Remove Advertisements

4.0 Tankadin FAQ - Protection Paladin Basics.

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: 4.0 Tankadin FAQ - Protection Paladin Basics.

Postby Rhiannon » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:52 pm

I've got to say, re: the Grand Crusader comments, you've been slamming the talent for the past few days but as you know Theck's numbers suggest it's s reasonably viable option, at least compared to most of the other minor threat increases. I honestly don't think it's that complicated to use properly either, certainly not in "Advanced FAQ only" territory. Simply following the 3HP SotR > CS > Judge > AS > HW priority makes it fall out just fine.
Rhiannon

Postby knaughty » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:11 pm

Rhiannon wrote:I've got to say, re: the Grand Crusader comments, you've been slamming the talent for the past few days but as you know Theck's numbers suggest it's s reasonably viable option, at least compared to most of the other minor threat increases. I honestly don't think it's that complicated to use properly either, certainly not in "Advanced FAQ only" territory. Simply following the 3HP SotR > CS > Judge > AS > HW priority makes it fall out just fine.

The GrC numbers came out (much) better than I expected, and my criticism of it has thus become more muted – the GC related sections of my FAQ have already been updated to reflect Theck’s research of the last 24 hours.

I still think that for the primary targets of my Basic FAQ that skipping Grand Crusader for this week is the right solution. If you haven’t been practicing 939 for the last couple of weeks, learn that first, then learn how to insert the proc.

It’s worth noting that I had to do a reasonable amount of writing without the advantage of having Theck’s latest MATLAB pass – I was working off the numbers from page 80-ish of the rotation thread, which were lot more negative re GrC. I’ve done a basic sanity check against his new data from page 100-ish and Theck’s checked it as well. The guide is defensibly correct at the moment.

I’ll look at adjusting I’ll look at adjusting my tone after I’ve had a chance to play the game! (And after I’ve had some more time to absorb the new numbers).

I’m also expecting that GrC will be “fixed” reasonably quickly, so writing a pile of stuff about how to use it properly in 4.0.1 may end up being a complete waste of time if it’s fixed in 4.0.3!

TL;DR: Criticism noted and will be taken into account for the 4.0.3 version of the guide.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Faecroll » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:07 am

Quick question in regards to block cap and diminishing returns, running the script from one of the other forums in game *

/script dr=function(x)return 1/(1/16+0.9560/x)end;DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 102.4 combat table coverage. Currently at: "..string.format("%.2f", GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()+GetParryChance()+5+dr(GetCombatRating(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL)/122.962)))

Once we are at that cap its basically stam and str we are stacking until Cata when the amount goes up correct?( if hit capped ,expertise capped, etc... ) I'm currently sitting at 103.71 ( 102.4 being the cap obviously) with 23 expertise ( glyphed) - I tried reforging my libram ( lowest amount item ) but went under the cap so its ok to sit over the cap and toss in an expertise gem ( Resolute Ametrine) or should I just keep gemming stam ?

Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.
- Unknown
Faecroll

Postby Uprisen » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:32 am

Looking for a tank/spank macro because I'm lazy like that. Is this right?

/castsequence reset=8 Crusader Strike, Judgement, Crusader Strike, Avenger's Shield, Crusader Strike, Shield of the Righteous, Crusader Strike, Judgement, Crusader Strike, Holy Wrath, Crusader Strike, Shield of the Righteous
Last edited by Uprisen on Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uprisen

Postby knaughty » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:37 am

1% over or under cap isn;t going to make a massive difference, but given the choice, I'd pick "over cap".

For Halion (who has parry haste) I'd ensure 26+ expertise (I run it with 46+) but for other stuff, I'd gem stam.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby Faecroll » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:41 am

yea thanks Knaughty - went 8.26% hit 28 expertise and 18.24 mastery which puts me overcap on all those with 20.99 dodge 20.93 parry - seems to be just fine - Ill do Algalon later in the week to seem how truckish he still is- thanks for the quick reply.

Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.
- Unknown
Faecroll

Postby Scotty » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:07 am

Given that this is the Basic guide I'd suggest that people are going to want to know about other basic stuff like hit, expertise - that sorta thing.

I'm not saying that you need to document that stuff yourself Knaughty ... but links to the relevant posts would be worthwhile.

And much thanks for the guide (and the chuckles each time I read it)
Scotty

Postby Dilvish » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:06 am

After spending some quality time with a practice dummy I tested these suggestions in heroic halls of reflection last night and everything went very smoothly. Hitting ICC10 normal tonight.
Dilvish
Maintankadonor

Postby 2Cute2BeStr8 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:41 am

So my only question is once you have 3 HP, and you have judgment up should you use judgment before shield slam to try and get the crit buff if its not up or just instantly use your holy power.
2Cute2BeStr8
Maintankadonor

Postby Zalaria » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:12 am

2Cute2BeStr8 wrote:So my only question is once you have 3 HP, and you have judgment up should you use judgment before shield slam to try and get the crit buff if its not up or just instantly use your holy power.

If you've done the 939 right, judgement won't be up.

Code: Select all
cs, j, cs, as/hw, cs, shor
    ^                 ^ judgement is still on cooldown
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby glmacedo » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:31 am

One question that may be considered stupid... Yesterday, I was testing both CS and HotR on a test dummy and each of them were hitting for about the same damage (a difference of 10 or so dmg in favor of CS), and their mana costs are about the same as well (100 mana difference)

So for the sake of simplicity, why not ignore CS for all but single target bosses and just go to town with HotR?
glmacedo

Postby nznova » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:53 pm

I'm really surprised to hear that Hallowed Ground is not worth taking. Without the 80% cost reduction on consecrate, isn't it going to be too expensive to ever use?
nznova

Postby knaughty » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:18 pm

glmacedo wrote:So for the sake of simplicity, why not ignore CS for all but single target bosses and just go to town with HotR?

In end-game gear, apparently HotR hits harder. There's an update coming in 5 minutes.
nznova wrote:I'm really surprised to hear that Hallowed Ground is not worth taking. Without the 80% cost reduction on consecrate, isn't it going to be too expensive to ever use?

I ran some heroics last night with 0/2, AE tanking all the trash, and never got below half mana that I noticed. You don't need Hallowed Ground.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby Draslin » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:25 pm

Quick Question (did a search but couldn't find anything useful) - Does Eye for an Eye work on boss fights where there is lots of tank magic damage coming in? Been considering picking it up in this spec (over improved judgement) for heroic sindragosa 10. The strat we use basically uses one tank until he dies, then the other swaps in and finishes out the fight. Eye for an eye could be a considerable amount of threat and damage dealt back to the boss, especially when arcane buffet and frost aura are considered.

Thanks!

Dras
Draslin

Postby ck5uperman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:44 pm

Has this thread suggested in the most recent update that CS is pointless?
ck5uperman

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents