Group Finder Dumb Question

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Group Finder Dumb Question

Postby Discus » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:39 am

I'll risk exposing my total noobness by asking a dumb question. Since I hit level 84 Throne of Tides and Blackrock Caverns have disappeared from my group finder list. I've found and completed both once with group finder (normal) but they no longer appear on my list of available dungeons (not locked, just not there at all). Is this a bug or standard?
Discus

Re: Group Finder Dumb Question

Postby Goodheart » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:45 am

That's by design, the dungeon finder sets a minimum and maximum level to queue for a dungeon. You can still assemble a group and go through the portal offcourse, or go there on heroic once you're level 85.
Goodheart

Postby Discus » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:18 am

Thanks, I had a horrible feeling that was the case. I wish I'd done them more before hitting 84 now as in our tiny guild assembling a group isn't easy. This wasn't the case in WotLK with dungeon finder.

Anyone know Blizzard's reason for this?
Discus

Postby Goodheart » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:22 am

Don't know the reason but there is also no reason to go back.
The gear will be replaced by the high level quests/dungeons and if you still need quests there you can also complete them in heroic mode.
Goodheart

Postby Arcand » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:53 am

My concern would be wanting to have the boss (and trash) mechanics down before
I try the instances on heroic. As it happened I'd done all the sub-max dungeons
quite a few times before they fell off my list, but that was luck - I didn't know
they were going to.
Arcand

Postby cerwillis » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:58 am

The problem that we have had is that when 85s try to run with 82-83s, is that we get Stonecore every_time. Summoning some noobs to Vortex Pinnacle was helpful last night, because we got that one as well, but that's a bit out of the way for people that aren't working on Uldum yet.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Njall » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:00 am

cerwillis wrote:The problem that we have had is that when 85s try to run with 82-83s, is that we get Stonecore every_time. Summoning some noobs to Vortex Pinnacle was helpful last night, because we got that one as well, but that's a bit out of the way for people that aren't working on Uldum yet.

Oh god. I haven't been so lucky. I've gotten Vortex Pinnacle EVERY TIME (except for this one time, at Band Camp, where we got Stonecore but we don't really count that).
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:09 am

A friend found out that you can group with someone who has access to those dungeons via the LFD tool and they can specifically queue for it and bring you along.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Discus » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:59 pm

Don't know the reason but there is also no reason to go back.

For fun mainly and also to understand the boss mechanics before I try in heroic. Unfortunately I only ran both once as dps, wanting to learn the mechanics from an experienced tank before I attempted to tank even in normal (with random grps they dont like a tank who's learning fights).

What I still don't understand is why Blizz have introduced a max level for grp finder in some dungeons? What advantage is it to them or anyone? The only thing I can think of is to reduce numbers in Group Finder but I can't think why they'd or anyone would want that?

There must be a good reason I'm missing? :?:
Discus

Postby theothersteve7 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:03 pm

I believe this was recently hotfixed. You can now manually select those dungeons in the dungeon finder. I could be mistaken.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby bldavis » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:26 pm

Njall wrote:
cerwillis wrote:The problem that we have had is that when 85s try to run with 82-83s, is that we get Stonecore every_time. Summoning some noobs to Vortex Pinnacle was helpful last night, because we got that one as well, but that's a bit out of the way for people that aren't working on Uldum yet.

Oh god. I haven't been so lucky. I've gotten Vortex Pinnacle EVERY TIME (except for this one time, at Band Camp, where we got Stonecore but we don't really count that).

nothing that happens at band camp counts, at least thats what my gf told me........ :?

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Discus » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:14 am

I believe this was recently hotfixed. You can now manually select those dungeons in the dungeon finder. I could be mistaken.

I can't, got a GM response to my query "It is working as intended".

Given the number of rude kids I've come across in Cataclysm PUGs it may be academic anyway since I don't think I'll be doing many PUGs for a while.
Discus

Postby Flex » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:21 am

theothersteve7 wrote:I believe this was recently hotfixed. You can now manually select those dungeons in the dungeon finder. I could be mistaken.

No, the upper level was changed from 82 to 83 I believe.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby degre » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:40 am

Flex wrote:A friend found out that you can group with someone who has access to those dungeons via the LFD tool and they can specifically queue for it and bring you along.

Uh? Really? Might be specific to Cata dungeons, because if I try to do it with lower level dungeons I have those locked out with the sepicific message that someone is too high level for the content.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien | Sousuke
degre

Return to Basic Training & Talents