Remove Advertisements

Movement and keybinding

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Movement and keybinding

Postby Vrimmel » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:17 pm

What is the best way to move while keybinding? I just find it incredibly more effective to click and move. I know keybinds are quite individual, but it is nice if you come with some examples of ways to manage this issue.
Vrimmel

Re: Movement and keybinding

Postby blakk » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:30 pm

Make your keybinds around where you have your movement keys. asdw or sdfe are good places for movement keybinds. every key touching those is a good keybind for a spell.
blakk

Postby Koatanga » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:46 pm

I use a Merc Stealth keyboard that has additional movement and number keys on the left of the keyboard. My movement keys are arrow-mapped so I can use them from right or left-hand.

So depending on the fight or the circumstances of the fight, I'll either use mouse or keyboard to move, or mouse to click, or use keybinds.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Vrimmel » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:14 pm

Well, I'm still able to move to a certain degree, my main issue is when having to change direction fast while still using rotation. What do top player tanks do?
Vrimmel

Postby Dazhbog » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:26 pm

Use the mouse to move more. Clicking and holding the right mouse button locks your turn keys into strafe keys, and moving the mouse while the right button is held spins your character (I think it's right. It's so ingrained now). Also, get used to jumping -> spinning -> landing in a new direction.

I use a Fang keypad and can hold a movement key (usually a strafe key), a mouse button, and still reach my ability hotkeys. Remember that strafing away from a mob allows you to remain facing it (so you don't lose blocks; can't block from behind!) while also running away at full speed.
Dazhbog

Postby Awyndel » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:48 am

The only way to move properly in this game is like in a first person shooter. With mouse and keyboard. No backpeddling, no keyboard turning, no clicking to move. You then bind your spells to hotkeys around your keyboard hand, and use modifier keys to bind more of them or use different targeting.

Some healers might use a slightly different setup if they are required to click/mouse over their raid frames. But ignore that as a tank/dps.

I know there are plenty of ppl out there doing fine in another way. But I bet you that when you need to improvise on a high movement heroic mode you WILL bite the dust. Also there is just no other way you can keep a full rotation while strafe kiting a boss.

If you have never played a first person shooter I suggest you install one of the 150 they release each month and play it for a few weeks. What also really helps is unbinding your backpeddle and keyboard turning keys for a month.
Awyndel

Postby Palisade » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:15 am

Dazhbog wrote:Use the mouse to move more. Clicking and holding the right mouse button locks your turn keys into strafe keys, and moving the mouse while the right button is held spins your character (I think it's right. It's so ingrained now). Also, get used to jumping -> spinning -> landing in a new direction.

I use a Fang keypad and can hold a movement key (usually a strafe key), a mouse button, and still reach my ability hotkeys. Remember that strafing away from a mob allows you to remain facing it (so you don't lose blocks; can't block from behind!) while also running away at full speed.

This.
This is very important for a tank in general. Practice this while duo or otherwise group questing. I find it amusing to put on auto run while mounted and just spam jump + mouse spin :lol:
Palisade

Postby Vrimmel » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:54 pm

I think maybe I might have been a bit unclear on my background. I've played this game for over 2 years. I don't keyboard turn and I am well familiar and comfortable with all movement types. I guess I could classify myself as a hybrid clicker (or not any more since I recently have hidden my actionbar completely).

For circle strafing I used to use eg. left strafe key and right turn key at the same time.

Anyways, bound the two strafe keys next to eachother now which has helped a lot.

Setup
Strafe L: E
Strafe R: R
Turn left: D
Turn right: F
Move forwards: T
Move backwards: G
Vrimmel

Postby Palisade » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:36 am

I actually use the basic movement QWERTY keys already bound into the game, particularly for strafing. I'll move with the mouse, and use the strafe keybindings, which iirc are Q and E, for left and right.

They're right next to my immediately abilities, 1 to 6 and f1 to f5.
Palisade

Postby inthedrops » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:02 pm

For movement:
A = strafe left.
D = strafe right.
W = move forward
S = move backward.

There are no other movement keys (no turn binds).

All movement is done with some combination of those keys and the mouse (by holding down the right mouse button). Change camera angle by holding down the left moues button.

Disable the option that makes your camera "return" when you let go of the left mouse button. This way you can set an angle and leave it alone.

Additional habits that work well for me include:
1. Changing max camera range to be larger.
2. Looking "down" on the battlefield moreso than "out".
(example in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opNf3VCnOqk. Notice how I look down when positioning LK for Valk spawns in P2)

I also agree with the FPS advice. That's basically how movement should be done.

Finally, using Grid + Clique (or equivilant) keeps your options open when you need to do a targeted ability on a player while on the move.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Vrimmel » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:58 pm

Right now I'm using.

E-turn left
R-turn right
D-strafe left
F-strafe right
T-move forwards
G-backpaddle

This setup makes it easy for me to strafe and use whatever ability I want. Index finger on D or F and then I have three fingers free which I can move around easily to reach all keys. Strafe keys next to eachother is great for fast movement changes. I could probably disable my turn keys, but I like using them when I'm flying or running around and using my right hand for eating/drinking/smoking
Vrimmel

Return to Basic Training & Talents