Taunting Basics

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: Taunting Basics

Postby Treck » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:33 pm

Arcand wrote:See Horde Champions or Anub'arak or Dreamwalker for situations where you can very easily have both taunts on cooldown and wish you had a third.

Thats a bit different, Taunts are on CD since your picking up adds, not from resists.
It is so rare that i ever see a taunt miss that once i do, i am completely taken by suprise.
On Saurfang i wanna keep my taunts so that i can taunt the beasts from people and i cant remember the last time a taunt missed.
On Sindrigosa i have to admit, each time i taunt, i press BOTH taunts at the same time.
I remember once i missed my initial taunt, and that still haunts me so that i need to press both to make sure i get him, should that fail, i can always BoP the other tank.
Ok LK when we swap tanks entering the valk phase, i cant use my RD to taunt LK, since then ill get the ragings aswell, and to make sure that one taunt doesnt miss, i always jump into remorseless winter and taunting LK during the first transition, so that if thatsone misses the 2nd one just cant miss. Still cant remember any time this has happened.
I think i got about 140 hitrating in my gear, and i havnt used RD glyph since Anub.

Both Algalon and Saurfang was easy enough to work around tauntmisses with BoP, while you might be using BoP to reduce blood power gain on saurfang, you had no other use for it on Algalon, also algalon was never a "taunt now or wipe" fight, well, not by fight mechanics atleast, but seeing how hard he hitted in the beginning it could result in a wipe if you announce your swapping tanks and healers starts healing the other tank, and no switch occurs.
Treck

Postby Arcand » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:56 am

Treck wrote:
Arcand wrote:See Horde Champions or Anub'arak or Dreamwalker for situations where you can very easily have both taunts on cooldown and wish you had a third.

Thats a bit different, Taunts are on CD since your picking up adds, not from resists.

Nothing I've said has been about resists anyway - somebody else brought that up.
My comments have just been to the effect that Hand of Protection is valuable
because sometimes, whether they've been effective or not, HoR and RD are on cooldown.
Arcand

Postby warden » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:52 am

Also, on a counter-note, if the other tank's taunts miss, you can bubble to force aggro onto him. I had this happen to a druid co-tank on saurfang heroic... his taunt missed, and he couldn't roar because of beasts, but bubble saved us to force aggro back onto him.

"Don't facepalm at me... Ret paladins don't facepalm each other. Its against the code!" -Anafielle
warden
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:13 am

Treck wrote:Both Algalon and Saurfang was easy enough to work around tauntmisses with BoP, while you might be using BoP to reduce blood power gain on saurfang, you had no other use for it on Algalon, also algalon was never a "taunt now or wipe" fight, well, not by fight mechanics atleast,

It was if the other tank got too many phase punches.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:06 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
Treck wrote:Both Algalon and Saurfang was easy enough to work around tauntmisses with BoP, while you might be using BoP to reduce blood power gain on saurfang, you had no other use for it on Algalon, also algalon was never a "taunt now or wipe" fight, well, not by fight mechanics atleast,

It was if the other tank got too many phase punches.

Even if you taunt once the other tank gets its application, your taunt will be off CD to try again before the next application, so you get 2 taunts (4 for paladins even).
In the case of something going wrong that leaves the other tank with to many, eather he gets 5 and gets teleported down (that even works as a strategy since once you get back up from the other realm the punch stacks are gone), or once he gets the application to many, you will still have 2 opportunities to taunt the boss before he gets to many and phase out.
Biggest "problem" or issue, is that the stacks doesnt line up as you want to (we always did 3-2-3-2-3-2, for whatever reasons sometimes that became 4-2-3-3-4 or such) but the only thing you really want to track of is to not start tanking upstairs with 4 stacks, but even then the timer for when the next application is pretty solid.
You just dont wanna taunt after each application stacking them both up at at both tanks at the same time.
Treck

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents