Remove Advertisements

The Right CTC

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

The Right CTC

Postby palapower » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:40 pm

Hi !

I have a question about the % Stats to reach the Cap.

What is the % needed for Dodge, Parry and Block ? Cuz i reach CTC now and i still think im having so much damage.
Do i really need to equal Dodge and Parry ? What is the reason for this, since i have unbalanced Dodge/Parry and im Block Cap.
Also, what if i had for example:
50% Parry/Dodge and 45% Block, would that still works ?

Thanks !!!
Armory:http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/goldrinn/palapower/advanced
palapower

Re: The Right CTC

Postby Dantriges » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:11 pm

You reforge dodge to parry or the other way round to get more avoidance in general. Your parry is pretty high compared to dodge so it is hit harder by dimishing returns. So you get more from 100 additional dodge than from 100 additional points in parry.
Dantriges

Postby econ21 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:42 am

palapower wrote:Cuz i reach CTC now and i still think im having so much damage.

I also got this question from a healer "if you are block capped, how come you are taking so much damage?". That was on Zon'ozz. Part of the answer is that there is quite a lot of unblockable damage in DS, like Zon'ozz's psychic beam. I also feel that DS (compared to earlier Cata raids) has moved us a bit back to the Wotlk world of very hard hitting bosses: even their melee strikes can be very hefty now (50k hits seem not uncommon). Additionally, getting to block cap is valuable primarily for smoothing out damage and avoiding infrequent but nasty damage spikes - what it does to overall damage reduction is modest.

Do i really need to equal Dodge and Parry ? What is the reason for this, since i have unbalanced Dodge/Parry and im Block Cap.

No, you don't "really need it". It is optimal, due to diminishing returns, to try to equalise dodge and parry although gear availability means it is not always possible. [Basically, it will allow you to reach block cap with less rating, so potentially freeing up some gems etc for more stamina.] However, the gains from this often seem to be very modest. I would look at it if dodge and parry are way out of line, or if you are in close to your final set of gear. But when you are still gearing up, I would not necessarily reforge to equalise parry/dodge every time I get a new piece of gear. [Whereas I would reforge/regem to maximise stamina subject to staying at block cap.]
econ21

Postby Hrobertgar » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:46 am

also got this question from a healer "if you are block capped, how come you are taking so much damage?". That was on Zon'ozz. Part of the answer is that there is quite a lot of unblockable damage in DS, like Zon'ozz's psychic beam. I also feel that DS (compared to earlier Cata raids) has moved us a bit back to the Wotlk world of very hard hitting bosses: even their melee strikes can be very hefty now (50k hits seem not uncommon). Additionally, getting to block cap is valuable primarily for smoothing out damage and avoiding infrequent but nasty damage spikes - what it does to overall damage reduction is modest.

Well, Zon'ozz has his Focused Anger stacking, so he melees like a truck by the time the PingPong hits him, whereas Psychic Assault is reasonably predictable for a magic CD (the first one is always ~5-10 secs after 'serve'). Warmaster can melee like a Battleship at the end (coupled with armor debuff), and I found out on Madness that the Corrupted Tentacles can hit for 90k unblocked once when I though 'hey its all magic/unavoidable why not go double stam trinkets'. Despite an unlucky string of attacks, had I blocked that hit I woulda lived...

But yea, a lot of the bosses can hit for really hard.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby GMPoison » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:59 am

econ21 wrote:
palapower wrote:Cuz i reach CTC now and i still think im having so much damage.

I also got this question from a healer "if you are block capped, how come you are taking so much damage?". That was on Zon'ozz. Part of the answer is that there is quite a lot of unblockable damage in DS, like Zon'ozz's psychic beam. I also feel that DS (compared to earlier Cata raids) has moved us a bit back to the Wotlk world of very hard hitting bosses: even their melee strikes can be very hefty now (50k hits seem not uncommon). Additionally, getting to block cap is valuable primarily for smoothing out damage and avoiding infrequent but nasty damage spikes - what it does to overall damage reduction is modest.

No, you don't "really need it". It is optimal, due to diminishing returns, to try to equalise dodge and parry although gear availability means it is not always possible. [Basically, it will allow you to reach block cap with less rating, so potentially freeing up some gems etc for more stamina.] However, the gains from this often seem to be very modest. I would look at it if dodge and parry are way out of line, or if you are in close to your final set of gear. But when you are still gearing up, I would not necessarily reforge to equalise parry/dodge every time I get a new piece of gear. [Whereas I would reforge/regem to maximise stamina subject to staying at block cap.]

You want to be sitting as close to 20% Dodge, 20% Parry as possible. Untill you move into Heroics theres no reason to gem for too much Stam. When you do start progressing Heroics the dodge/parry will come with gear, and you can start swapping some of your avoidance gems out for Stam, once you acually need them.
GMPoison

Postby palapower » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:19 am

Well, thanks for the answers ! I was quite busy last week sorry for the delay and for broken English (I'm brazilian and still learning as my second language).
I learned how to use chardev.org to simulate my Raid Buffs, Foods, Flask, Gear, Gem well ... all :). It's amazing site.
Now, with my gear, i can sit right on 102.47% and i think i got a nice stamina for no Heroic Gear.
I'm very satisfied, but now is time to learn how to analise logs to see what im doing wrong, if i am doing.
I'm very gratefull for this site and members.
Many thanks.
palapower

Return to Basic Training & Talents