Returned to WoW, Talent and levelling advice sought

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Returned to WoW, Talent and levelling advice sought

Postby Saler » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:13 am

I had a 70 Shadow Priest and prot Warrior and a smattering of other classes at the end of BC but dropped WoW when Lich King launched. Friends have lured me back to the game though on a different server so no chance of getting heirlooms etc.

I've rolled a few characters to look at the new starting areas and am strongly considering a Paladin with a view to primarily tanking. With the changes to talents, however, my googling hasn't found any advice on a levelling spec for paladins in the new era going forwards.

I'd like to ask, therefore, firstly if levelling as Prot Spec will be relatively efficient (obviously how fun it is depends on me) and, if so, for any advice on a talent spec to level with.

I'm thinking at present that the below would probably work for the first fifteen talent points:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sZGMhso

Thanks
Saler

Re: Returned to WoW, Talent and levelling advice sought

Postby Vectors » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:52 am

I'm interested in the answer to this as well. I'm also going to be leveling as Prot with friends with the intention of being the only tank in our group. I have no prior experience with the Paladin class though, and the shakeup with the talent changes has made things a little confusing. Anyway, one of the friends I'm playing with leveled a Paladin to 80 recently, though I'm not sure as Prot. It's still definitely viable to level as Prot, though, especially if you're leveling with a group.

My friend gave the following talent build for leveling: http://wowtal.com/#k=-waS0EI.a67.paladin.. It seems to be the same as a tanking build, except Hallowed Ground instead of Reckoning. The focus is on getting Hallowed Ground and Hammer of the Righteous ASAP.
Vectors

Postby Kuridan » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:51 pm

Vectors wrote:My friend gave the following talent build for leveling: http://wowtal.com/#k=-waS0EI.a67.paladin.. It seems to be the same as a tanking build, except Hallowed Ground instead of Reckoning. The focus is on getting Hallowed Ground and Hammer of the Righteous ASAP.

I would advise leveling as ret until about level 31-33, prot doesn't get their major tools until then. Of course I leveled during BC so it could be easier to do it as prot now.

Skip Hallowed Ground for leveling, it is really only useful in dungeons for trash. If you are doing quests to level then the mobs are usually too far apart to be using consecration anyway. Reckoning is a much better talent for leveling. This is the order I would pick talents for a leveling build.
2 in Seals of the Pure - more damage
2 in Eternal Glory - heals to lower down time
1 in Divinity - just to get to the next level
3 in Toughness - reduce physical damage
2 in Improved Hammer - utility to stop casters, runners or reduce damage
1 in Hammer of the Righteous
3 in Sanctuary - reduces damage and gives mana back
2 in Wrath of the Lightbringer - more damage!
1 in Shield of the Righteous
2 in Reckoning - more damage!
1 in Grand Crusader - you need 1 point somewhere to continue, I like it here
1 in Holy Shield
1 in Vindication
2 in Guarded by the Light
1 in Hallowed Ground - you need 1 point to continue, you are probably running dungeons by now so it's worthwhile, the point can also go to Divinity.
3 in Shield of the Templar
2 in Sacred Duty
1 in Ardent Defender
3 in Crusade
2 in Improved Judgements
Now you are level 80
Kuridan

Postby Malthrax » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:29 am

I just leveled a fresh huntard from 1->58 in 36 hours /played, with only a single +10% exp heirloom. Its so fast now, its almost ridiculous.

Queue for a dungeon, queue for the daily random BG, pick up a gathering prof, and go quest. You'll be in Outland before you can blink.
Malthrax

Postby Koatanga » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:53 am

While I agree about being ret for a while, I disagree about the value of Hallowed Ground when leveling.

Young paladins have a hell of a time maintaining mana. Any instancing you do in that range, and you should instance a lot, you will have dps that will pull for you if you stop to drink.

I think Hallowed Ground addresses a couple of problems of early paladin tanking and should really be considered. It is in place of Reckoning, which while it is a very good talent is less useful for dungeoning, owing to emphasis of AoE threat over single-target threat.

As far as leveling goes, don't let being Ret in early levels stop you from tanking. Kuridan is right that you don't get many tank tools early in the tree, and even a mage can tank at early levels. The content is that nerfed. Ret will help with your threat, which you'll need becasue the DPS is just there to mow everything down as fast as they can pull it.

Use the LFG tool to queue as a tank as often as possible. You get nice experience, both in exp points and in tanking, and you get some nice blue items.

When you start to see the same stupid instance over and over and you get tired of it, do some quests for a while.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Saler » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:23 pm

Just to follow up and answer my own question. Am now level 32 and have been levelling as Prot. It's gone very well, a couple of rough spots in dungeons prior to getting consecrate but despite not having any heirloom gear I don't think it's been too much of a grind. Pre-20 I'd say it's a breeze in fact with how quickly mana restores before 21.
Saler

Return to Basic Training & Talents