CC breaker

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

CC breaker

Postby Venoym » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:07 am

Hi All,

I did a search and couldn't find anything yet, but I wanted to share something I've noticed in Cata Heroics.

Avengers Shield breaks CC on a bounce

Setup, Skull and X targets are on the left. Moon (repent) is next and hex or root is on the right.

Repent/hex pull. Shield throw Skull... bounce breaks Repent or root. It seems to respect Hex and possibly sheep. However it breaks Repentence, Root, Sap, Frost Trap, etc.

I remember a patch at or before about 3.1 that FIXED this behavior so that Avengers Shield would not break Repentence and the other CC, but it seems it has been lost in the Cataclysm... Anyone have similar experiences?
Venoym

Re: CC breaker

Postby Gaxby » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:44 am

All I know about this is that Blizzard programmed Avenger Shield to not bounce to CC targets. However, I wouldn't categorize roots as CC though compared to sheep or hex.
Gaxby, Energizer Pally of Grim Batol
Gaxby

Postby Venoym » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:17 am

I realize that it is not supposed to break CC on a bounce. Yet it does. I know it breaks Repent, shakle undead, shakle elemental, and Root (I run with guild ret pally and druid most of the time). I don't know much beyond that.
Venoym

Postby RedAces » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:55 am

hey,

Venoym wrote:I realize that it is not supposed to break CC on a bounce. Yet it does. I know it breaks Repent, shakle undead, shakle elemental, and Root

Very rarely... almost all the time it doesn't bounce to CC'ed targets but there always 1+ situations per instance where it does open a CC. At least EU-Aman'thul Server ;)

Bye, RedAces.
Last edited by RedAces on Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedAces

Postby majiben » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:25 pm

I find the issue is usually caused by launching AS before the CC has landed. It seems the targets for AS are selected on the throw not on its first hit. Try launching AS later and see if the behavior clears up for you.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby DJSticky » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:41 pm

As far as I know the shield has no problem smashing into any ROOT Effects or SNARES. However incapacitate, poly or fear effects it will steer clear of.
DJSticky

Postby Dantriges » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:46 pm

Huh? I got the feeling that it doesn´t respect fear.

Som ecc breaks seem to happen because of CCing mobs when you throw the shield or so. Seems to me that targets are selected at launch. Fear, well I had a feared mob standing close to another one and he stll got hit by AS.
Dantriges

Postby Chicken » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:14 pm

Dantriges wrote:Huh? I got the feeling that it doesn´t respect fear.

Som ecc breaks seem to happen because of CCing mobs when you throw the shield or so. Seems to me that targets are selected at launch. Fear, well I had a feared mob standing close to another one and he stll got hit by AS.
Yeah, fear is definitely not on the list of 'Ignore because it's CC' effects. I also often have Searing Totems decide it's fun to nuke the mob I've feared, while those are supposed to ignore CCed mobs as well.
Chicken

Postby Jarvick » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:43 pm

Ran heroics today with a Hunter, his trap was used in 90% of our cc pulls, my shield didn't break his trap one time.
Jarvick

Postby Invisusira » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:26 pm

All it is is client -> server lag. If you toss your shield just as the mage is finishing sheeping, the client -> server -> client lag may make it look like you're hitting a sheep when in reality you simply didn't give the mage enough time to finish his cast.
Invisusira

Postby Arjuna » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:44 am

bah, tanked through deadmines hc yesterday without any cc at all...hello tbc, welcome back :P
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby theothersteve7 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:51 am

All that being said, it's worth noting that it does indeed still hit root. Technically snares aren't proper CC; fear may count too. Root is durable enough to take a shield hit anyway, so no harm done.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby Aerron » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:14 am

Chalk up another experience where it didn't break ice trap. Ran Stonecore yesterday with a hunter cc-ing and I specifically saw my AS hit two targets and then bounce past the trapped mob to hit the third beyond that one.

If you're running a heroic with a CC you think AS might break, change up how you do your pull and it shouldn't be an issue. IMO, the theme of Cata is Flexibility, not Plug-and-Grind.
Aerron

Postby culhag » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:12 am

Also of note is that, like AS, HotR ignores CC'd mobs, so you can cleave all you want next to controlled mobs. (be careful with Holy Wrath, though !)
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Arcand » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:50 pm

Are you really sure about that? I've broken CC a few
times where there didn't seem to be any explanation other
than the splash damage from Hammer*.

I do agree about AS; that hits your target and won't chain
from there unless it can find an un-CCed second target.

*Or damage from the DPS which I didn't see at all and
which occurred very close to the instant I hit Hammer.
Arcand

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents