Remove Advertisements

Hey new tank here not sure about my talent spec

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Hey new tank here not sure about my talent spec

Postby Kokaina » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:27 am

Hey everybody. Well started playing WoW again recently and decided I was going to start a pally tank. I previously was a rogue before I stopped playing. So yeah it's been a big confusing change. I am at lvl 74 now and my talent spec is looking like this. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/thunderlord/kokaina/talent/primary So this is what was confusing me. I see these things about AoE tanking and Single target tanking. Now I'm guessing I should be going with AoE tanking since single target tanking I guess will be more for raids in the end. Is that right? So does anybody have a spec I can follow for AoE tanking, if that is what I should be doing? Because all the ones I do see looked like they deal with single target tanking. Any help would be great
Kokaina

Re: Hey new tank here not sure about my talent spec

Postby Kokaina » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:03 am

Saw the theckhd's post which was great guess I should be going with this spec than http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sZGMhsRddkMucbG
Kokaina

Re: Hey new tank here not sure about my talent spec

Postby xstrykr » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:32 pm

For the record, single-target tanking doesn't necessarily mean just end-game raid tanking, it is what it implies, you're tanking a single mob; while AoE tanking is tanking multiple (3+ usually) mobs at the same time.

Most raiding tanks (not just tankadins) have a spec that is biased towards single-target tanking not just because it emphasizes those single-target threat talents, but because that's 99% of what a tank does. Even if you look at the talents, the vast majority of the talents are emphasized for a single target. ALL tanks can tank a multi-mob pack well enough because they all have similar tools. It's just a matter of how well those tools are improved with talents.

The spec that you linked is a good balance between improved AoE tanking and single-target tanking, which is mainly what you'll get out of heroics. Note that there are really very few talents the improve our AoE tanking - the majority of the ones that are mandatory (HotR, WotL, GC to a lesser extent) are already in any build. The only questionable talent for AoE tanking would be Hallowed Ground, the details of which I won't go into here since Theck has done tons of research on it in the Advanced Forum.
xstrykr

Return to Basic Training & Talents