadonor

Postby Malthorn » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:30 am

Winchester wrote:I got that... that's why I mention that it's on other lists. I was just wondering if there is a specific reason why those two aren't listed.

There now there is a small extra list with items that are easy to get, put potentially time consuming.[/quote]

You're a star :D , btw I forgot to mention that this is a great guide!
Malthorn

Postby Winchester » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:49 pm

Malthorn wrote:You're a star :D , btw I forgot to mention that this is a great guide!

Cheers man :)
Seal of Posting
220 Mana
Instant Cast

Winchester
Maintankadonor

Postby AholeyKnight » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:52 pm

Belt to have while working factions http://www.wowhead.com/?item=30034

Weapon - I disagree with Contin Blade. Crystalforged Sword is much better or grind the honor fro the S2 gavel. Both of these are readily avail while working on your SSO faction.

Trinket - No listing of Dabiri's Enigma? http://www.wowhead.com/?item=30300 ..One of the easiest quests I had to do in NetherStorm. Took all of about 10 mins with a group. We all did the quest from start to finish.
AholeyKnight

Postby Winchester » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:24 pm

AholeyKnight wrote:Belt to have while working factions http://www.wowhead.com/?item=30034

Weapon - I disagree with Contin Blade. Crystalforged Sword is much better or grind the honor fro the S2 gavel. Both of these are readily avail while working on your SSO faction.

Trinket - No listing of Dabiri's Enigma? http://www.wowhead.com/?item=30300 ..One of the easiest quests I had to do in NetherStorm. Took all of about 10 mins with a group. We all did the quest from start to finish.

I wrote the first bit of the gear guide before even crystalforged sword existed. and way before vortexes were readily availible via badges.

I feel there isnt much need to mention the belt seeing as i'm already mentioning girdle of the protector which imo has more appealing stats.

Crystalforged blade although being the only real weapon designed for paladin tanking just isnt reliable enough to be on the pre kara gear list.
If your not on a overpopulated server chances are you wont see this on the auction house.

Again i didnt see a need to mention dabiri's enigma and have to explain the questline and where to get it, when im already mentioning a very similar trinket that is easily obtainable from the 2nd boss in SL, and with the gear i listed you already reach the defense cap neccasery, which is the reason why i choose figurine of the colossus as the 2nd trinket.
Seal of Posting
220 Mana
Instant Cast

Winchester
Maintankadonor

Postby Jharlon » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:06 pm

Love your post!! :) VERY helpful!!

But I have a question that I haven't found an Answer to .. yet.

When developing a tank, how do you determine a weapon? If I'm currently using the Gladiator Slicer at 90+ dps with no spell adjustment (2.6 speed), is that better tanking a single target then say a weapon with 41 dps +300 heal and +100 spell dmg (1.5 speed)?

Fairly new to tanking.. THANKS AGAIN for your guide.. is has given me TONS of insight!

Jharlon - 70 - Lightninghoof
Jharlon

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents