Remove Advertisements

Engineering vs. Jewelcrafting

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Engineering vs. Jewelcrafting

Postby Eruptia » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:30 am

Hi there !

First of all, I'm French, so please forgive my english which is pretty bad. I'm a long-time reader, first-time poster actually.

I'm a Tankadin in a fairly decent guild (currently at 3/13 HM in 25-man), and I'm pretty aware about what is good and what is not since I'm working on a blog which is fairly well known by the French community.

Anyway, here is my problem. I currently deal with BlackSmiting + Engineering, and I have to say it's pretty satisfying. Anyway, I was wondering what is the best choice between Engineering and Jewelcrafting for a Prot Pally ? For now, Engineering is giving me 250 Armor if I'm not wrong (1500 / 12 seconds / minute) and Nitro-boosts (yeah, I know, high failure rate).

I've red this post but I didn't really get an answer to my question. :( So what do you think about it ? Should I go for Jewelcrafting or I would better keep Engineering ?

By the way, I'd like to thank you all. I really appreciate (and am surely not the only one) the job you do for the community (especially Theck I have to say), so just keep going ; it's priceless. :)

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Eruptia.
Eruptia

Re: Engineering vs. Jewelcrafting

Postby fuzzygeek » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:58 am

Unless Eng gets a significant buff shortly, I'd definitely recommend JC. I'm JC/Eng, and --><-- close to dumping eng for BS myself.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Jeremoot » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:30 am

Now-a-days with Cataclysm the professions you choose make little difference in performance. They all give similar buffs, just in a different manner. With the massive scaling of stats, losing 10 stamina isn't that big of a deal anymore.

I actually dropped Mining for Engineering with Cataclysm simply because I think it's fun. I can drop repair bots and mailboxes for my raid, I can parachute off of the elevator in BWD, and I get fun tinkers. Is it making me any money? No. Did it cost me 13k to level? Yes. Do I regret it? Not in the slightest.

In my opinion, keep Engineering if you enjoy it, otherwise take professions that are going to make you gold.
Jeremoot

Postby Eruptia » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:57 am

Thanks for your advices.

Actually, I don't really care about making gold since I'm close to 120k gold, so it's not really a problem. I was kind of looking for optimization, and even if I think Engineering is pretty fun, it doesn't seem to be really "statistically good".

I guess I'm gonna keep thinking a little bit about it. :)
Eruptia

Postby Gab » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:30 am

You may want to check out this thread, has some of the downfalls of engineering.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=3&t=31043&rb_v=viewtopic

I leveled Engineering during ICC, dropping enchanting. Do I regret it? Very much so. Engineering is a HUGE let down. Other than the goggles, it has no redeeming quality outside of non combat convenience and the goggles are easily replaced. The fact that the plasma shield and the boosts can fail make them unusable in raiding situations. The cardboard assassin lost a lot of it's appeal when they nerfed it to not taunt raid bosses. And the glove tinker is almost worthless, since it puts your other trinkets on CD.

Engineering is possibly the worst profession for a Prot Paladin.

TLDR: If you enjoy the fun/convenience of Engineering then it can be a cool profession. However it is pretty much useless for raiding, and you would be better off picking pretty much any other profession especially JC/BS.
Gab

Postby Sur-Pseudo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:29 pm

Personally I am smith/eng and I love it. Personally I went with eng str to gloves, the initial threat boost is *great* and I can use it with wings during a burn, or during almost any add/target change situation much like a potion.

I also run with a lot of ranking (norm 25) caster dps that doesn't like to wait though :-)

The belt enchants are sub-par, true, and using nitro boots is risky, but the side benefits of eng all around are great.... But if you have time and dedication to specifically maxing out port, smith/jc probably better...

Personally, I like the teleports, nitro boots (seem to fail less now then in dec/Jan) and extra Agro from gloves... I suppose a huge stock of str pots would also work, but I don't like herbing or using consumables that heavily
Sur-Pseudo

Return to Basic Training & Talents