Remove Advertisements

Cool down usage in MoP (aka Active Mitigation)

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: Cool down usage in MoP (aka Active Mitigation)

Postby theckhd » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:44 am

Treck wrote:not to mention it fucks up my rotation having to click it where I want to have it every time i put it down but thats just something you get used to.

That's actually my biggest complaint about the glyph too. I've always felt the targeting mechanism in this game was awkward, though it's gotten better with spell queuing. But it just breaks up my rhythm to have to click twice to get Cons to cast.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby daishan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:06 am

I have Cons bound to my naga, if I end up using the glyph a lot I'll be making a macro with the Razer software, ToS be damned.
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby econ21 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:46 pm

Treck wrote:Sacred shield is awesome, I dont see it as maintenance at all.

You are right. It's my favorite change for us in 5.0.4. It almost feels like we are spoiled - it's like we have a third form of active mitigation to use on very short CDs, whereas other classes just have two.

EDIT: too late! It seems like Blizzard realised it was a little too good and now it's been hotfixed, so the first tick comes after 6s.
econ21

Postby xstratax » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:28 pm

I will note, regarding EF, because it replaces WoG you do not need to change your macros, it just casts EF any place you have WoG being cast. I tested this on Beta with a '/cast !Word of Glory' macro but EF talented.
xstratax
Maintankadonor

Postby Sanctity » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:43 am

The tier 4 talent Unbreakable spirit reduces the cooldowns of Divine Protection and Lay on Hands. I, like econ, use DP on CD with glyph and with unbreakable spirit I've found the CD to land around 45 seconds meaning ~22% uptime. Obviously this is flexable based on if you're spamming SotR every CD or saving it for big hits. If Holy Avenger is used that will also cut a few more seconds off the CD. Worth noting at least.

Lay on Hands has a CD long enough that it always receives the full 50% CD reduction but that's not nearly so useful.
I think the trick's that you made someone proud.
Sanctity

Postby Fetzie » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:01 pm

It means that LoH is ready for every boss try though, which can be quite useful.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby theckhd » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:25 pm

Pyrea wrote:It means that LoH is ready for every boss try though, which can be quite useful.

It turns it from a "once-per-fight" cooldown into a potential "two-per-fight" cooldown, which is pretty big on long (i.e. end boss) encounters.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby daishan » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:26 pm

I can't find it now but a week or 2 back they said all CD's 5 min and longer would be reset on a raid wipe, except reincarnation.
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Hespherus » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:55 am

Yes, ive read that too. Still, LoH could be usable twice on some encounters, which is still pretty important.
Hespherus

Postby daishan » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:07 am

Yep, I'll be taking unbreakable spirit most of the time, a boss would have to have a very painful DoT or a mechanic that can be abused with clemency for me not to take it.
2 LoH on many fights and possibly a 3rd on epic end bosses, yummy :D
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Zalaria » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:59 am

I thought they said something more like "long cooldowns that a progression raid would sit and wait for" as the ones they would reset (note - that's not a quote. just something close that I pulled from memory). I specifically remember them saying they would reset Bloodlust and Rebirth, but would not reset the warlock demons. Not sure how that applies to LoH, but I would probably put it more in the category with the demons.

Granted, I don't agree with them. I've been in raids where we waited on dps cooldowns because we need them at the start of the fight.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby daishan » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:20 am

That was the first GC post, this is the 2nd that I copy pasted to my guilds site at the time.

Alright, this post caused a knockdown, drag out in my office. Weapons were recklessly pulled down from walls, etc. I mumbled something about how I'm the boss and what I say goes, but that didn't work either. After the dust cleared, we decided that we would allow any cooldown that lasts 5 minutes or longer to be reset on raid encounters. The one exception is shaman Reincarnation, because we don't want to have to include it as a true battle rez, but think it would be too valuable if you could use it every single attempt. Most fights (we hope) aren't planned around the shaman dying. We'll implement this change as soon as we're able.
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Zalaria » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:31 am

Ah, thanks for that. I missed that one.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents