4.0 Tankadin FAQ - Protection Paladin Basics.

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: 4.0 Tankadin FAQ - Protection Paladin Basics.

Postby knaughty » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:52 pm

theckhd wrote:
CS is an OK 3rd prime for AE

I assume that was supposed to be s/CS/HotR, or else s/AE/ST

I subbed CS in for HotR but forgot to adjust the wording. Fixed.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby knaughty » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:41 pm

Just a quick update from the field: 

Based on first three raid targets, the correct raiding build will be to maximize WoG. We've killed OmegaTronRobotCouncil and Tol Barad, and given GenieTriplePlayBoss enough of a try to understand the mechanics, ShoR is used for snap aggro on the pull and for locking down a taunt or target switch. Outside first 10 seconds of a boss fight, you don't generally need the threat from ShoR, while the healing from WoG is both substantial and useful. Yes, those are different things. I keep being asked b beakers "Zomg! Where'd that heal come from?"

General pace of combat is much slower - you do have time to act to shit. You can spend enormous amounts of time not topped off, you only need full health for boss specials, not the next swing. Reactive use of CDs is thus possible. I'm using the two 20% CDs ver frequently as "help the healer catch up" cool downs. You can pop them preemptively to save some healer mana. I'm stacking them for a real CD or using GAnK.

Put the PBAoE heal on you bars. Very useful in heroics - there's lots of "stack up and take damage" phases. Your healer will appreciate the help.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby Ojimaru » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:56 pm

Question regarding pulling: Which would be a better sequence?

a) Divine Plea > Avenging Wrath + Inquisition > Avenger's Shield > Judgement

or

b) Divine Plea > Avenger's Shield > Judgement > Avenging Wrath > Shield of the Righteous

(or does Avenging Wrath and Inquisition stack at all?)
Ojimaru

Postby knaughty » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:09 pm

Ojimaru wrote:Question regarding pulling: Which would be a better sequence?

a) Divine Plea > Avenging Wrath + Inquisition > Avenger's Shield > Judgement

or

b) Divine Plea > Avenger's Shield > Judgement > Avenging Wrath > Shield of the Righteous

(or does Avenging Wrath and Inquisition stack at all?)

My best guess is:

c) Divine Plea -> Avenging Wrath -> Judgement -> Avenger's Shield (if it fits) -> ShoR

Reasoning:
  1. Inquisition isn't optimal for single-target use.
  2. Judgement is our hardest hitting ability once you include the ShoR crit proc.
  3. AS is pretty damn good as well, especially glyphed.
Thus: You want to boot them with AW as well as the ShoR.

Tip: If you want a seriously OP threat lead in the first 5 seconds, and you have a gentle trash-pack before the boss:

1. Save 3 HP from last trash pack.
  2. Engage boss quickly
  3. Wings -> ShoR -> DP -> ShoR -> 939
  4. 10 seconds into boss fight, switch to WoG spam. You'll have an unassailable threat lead.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:11 am

I've been saving AW and DP for about 10 seconds into the fight rather than using them on the pull. In other words, I pull with

Judge->AS->CS->Cons->CS->(AS or 0.5+Jud)->CS->AW+SotR->DP->SotR->939

This should give slightly more overall threat, provided you can manage the first 10 seconds without AW. It guarantees that you'll get 3 SotR's in during AW, allows you to build up stacks of Censure first, and gives Vengeance a little time to stack up. I usually run with a rogue or hunter, so the first 30 seconds on a boss aren't usually a problem; the bigger concern is making sure that I eclipse the highest DPS player before Tricks runs out.

After 30-60 seconds, threat usually becomes trivial enough that I can switch to WoG spam, and often Seal of Light on progression fights.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby brainwashed » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:59 pm

Is there a cheat cheat or translator for the common abbreviations used? I'm not understanding half of the abbreviations listed and would love to be able to follow the guide. It looks amazing.

Maybe I could look at Wowhead with the class spells open and try to see what matches where.

Thanks in advance and sorry to be a rookie.
brainwashed

Postby knaughty » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:11 pm

brainwashed wrote:Is there a cheat cheat or translator for the common abbreviations used? I'm not understanding half of the abbreviations listed and would love to be able to follow the guide. It looks amazing.

Maybe I could look at Wowhead with the class spells open and try to see what matches where.

Thanks in advance and sorry to be a rookie.

There is a glossary posted somewhere - I'll add it to the list of links.

Thinking about it, given this FAQ is potentially the first place people look, I'll add the top dozen abbreviations to the FAQ so people can understand WTF I'm talking about.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby brainwashed » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:17 pm

knaughty wrote:Thinking about it, given this FAQ is potentially the first place people look, I'll add the top dozen abbreviations to the FAQ so people can understand WTF I'm talking about.

That would be invaluable to me. Thank you.
brainwashed

Postby Ojimaru » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:39 pm

What? There are people who actually can't tell the difference between DS, DP, DPl, DSt and DG?

But yeah, a glossary in one of the keystone posts in these forums should help standardise the use of some abbreviations.

#deathtoabbreviations
Ojimaru

Postby gjm777 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:48 am

Awesome OP.

As playing mostly ret, I really don't care for the reliance on RNG at the moment, and wanted to try my hand at tanking. It's kind of daunting with the cata content, and now that I'm 85, I can't really queue up for the 80is dungeons, so it's hard to get practice. I just don't want to screw up and waste peoples time, as patience seems to be thin most of the time. Any advice on getting practice? Regardless, this guide helps out so I thank you for your effort.
A question I had was consecration is almost impossible for me to use as its just too mana expensive. I currently do not have any points into hallowed ground though, so mostly I have been using inq/HW in its place. Is this normal?
Here is a link to my build, but I will update my sig as well.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/t ... n/advanced

Thanks again.
Trevlon US/Thrall
Armory Link
gjm777

Postby DexterBelgium » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:48 am

I think that's a good basic Frequently Asked Question that a lot of people who have in the distant past played a prot pally will be asking now, and the answer is: YES. Consecration has been demoted to an ineffectual mana hog of a spell, which should only be broken out when swarmed with mobs, and then only while under the influence (of Inq). I personally prefer not to spend points in hallowed ground (seeing as its not that great of a talent), and just work "around" consecration.
DexterBelgium

Postby inthedrops » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:41 am

gjm777 wrote:Awesome OP.

As playing mostly ret, I really don't care for the reliance on RNG at the moment, and wanted to try my hand at tanking. It's kind of daunting with the cata content, and now that I'm 85, I can't really queue up for the 80is dungeons, so it's hard to get practice. I just don't want to screw up and waste peoples time, as patience seems to be thin most of the time. Any advice on getting practice? Regardless, this guide helps out so I thank you for your effort.
A question I had was consecration is almost impossible for me to use as its just too mana expensive. I currently do not have any points into hallowed ground though, so mostly I have been using inq/HW in its place. Is this normal?
Here is a link to my build, but I will update my sig as well.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/t ... n/advanced

One possible way to practice would be to solo something potentially difficult and try to stay alive. It won't help with the skills in picking up adds and saving others, but it will help with the skills os staying alive while avoiding damage and pushing buttons.

Just as an example, enter into some of the new zones on regular mode and tank the first trash pack by yourself. Stuns, interupts, LoH, WoG'ing, paying attention to which mob is doing what, keeping things in front of you, utilizing line of sight, all of these things come into play when you're in a situation which can kill you pretty quick.

Once you're good at keeping yourself alive, it'll be easier to divert your attention to keeping others alive.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby econ21 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:17 pm

I would rephrase the answer on seals a little. It goes against the grain, but I am finding seal of insight absolutely amazing for soloing, heroic 5 mans and PvP. Switching from truth to insight is like night and day. I can't comment about raiding, as I have not done it yet post-Cata, but suspect with vengance, we CAN usually afford to lose 1/6 of our tps. At least past a certain point in the fight. Indeed, for tanking proper, my hunch is that it is probably best to switch seals - start off with truth, when you need to lock down aggro (esp. on adds), then switch to insight when survival/healer mana starts to be an issue. [My own mana is also more of a problem for me in 5-mans than I anticipated and insight trivialises that.]
econ21

Postby knaughty » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:37 am

@econ21: I'll test it after the holidays. I'm in the country with nothing but an iPad. Sounds logical.

No computer or decent Internet means the Jaguar is getting a massive amount of work, however!
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby Awyndel » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:46 am

theckhd wrote:Judge->AS->CS->Cons->CS->(AS or 0.5+Jud)->CS->AW+SotR->DP->SotR->939

That sounds perfect for threat. But I am a little bit concerned about pulling without holy shield up. How do you go about dangerous pulls on survival fights?
Awyndel

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents